Foodie cruise -- what's the best?

travelingla

I realize I am open to receiving at least 1 million opinions with this question -- but would love to know if any 'food snobs' are on this section of the forum. I am looking to book a cruise for gals who enjoy nice restaurants and would love to cruise and have really good food.

Don't get me wrong - that is not the ONLY reason to cruise ......... we have enjoyed lots of cruise lines together and usually do enjoy the 'extra pay' restaurants the most.

Just curious if one ship seems to stand out above the others in providing higher quality offerings than perhaps some of the others.

I also know that within one cruise line the ship (chef) makes the difference. I've never gained weight on a cruise and I've actually LOST a couple of pounds when the food was substandard. High quantity does not equal high quality in my book.

Any one want to offer opinions??? We'd appreciate hearing from ya! :)

Edited by travelingla

If you are limited to mass market cruise lines, you are just not going to find cruise food that holds a candle to a good land based restaurant. Mass market cruise lines have too many factors stacked up against them: Very limited budget for food (so lack of high end ingredients/proteins), lack of access to fresh food (almost nothing is sourced locally and menus do not change based on the seasons), need to mass produce food and prepare much in advance rather than cook-to-order because of the number of people to be served, need to make food that is relatively "safe" - i.e. that appeals to the average cruiser, chefs that are following a menu set by corporate rather than creating menus based on their expertise of passion, etc. Specialty (extra pay) restaurants overcome some, but not all of these limitations. While better than the buffet/main dining room they are still not on par with good land based restaurants.

You will come closer to a good land based restaurant on some of the luxury lines such as Oceania, Regent etc, but these cost a good deal more. Of the mass market lines, Celebrity next month is starting a suite only restaurant that supposedly will utilize significantly higher quality ingredients, be cooked-to-order and use some ingredients sourced at ports-of-calls - so if able to splurge for a suite this would likely be a nice step up from normal mass market cuisine.

That said if by "food snob" you are used to dining at good quality land based restaurants I would not expect the cuisine on a cruise ship to be the main focal point of my vacation. Better of planning a land based trip to a city with great restaurants if food is at or near the top of the list of important factors for a vacation. Another option is to pick a cruise that begins or ends in a food friendly city, arrive a couple days early (or stay a couple days afterwards) and have a food centric pre-or-post cruise stay. Likewise depending on the ports-of-call one can sometimes have nice culinary experiences while ashore.

I am impressed how decent the food generally is on cruises given the limitations, but as someone who lives in Chicago and dines out a few times per week (and travels often to places like New York, Boston, San Francisco, Nashville etc. for food oriented trips) even specialty restaurants on cruise ships are way below a nice land based restaurant, so one must have realistic expecations or there will be disappointment.

Edited by Gonzo70

• 2 weeks later...

You may want to consider a river cruise---some of the best cruise food I've had was with Uniworld and they locally source their ingredients. I can only speak to the quality of food with Uniworld (3 cruises down and 1 coming up next week) but I've heard good things about other lines also. It's a completely different cruise experience on a river vs ocean vessel.

The food ranges from very good to excellent on Wind Star. I haven't sailed on them, but I've heard great reviews on Oceania, Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, and Silver Sea.

Unlike the above poster, I have heard numerous complaints about the food on many river cruises, although AMA and Avalon seem to get generally good reviews.

Bottom line, if you want higher end food you need to choose a higher end ship. Even the "premium" lines will probably not deliver what you are seeking.

From my experience:

$$$ -- go with Oceania. Wonderful food. Azamara is a good second place.

$$ -- Celebrity all the way. Dollar for dollar, best buy in cruises with excellent food.

$ -- NCL for the low end. But, you must purchase the UDP (ultimate dining package) and eat all evening meals in alternative restaurants. Stay out of the buffet and eat Breakfast/Lunch in the main dining rooms.

There you have it. :) Some day I will cruise Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea…,

Enjoy!

Kel

Vegas, baby! Great restaurants (although you will pay for it!!!), and the rooms will beat out a ship's cabin ANY day!

We went to Vegas for a vacay about 7 years ago, and it was one of the best trips we ever took. You can find good deals on rooms if you look, and even though the food can be expensive, it was all very good food. Even the "food court" in the Bellagio has amazing fare. Too bad it's an eight hour flight from the East Coast though, which is kind of a drag. New Orleans has phenomenal food too. We've thought of taking a Caribbean cruise out of the port of New Orleans, and then staying in the city for a few days after our return and disembarkation. Kind of a twofer vacation.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

• 4 weeks later...
Vegas, baby! Great restaurants (although you will pay for it!!!), and the rooms will beat out a ship's cabin ANY day!

We went to Vegas for a vacay about 7 years ago, and it was one of the best trips we ever took. You can find good deals on rooms if you look, and even though the food can be expensive, it was all very good food. Even the "food court" in the Bellagio has amazing fare. Too bad it's an eight hour flight from the East Coast though, which is kind of a drag. New Orleans has phenomenal food too. We've thought of taking a Caribbean cruise out of the port of New Orleans, and then staying in the city for a few days after our return and disembarkation. Kind of a twofer vacation.

Lorie

Vegas can be fun for many, but I find it "sleazy" after 24 hours. Been there many times, but I have no desire to return. The good food is very expensive. Adult fantasy land in a negative kind of way. If you've never been, it's worth a check out!:)

Kel

Vegas can be fun for many, but I find it "sleazy" after 24 hours. Been there many times, but I have no desire to return. The good food is very expensive. Adult fantasy land in a negative kind of way. If you've never been, it's worth a check out!:)

Kel

Agree with the sleaze factor. It just seems depressing. I've been there a dozen times and the only thing I return there for are the Cirque Du Soleil shows.

• 1 month later...

Oceania and Azamara are great for food but not much of a party. Holland is good across the board and great if you have any dietary concerns, The specialty on rccl is usually great. Bottom line, you get what you pay for. I like the great food of the high ends but like the activities of the big ships better.

We stayed in a suite on NCL Jade and we found having breakfast and lunch in the Cagney's restaurant to be a real treat. Maybe our standards are low, I don't know.

Cagney's Lunch

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Cagney's Breakfast

[YOUTUBE]BYgGcK5QUQY[/YOUTUBE]

• 5 weeks later...
We stayed in a suite on NCL Jade and we found having breakfast and lunch in the Cagney's restaurant to be a real treat. Maybe our standards are low, I don't know.

Cagney's Lunch

[YOUTUBE]jgLddY6LzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Cagney's Breakfast

[YOUTUBE]BYgGcK5QUQY[/YOUTUBE]

Love NCL food. Definitely a step above Royal Caribbean and Carnival

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
From my experience:

$$$ -- go with Oceania. Wonderful food. Azamara is a good second place.

$$ -- Celebrity all the way. Dollar for dollar, best buy in cruises with excellent food.

$ -- NCL for the low end. But, you must purchase the UDP (ultimate dining package) and eat all evening meals in alternative restaurants. Stay out of the buffet and eat Breakfast/Lunch in the main dining rooms.

There you have it. :) Some day I will cruise Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea…,

Enjoy!

Kel

Oceania by far is the best you can get and the best variety as well as quality ALL restaurants are all inclusive...no pay extra for any of them dedicated Steak and Chop venue, high end Italian venue, Aisian Fusion venue, Classic French venue, and then there is the main dining room For lobster lovers it is served every day at every place on the ship....even the pool grill waves you can get a Kobe beef burger or a Lobster and filet sandwich... Given this no-charge, huge range of variety and quality I rate them best food no question.

Oceania by far leaves crystal seabourn and silver seas in their wake... I say this as a foodie, who has trained professionally with Cordon Bleu and Culinary Inst. of America!!!

Celebrity, is about the same as Holland America... ok food but nothing that is really haute cuisine In both cases , even in the pay extra venues it is average main dining fare or gimmick stuff that is plated to a higher degree .

It looks better but in reality its the same stuff...it comes from the same refers/storage as all the on board. Because you think it is pretty looking and you had to pay $$$$ you convince your self it has to be better. Common marketing trick in the food service industry

I live a 3 hour drive from vegas Best food Michelin 3 star quality...( there are no 5 stars that's an American bravado thing most American 5 stars would be a Michelin 1.5 to 2 star)

Joel Robuchon... 3*** French... for 2 without wine expect $ 600... with wine add $300 so bring a grand

Guy Savoy.... 3*** French for 2 with wine paring, $1100. bring $1300 with you

in Napa Valley compare French Laundry Michelin 3*** , $ for 2 $600 add 250 to 400for wine Bring a Grand with you

Todays top chefs, are a demanding lot I I have met them... they have stuff flown in daily from around the world that is the finest ingredients anywhere. They have a very a very professional dedicated trained staff and they believe that people who want the best should be willing to pay for the level of perfection they deliver..... I agree.

Down side of vegas is that its a narrow little strip of glitz... walk 300 yards off the main strip and your in sleeze and squalor

Oceania by far is the best you can get and the best variety as well as quality ALL restaurants are all inclusive...no pay extra for any of them dedicated Steak and Chop venue, high end Italian venue, Aisian Fusion venue, Classic French venue, and then there is the main dining room For lobster lovers it is served every day at every place on the ship....even the pool grill waves you can get a Kobe beef burger or a Lobster and filet sandwich... Given this no-charge, huge range of variety and quality I rate them best food no question.

Oceania by far leaves crystal seabourn and silver seas in their wake... I say this as a foodie, who has trained professionally with Cordon Bleu and Culinary Inst. of America!!!

It is not altogether what is served or how many restaurants a ship has. It is also a bit about taste (which is slightly important to us). If you haven't sailed with Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, how can you accurately compare everyone's offerings taste-wise??

Celebrity, is about the same as Holland America... ok food but nothing that is really haute cuisine In both cases , even in the pay extra venues it is average main dining fare or gimmick stuff that is plated to a higher degree .

It looks better but in reality its the same stuff...it comes from the same refers/storage as all the on board. Because you think it is pretty looking and you had to pay $$$$ you convince your self it has to be better. Common marketing trick in the food service industry

While food is subjective, I have to agree with the above comments

I live a 3 hour drive from vegas Best food Michelin 3 star quality...( there are no 5 stars that's an American bravado thing most American 5 stars would be a Michelin 1.5 to 2 star)

Joel Robuchon... 3*** French... for 2 without wine expect $ 600... with wine add $300 so bring a grand

Guy Savoy.... 3*** French for 2 with wine paring, $1100. bring $1300 with you

in Napa Valley compare French Laundry Michelin 3*** , $ for 2 $600 add 250 to 400for wine Bring a Grand with you

Todays top chefs, are a demanding lot I I have met them... they have stuff flown in daily from around the world that is the finest ingredients anywhere. They have a very a very professional dedicated trained staff and they believe that people who want the best should be willing to pay for the level of perfection they deliver..... I agree.

Down side of vegas is that its a narrow little strip of glitz... walk 300 yards off the main strip and your in sleeze and squalor

As an alternative why not check out Bray in Berkshire. Population circa 9000,

Michelin Stars 7!

Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck 3* Michel Roux's Waterside Inn 3* Heston Blumenthals pub The Hinds Head 1*, additionally Heston Blumenthal also owns The Crown pub, whose food is also pretty good.

Michelin Stars 7!

Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck 3* Michel Roux's Waterside Inn 3* Heston Blumenthals pub The Hinds Head 1*, additionally Heston Blumenthal also owns The Crown pub, whose food is also pretty good.

The top is 3... I know of the Fat duck and his molecular menu Know the area used to stay at Clivden... They ruined my all time classic 2 british restaurants The Grill room at Café Royal and Tiddy dolls... The there was John Tovey up at Miller Howe.

There is a bit of a travel cost for me....l many thousands and if I use mfrequent flyer points they levy a 300 pp departure tax on the tickets

I would instead head to Roanne for Frer Trogoisos they boys who started the new French novella... Or Aubreige du Ill near Strasbourg.

It is not altogether what is served or how many restaurants a ship has. It is also a bit about taste (which is slightly important to us). If you haven't sailed with Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, how can you accurately compare everyone's offerings taste-wise??

On the above named ships they have far less variety and often charge $$$ for it like on crystal. Small ships mean smaller refers and less variety and menu options also fix seat 2 seating dining... only one or 2 options compared to 6 So for quality and variety and depth of resources I give Oceania a clear advantage over the others.

Taste is subjective... and many chefs/ hotels, restaurants gear their food for their demographic..

I have yet to find fault with Oceania quality, in all its venues.. Again more variety, choice and ability to produce product

Michelin Stars 7!

seven!!! The top is 3...

Read: Fat Duck 3* + Waterside Inn 3* + The Hinds Head 1* = 7 Michelin Stars

On the above named ships they have far less variety and often charge $$$ for it like on crystal. Small ships mean smaller refers and less variety and menu options also fix seat 2 seating dining... only one or 2 options compared to 6.

Just have to mention that Seabourn and Silversea do not have "fix seat 2 seating dining". You dine when, where and with whom you wish. Seabourn does not charge for any of its dining venues. Both lines also have more than "only one or 2 options" for dinner. Interestingly, we read the newest Silversea ship, the Muse, will offer eight dining options.