Alumawallet (as seen on TV). Anybody have one?

JHCALLAHAN

Merry Christmas Eve Eve fellow cruisers!

Just saw a commercial for these on TV, and thought they might be keen for traveling and cruising. I had a brain fart a couple years ago and took my wallet snorkeling in Hawaii. I mean REALLY took it snorkeling! :D These claim to be waterproof which could come in handy.

I rarely buy cheesy stuff like that from TV commercials, usually wind up being a cheap piece of junk. These are very reasonable (a similar thing on Magellan's site is about three times the price) but don't want to waste my money if they're crap. Was curious if anyone has bought these and if they're any good.

Thanks for the info, and Merry Christmas to all!

JHC

You can get 3 of them for like $25 (total, including s&h). Magellan's travel gizmo site has something that looks similar for like $28.95 plus s&h. That's why I'm wondering about the quality. You can order something that looks similar from Hong Kong on EBay for 0.99 plus 1.99 s&h. Bet they're doozies!

JHC

Why not wait a little bit, and get it at Walmart, Walgreens or CVS, they always have those "As seen on tv" things for the same price and NO SHIPPING.

Good idea. I've also seen a small display of these items in our local grocery chain stores.

I also like to see and feel the quality (or lack of) before I buy.

I would also take the phrase "waterproof" with a big grain of Salt. Had an "Aqua Bag" Camera Case that was "waterproof". Killed a digital Camera. Had another "Water Safe" that was waterproof. Drowned a second Digital Camera. However, by putting that one in a bag of Rice, it dried out and is again working. Will spend more for the next waterproof case or take my trusty, truly waterproof, Minolta underwater camera that takes pics on Film.

• 3 weeks later...

I snorkel with this:

http://www.rei.com/product/752255

Have used it over and over without problems. A monkey bit it in Roatan and did not manage to get through! The only time it leaked was when I had a dollar in the opening. Even then, it just soaked a few dollars and not the camera batteries I had in it (I have a waterproof camera). Very happy with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, this is funny, I'm gonna answer my own question in case anyone else is interested in these. :D

Just a day or two before we left on our cruise a couple weeks ago, I went by Walgreens just for kicks and grins to see if these were out yet, and lo and behold they had them!!!! $10.99 I think they were. Since I'd looked for one forever, naturally I had to roll the dice and try one. Figured if it were trash at least I wasn't out much. Magellans sells something similar but they're close to $40 shipping and all.

Well, as it turned out this little gizmo worked out quite dandy for cruising, especially on board use. The latch is kinda strange, first time I opened it there was POP or CRACK kinda sound, I thought I broke the dern thing, but that's just what it does. Latch is a bit tough to open, especially with one hand, but never opened by accident, and seemed to loosen up a tad with use. It doesn't hold just a whole lot, but big enough for your S&S card, ID, and a credit card, plus a few bills but you pretty much have to fold them to 1/4 size. They're advertised as "water resistant" but it does have a bit of gap-osis so I wouldn't advise submerging it.

All in all, it was as good or better than I expected. Like most "as seen on TV" stuff it's a bit jinky, but no more than you'd expect. I'm quite pleased with it, plan on buying one for a spare in case the latch breaks on the one I have. I wanted silver, settled for red as they had no silver ones. Will buy a second in silver if I can find it.

Fair winds,

JHC

Archived