Sting Ray Excursion with Toddlers

eb0803

Hi,

Does anyone have experience doing the sting ray excursion with kids. My husband and I plan to take our children (1&3) on this excursion more for the scenic views on the boat than anything. If the kids are up to it, we may attempt to get in the water while holding them of course.

Does anyone see any reason why this would be a bad idea? Our kids are generally pretty laid back, so we were thinking of just trying it out, and if we don't feel comfortable getting in we won't. If we do, we will.

You know your kids best. In my experience, most younger toddlers prefer to view the stingrays from a parent's shoulders. Even if they stay on the boat, they will see tons of stingrays, and it's very cool. I often stay on our boat when we take guests out to Stingray City, mainly so I can take pictures for them with their cameras.

The boat will have life jackets for them, but sizing/style may be an issue if they aren't used to the type they have, so if they have their own to bring that would be a good idea.

It's perfectly safe, and a very cool experience.

You know your kids best. In my experience, most younger toddlers prefer to view the stingrays from a parent's shoulders. Even if they stay on the boat, they will see tons of stingrays, and it's very cool. I often stay on our boat when we take guests out to Stingray City, mainly so I can take pictures for them with their cameras.

The boat will have life jackets for them, but sizing/style may be an issue if they aren't used to the type they have, so if they have their own to bring that would be a good idea.

It's perfectly safe, and a very cool experience.

Thanks for the info! Glad you mentioned them getting on someone's shoulders. I think my 3 year old will really like that to get a better view. I did actually buy two life jackets for them that I plan to bring.

I couldn't imagine going to Cayman Island and not getting out there to see the beautiful water. So excited now :)

Took my 3 year old to the stingray years ago. He clung to me as the waves can be too much for them. He enjoyed feeding them as well. As said, you know your kids best. We had to being a life jacket for him as they said they didn't have any small enough. Also we went with a small private company to avoid the big crowds of the ship excisions. We did it with Nativeway and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Actually we did this twice with them. The second time this past year our kids were older but our friend had a 3 year old and did fine.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Unless it's high tide, the water is not very deep and pretty calm. Very easy to hold your little ones without much trouble. Last summer took my 6 year old granddaughter and she's a good swimmer, but a little difficult with the water being higher and rough. I have back issues preventing me to climb the ladder, ( hardest part)! But we go with Moby Dick Tours Stingray City and Snorkeling. They are great with helping kids.

• 2 months later...

Took my nephew who was 4 at the time with stingray sailing and Chip and his wife were super! Chip sent his wife in a second van with a car seat and made sure everything was perfect! They will do anything they can to make sure you are taken care of. Sailed with them 3 times and will be booking again next April!

from personal experience, I probably wouldn't take a 1 and 3 yo on this.

Our kid is 6 now and we are just now thinking of taking him to Stingray city in two weeks.

We went on this excursion before the kid, and I had trouble standing still in the water. Even though it was rather shallow, the waves were flinging me back and forth. And I am a big woman and a good swimmer. Hubby is a much taller guy, he had no problems being anchored in water.

There was a woman on the boat with us and she had a kid with her, probably 10-14 month old, who fell asleep on the way to the stingray sandbar... The husband went frolicking with the stingrays, while the wife and kid stayed on the boat doing nothing. There are no scenic views in the middle of the ocean - you pretty much see the same stuff as on the cruise - water, water and more water.