Freedom of the Seas drydock

We are undecided on our travel plans for 2015, but are looking at many different cruises. A Freedom of the Seas cruise during the first week of February is an option, but after looking into this date, I realized it is the first cruise out of her drydock. Would you hesitate to sail on a ship immediately after it's drydock?

And also, has anyone heard anything else about what may be happening during that drydock?

We booked early March not knowing about drydock, hopefully all the kinks will be worked out. We did an inaugural TA on the NCL Gem and there was a lot of work still being done as we sailed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We are undecided on our travel plans for 2015, but are looking at many different cruises. A Freedom of the Seas cruise during the first week of February is an option, but after looking into this date, I realized it is the first cruise out of her drydock. Would you hesitate to sail on a ship immediately after it's drydock?

And also, has anyone heard anything else about what may be happening during that drydock?

Since it's in drydock so long I can't imagine her not being finished. I would worry more if you booked the week before.

• 2 months later...
Any idea of what Freedom will get on her drydock?

My memories from last week's Captain's Corner briefing:

- Crypt being converted to cabins on the first floor and a specialty restaurant on top floor. About 100+ new passengers :(

- Cupcake venue going away

- Diamond Club becoming Concierge Lounge

- Card room on deck 14 becoming new Diamond Club

- Viking Crown Olive or Twist will replace the Crypt during the late hour disco events (much like other ships use the Viking Crown of late).

- It was not asked and was not volunteered what will be going in where the existing Concierge Lounge is on deck 10.

Those are the things I remember. She is going to be alongside doing some initial work at Freeport then will be in dry-dock proper for around 3 weeks. Sorry didn't take notes.

Edited by Scotty G
add info

- Crypt being converted to cabins on the first floor and a specialty restaurant on top floor. About 100+ new passengers :(

- Viking Crown Olive or Twist will replace the Crypt during the late hour disco events (much like other ships use the Viking Crown of late).

- It was not asked and was not volunteered what will be going in where the existing Concierge Lounge is on deck 10.

Those are the things I remember. She is going to be alongside doing some initial work at Freeport then will be in dry-dock proper for around 3 weeks. Sorry didn't take notes.

Interesting that the card/game room will not be a restaurant like Navigator.

Don't recall Crypt being large enough to accommodate 100 berths

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Don't recall Crypt being large enough to accommodate 100 berths.

I imagine they will put in other deck 3 staterooms in conference room areas like they did on Navigator. They may even be putting in the deck 12 staterooms forward of the spa area.

She will not be getting Dynamic Dining.

We were told differently…I guess they changed their minds after all the grumbling about Dynamic Dining.

They had said in August that Dynamic Dining is going to be instituted.

There was even talk of removing the Main Dining Room chandler and putting in a floor on the top dining room level to increase space…however that was not a certainty.

Edited by beachnative

I would never do an inaugural cruise or anything immediately post dry dock.

Just because they will still sail the ship even if things are not complete.

I believe people have posted about certain areas still having construction.

Plus there is much new staff and plenty of confusion with operations in general...

She will not be getting Dynamic

The Maire D' of the Freedom told us on our 8/31/14 sailing that the FOS will be getting Dynamic Dining during its dry dock. He discussed the logistics of restructuring the MDR, removing the Crypt etc, and his concerns over the galleys. Our waiters also discussed it with us.

We are not happy with this change since we believe the RCI ships have the most beautiful dining rooms at sea. The new restaurants will require reservations another responsibility to what used to be a care free vacation.

We were also told that DD will be implemented fleet wide. It truly shocks me that such a drastic change is being undertaken before it has even been tried and evaluated on the Quantum.