Captain Marvin or Native Ways...? Difference?

Lou2204

I'm checking out excursions in Cayman Island and see two companies mentioned, Captain Marvin and Native Ways. Not sure which one to choose, they seem very similar...?

Anybody here that has maybe tried both of them? and / or has a preference..?

Many thanks in advance

Lou

I believe Nativeway is a bit cheaper. I've done Nativeway 2 times and have had great experience both times. I love how the groups are smaller so much more attention given to you. Nativeway alway has group rates if you can get more than 10 people.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I've been out with both - several times with Capt. Marvins. Both are great tours. The workers for both are extremely helpful and friendly. I thought the Nativeway boat was a bit nicer. Also, Capt. Marvins is a larger operation. The day we went, the Nativeway boat was less crowded, but I've heard that is not always the case. Have a great time, whatever you decide.

I have been on numerous boats that Marvins runs. Some are nicer than others and of course certain dates are less crowded than others. I have been on their boats with less than 10 and I have been on their boats with approx 30. Of course less is best but for $40 per adult...as long as I have a seat I am good.

Good choice Lou2204, we just did our 3 trip with Chip and again it did not disappoint. Stingray City was crowded our day (we were only a boat of 11) so we did the snorkel, starfish and then the stingrays. He makes sure you get the best experience on your trip!

Both are long established tour operators with good reputations for running a solid tour.

Nativeway includes a lunch stop at Rum Point for at least some (perhaps all, not sure) of their stingray tours. I don't recall seeing Captain Marvin's boats pull in for a lunch stop at Rum Point.

Enjoy. I am sure you will have a great time regardless who's boat you get out on. A day in Grand Cayman will always be better than a day at work! :D

Haha, that is very true indeed;)

Captain Marvin's does tours to the captive dolphin place therefore I personally would never use them. (vote with my wallet)

Just making you aware in case that is a factor for you.

Thanks for sharing that, Carl. A very good point and I wasn't aware. We visited dolphins once in Bali, and decided there and then with the family we'd never do it again. I booked with Stingray Sailing in the end, especially because they were recommended for their respect for the animals.

Thanks!

Good choice Lou2204, we just did our 3 trip with Chip and again it did not disappoint. Stingray City was crowded our day (we were only a boat of 11) so we did the snorkel, starfish and then the stingrays. He makes sure you get the best experience on your trip!

Thanks Whoop98, that's good to hear! I did think they would be flexible and respectful of the animals.

Thanks for sharing that, Carl. A very good point and I wasn't aware. We visited dolphins once in Bali, and decided there and then with the family we'd never do it again. I booked with Stingray Sailing in the end, especially because they were recommended for their respect for the animals.

Thanks!

I went with Captain Chip and Stingray Sailing last time out and he was awesome. I had read that all the stingrays seem to know him and that they leave other boats and come to him when he shows up. I took that with a grain of salt when I read it but after going I can say from first hand knowledge that it is indeed true. He doesn't interact with them in the way that other tour guides do. You'll see when you go. (he is better) :)

I had a great time with them. The boat is great too. (Far Tortuga)

I am in Grand Cayman in May 2018 and reached out to Nativeway for availability 3xs and have yet to hear back from them. Has anyone ever had this issue who has used them?

Honestly, if I had not heard back after ONE try, I would not give them my business. THREE tries??? Go to Captain Marvin. Wonderful!!!!

Honestly, if I had not heard back after ONE try, I would not give them my business. THREE tries??? Go to Captain Marvin. Wonderful!!!!

Unfortunately Captain Marvin cannot accomodate us for the excursion we want due to the time our ship docks. One of my group used Nativeway and had a wonderful experience. None of the others have excursions with lunch/drinks which is what we want to do.

Every once in a while I hear people complaining about Nativeway not responding so it's not a one off. That being said, used them twice with no issues at all. Great price and service.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I am in Grand Cayman in May 2018 and reached out to Nativeway for availability 3xs and have yet to hear back from them. Has anyone ever had this issue who has used them?

How long a period between e-mails?

Check your junk mail/spam folders.

Have you tried contacting them via the web page form too?

They are on "island time" but I never had issues exchanging e-mails with them.

How long a period between e-mails? 2 DAYS

Check your junk mail/spam folders. YES several times

Have you tried contacting them via the web page form too? YES in addition to the emails.

See answers above. I actually just heard back from them today, about an hour ago. A little late though. We've booked with Captain Marvins since they were very responsive.

I had booked with Captain Marvin for last week. Unfortunately the Carnival Paradise changed itinerary and went to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. I've since heard that that happens fairly often. I was able to contact Captain Marvin from the ship to cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
How long a period between e-mails?

Check your junk mail/spam folders.

Have you tried contacting them via the web page form too?

I'm having the same issue. I've emailed and filled out the form on their site (Native Way) and still have not received a response, two weeks later. I'm going to book with someone, just wanted to have all my excursions booked a few months out.