Bermuda - How much cash?

cruisedad2

Hi. How much cash do we need for our sailing on Celebrity to Bermuda for things like Harbor Nights (the Wednesday night festival) and other miscellaneous things on the island? Do most places take credit cards for other expenses? What about the vendors in Hamilton? Thank you in advance for your advice!

Hi. How much cash do we need for our sailing on Celebrity to Bermuda for things like Harbor Nights (the Wednesday night festival) and other miscellaneous things on the island? Do most places take credit cards for other expenses? What about the vendors in Hamilton? Thank you in advance for your advice!

I can't speak to how much money you should take, but if you're going to use a credit card, please ENSURE that you don't have to pay foreign transaction fees.

A lot of folks forget that Bermuda is not part of the US, and foreign transaction fees are assessed on credit card purchases.

Hard to answer how much cash; really dependent on your spending. Most places do take credit or debit cards. Buses are cash.

Keep in mind, Bermuda is expensive.

Should you run out of cash, ATM's are available.

I just spent a week in Bermuda and can tell you most places do take credit cards but also accept cash in US dollars so no need to order Bermuda currency beforehand. And as others have mentioned, make sure you use a credit card or ATM card that doesn't charge foreign currency fees.

The buses only take coins, no credit cards or bills, and bus drivers do not give change. It's much better to buy a bus pass, anyway, which includes the ferries as well. Ferries are definitely the fastest and most scenic way to get from the Dockyard into Hamilton or St. Georges. You can buy passes at the Information Center at the Dockyard using cash or credit cards. They are not sold on the buses so you must buy them beforehand. One thing to remember is that the bus pass is not based on 24 hours but expires at midnight, meaning if you buy a 1 day bus pass at 5pm, it expires at midnight that same day, not at 5pm the next day. I only mention this because some folks at our resort were not able to grasp this idea even after the poor concierge explained it twice.:rolleyes:

And best of all, the Swizzle Inn takes credit cards and STILL makes the best Rum Swizzles in Bermuda...free wifi, too!:D

Hard to answer how much cash; really dependent on your spending. Most places do take credit or debit cards. Buses are cash.

Keep in mind, Bermuda is expensive.

Should you run out of cash, ATM's are available.

Most of the ATMs dispense Bermuda currency so I advise against using them because if you have any left it will be difficult to exchange back to dollars. Best to use US dollars or credit cards for purchases.

One thing to remember is that the bus pass is not based on 24 hours but expires at midnight, meaning if you buy a 1 day bus pass at 5pm, it expires at midnight that same day, not at 5pm the next day. I only mention this because some folks at our resort were not able to grasp this idea even after the poor concierge explained it twice.:rolleyes:

A small clarification. The pass expires at midnight but from the day it is punched the first time which is not necessarily the same day you buy it. So you could buy it a day or week in advance. When you use it the first time on a bus or ferry they punch it to start the time period.

Edited by Charles4515

When on shore we carry about $300 cash, for anything we do that is cash only. We don't use the busses because I have my walker and taxi's can get expensive. Street vendors take cash but all stores take credit cards. Our tour guide mentioned it. If you go on an excursion thru Celebrity, it is paid for on your sea-pass. Hope this helps, have a great cruise:D

I just spent a week in Bermuda and can tell you most places do take credit cards but also accept cash in US dollars so no need to order Bermuda currency beforehand. And as others have mentioned, make sure you use a credit card or ATM card that doesn't charge foreign currency fees.

Is the exchange rate when paying in USD reasonable?

Is the exchange rate when paying in USD reasonable?

No exchange rate -- it's the same as the dollar. You can use either.

They now take credit cards (Visa/MC) to purchase the bus/ferry passes -- last year they only took cash.

Just about all bars/restaurants take credit cards. You'll just need cash to purchase from street vendors and the like.

I don't need the all day passes but want to catch the first ferry out of the dockyard after our ship arrives. I know you have to use US coins if paying in cash. Has anyone used dollar coins? I don't want to have to haul around a lot of quarters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't need the all day passes but want to catch the first ferry out of the dockyard after our ship arrives. I know you have to use US coins if paying in cash. Has anyone used dollar coins? I don't want to have to haul around a lot of quarters.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not positive since we've always used the passes but I don't think the ferries take cash. I'm looking at a ferry schedule right now and under fare information, it mentions only passes, tokens or tickets. I don't remember ever seeing a fare box like on buses. You can purchase tokens at the Visitor's Center so you don't have to carry a bunch of coins.

Not positive since we've always used the passes but I don't think the ferries take cash. I'm looking at a ferry schedule right now and under fare information, it mentions only passes, tokens or tickets. I don't remember ever seeing a fare box like on buses. You can purchase tokens at the Visitor's Center so you don't have to carry a bunch of coins.

The ferry schedule does list the cash price of $5 for adults, $2.75 for children 5 - 15.

It also says "Please ensure you have the correct fare before boarding". Since 5 $1 coins would be the correct fare I have to believe it would be acceptable...but I can't be absolutely certain.

The ferry schedule does list the cash price of $5 for adults, $2.75 for children 5 - 15.

It also says "Please ensure you have the correct fare before boarding". Since 5 $1 coins would be the correct fare I have to believe it would be acceptable...but I can't be absolutely certain.

Just looked on the Handy Map and under ferries it says only transportation passes, tokens and tickets are accepted. The person asking can just buy some tokens.;):)

Just looked on the Handy Map and under ferries it says only transportation passes, tokens and tickets are accepted. The person asking can just buy some tokens.;):)

The ferry schedule itself gives the cash prices and the exact fare information I quoted.

We spent $12 cash whilst on the "Summit" last month and that was for a couple of beers at Horseshoe Bay.. We got the bus/ferry pass and put it on a CC, had lunch in St George's put it on a CC. If you want a beverage, something to eat, chairs/umbrellas at a beach, use cash. CC's are accepted at just about all restaurants and shops and US currency is accepted everywhere. Whatever $$$$ you bring with you, you can always bring home what you don't spend.