Cunard and product differentiation

ren0312

More thoughts on Cunard's future - given its current course of building on its unique heritage, classic/formal cruising, English traditions, on large ships, with the singular QM2 liner as the trump card...

I don't think there's a way for Cunard to grow that into a broad-based line to equal HAL, Princess, Celebrity or even Crystal. Cunard's advantage is tied to its English heritage and old-school experiences. On the previous post, I posited 2 new ships.

One I'd love to see, I'll call the "Cunard Columbia" would be based in NY. She'd be slightly smaller than the QE & QV - sized to fit Hamilton, Bermuda (optimally St Georges too). She'd share the Red Hook dock (can they dock 2 ships simultaneously?) with the QM2. Trips to Canada, Bermuda, occasional Bahamas would be the main itineraries - but would do a NY-based World Cruise Jan-April.

The other might be "Cunard Australia" based in Sydney. Emphasis is on English luxury, but de-emphasis on grill class distinctions. Sized like modern ships (100K+ GRT).

Thus capitalizing on their unique niches close to their strong markets - albeit nibbling around the edges - but when combined with other sister brands, it could be great (Close HAL, schedule partner Princess & CCL)

It's interesting. I've cruised on Cunard for years. Starting with a cruise on the regrettable Cunard Princess and most recently on the QM2 in 2008 and 2009. Within the past 8 months, we cruised on Celebrity (Infinity, 14d S. America) and Princess (Star Princess, 2d repo) - both of these lines we'd enjoyed but not booked in the past dozen or more years. A perusal of my sig will also indicate recent cruises on Crystal and HAL.

I think that Cunard is just about right in its positioning and image. They have the heritage and unique old-school dress code. (perhaps further softening the details in the future [clutch your pearls!] may be needed ahead). However, let's be frank, it's not a growing market. A couple more ships? Perhaps.

Cunard vs Celebrity

Both lines pretty much live on over-representation and puffery.

Celebrity has an undeniably cool product. However, their old slogan "exceeding expectations" would be laughed at these days. (The same economic pressures affect all the lines) Instead, the MDR fare, which used to be truly spectacular, is now well-executed at best. The feints to international or high cuisine are mostly total fails. Not that the food was bad, It was usually very good, It just wasn't what it was said to be.

More problematic was the (lack of) sommelier service. I put the main blame here on Celebrity for not adequately staffing the wine service - especially when most passengers are on their 123-go promo with free wine.

Cunard also is a bit of a puffed pastry. The standard cabins and MDR dining in the Britannia is well-executed. However, it's not really "luxury cruising." (As was the case for most passengers on all of Cunard's finest ships). There's a bit of vegas tinge to all of the extruded faux woodwork that's distressing to me.

In any event, in Cunard vs Celebrity - Different worlds. Yes, some discerning Celebrity cruisers may also appreciate Cunard, but few new cruisers attracted to Celebrity would be likely Cunarders.

Can Cunard get some of Celebrity's cool? Perhaps. In only one area I can think of. Discos are always problematic on Cunard (and most other direct competitors). On the Infinity, there was a very cool DJ couple who had a consistently cool vibe in the atrium. Mostly background. Techno. At happy hour, riffs on Motown and similar... Especially cool to the adjoining martini bar.

Transfer to Cunard? Think of a cool rooftop bar in Europe. On Cunard, use the pool (QM2 deck 12) and adjacent area as cool, airie. Less dancing than a traditional disco (though a small dance floor would be available) Its strength would be expensive cocktails. This area also should be dress-code free.

Cunard vs HAL

Of all the lines out there, the ones that are most similar to me are the corporate cousins HAL and Cunard. Not only are the hulls on the QE & QV similar to many on HAL, both lines share a similar proud heritage and respect for traditions.

As it is, HAL has succeeded in offering a wide variety of itineraries around the world. Considering their similarities, and their corporate connection, it might be useful for them to do a closer partnership. Especially, when you consider that HAL's Mariner's Club has been lagging in comparisons to others recently. It might be mutually beneficial for HAL to rework their club and then provide mutual credits and elite status with Cunard CWC. Both lines have similarly dedicated cruisers - linking the two would be a win-win.

Cunard vs Princess

Our recent return to the Star Princess reaffirmed our thoughts of the line as the "California beige, no-surprises line." Inoffensive to a fault. And continually delivered on promises of consistent quality of its mass market product.

I'm currently leading a Roll Call for a QM2 crossing that has a lot of passengers returning from an earlier eastbound repo crossing on a Princess ship. The differences between the two groups have helped illustrate to me the cultural differences.

Like with HAL, I DO see an opportunity to partner on itineraries to match QM2 crossings with Princess European cruises and repo crossings.

Cunard vs Seabourn, Regent, Oceania, Crystal

Once they sold the Sea Goddesses, it made sense for Cunard to sell at the premium level with HAL and Celebrity, although positioning the product to look like luxury market. When selling luxury, the grill experience is a truly unique product. However, the experience on a large cruise ship is always going to have difficulty competing with true luxury lines on small ships. In short, I don't see a huge increase in that sector for Cunard ships.

Very good comparisons. As to Celebrity(our current choice)a lot depends on what ship you sail. We find the Eclipse,with it's 14 day Caribbean trips to be a pretty good match to Cunard. There was no real "rocking" in rough seas. Try the QE/QV and say that! The dresscode is more formal than the rest of Celebrity(probably due to age of PAX). The Food was very good in 2015. A tad less good in 2015(Change of head chef was noted here)Still the food was much better than on QV(2012). The QV had decent food, but the choices were not as good or had good portion size like on QM2. One thing to note..Cunard is "managed" by Princessline. They're ok, but really don't know what it means to be a "luxury" line. The Grills,which we did twice,was by far an outstanding time by any means. I had some extra $$ at the time & decided to splurge a bit. We'd like to try the "Luminae" experience on Celebrity sometime. It's an obvious attempt to copy the Grills experience.

It's interesting. I've cruised on Cunard for years. Starting with a cruise on the regrettable Cunard Princess and most recently on the QM2 in 2008 and 2009. Within the past 8 months, we cruised on Celebrity (Infinity, 14d S. America) and Princess (Star Princess, 2d repo) - both of these lines we'd enjoyed but not booked in the past dozen or more years. A perusal of my sig will also indicate recent cruises on Crystal and HAL.

I think that Cunard is just about right in its positioning and image. They have the heritage and unique old-school dress code. (perhaps further softening the details in the future [clutch your pearls!] may be needed ahead). However, let's be frank, it's not a growing market. A couple more ships? Perhaps.

Cunard vs Celebrity

Both lines pretty much live on over-representation and puffery.

Celebrity has an undeniably cool product. However, their old slogan "exceeding expectations" would be laughed at these days. (The same economic pressures affect all the lines) Instead, the MDR fare, which used to be truly spectacular, is now well-executed at best. The feints to international or high cuisine are mostly total fails. Not that the food was bad, It was usually very good, It just wasn't what it was said to be.

More problematic was the (lack of) sommelier service. I put the main blame here on Celebrity for not adequately staffing the wine service - especially when most passengers are on their 123-go promo with free wine.

Cunard also is a bit of a puffed pastry. The standard cabins and MDR dining in the Britannia is well-executed. However, it's not really "luxury cruising." (As was the case for most passengers on all of Cunard's finest ships). There's a bit of vegas tinge to all of the extruded faux woodwork that's distressing to me.

In any event, in Cunard vs Celebrity - Different worlds. Yes, some discerning Celebrity cruisers may also appreciate Cunard, but few new cruisers attracted to Celebrity would be likely Cunarders.

Can Cunard get some of Celebrity's cool? Perhaps. In only one area I can think of. Discos are always problematic on Cunard (and most other direct competitors). On the Infinity, there was a very cool DJ couple who had a consistently cool vibe in the atrium. Mostly background. Techno. At happy hour, riffs on Motown and similar... Especially cool to the adjoining martini bar.

Transfer to Cunard? Think of a cool rooftop bar in Europe. On Cunard, use the pool (QM2 deck 12) and adjacent area as cool, airie. Less dancing than a traditional disco (though a small dance floor would be available) Its strength would be expensive cocktails. This area also should be dress-code free.

Cunard vs HAL

Of all the lines out there, the ones that are most similar to me are the corporate cousins HAL and Cunard. Not only are the hulls on the QE & QV similar to many on HAL, both lines share a similar proud heritage and respect for traditions.

As it is, HAL has succeeded in offering a wide variety of itineraries around the world. Considering their similarities, and their corporate connection, it might be useful for them to do a closer partnership. Especially, when you consider that HAL's Mariner's Club has been lagging in comparisons to others recently. It might be mutually beneficial for HAL to rework their club and then provide mutual credits and elite status with Cunard CWC. Both lines have similarly dedicated cruisers - linking the two would be a win-win.

Cunard vs Princess

Our recent return to the Star Princess reaffirmed our thoughts of the line as the "California beige, no-surprises line." Inoffensive to a fault. And continually delivered on promises of consistent quality of its mass market product.

I'm currently leading a Roll Call for a QM2 crossing that has a lot of passengers returning from an earlier eastbound repo crossing on a Princess ship. The differences between the two groups have helped illustrate to me the cultural differences.

Like with HAL, I DO see an opportunity to partner on itineraries to match QM2 crossings with Princess European cruises and repo crossings.

Cunard vs Seabourn, Regent, Oceania, Crystal

Once they sold the Sea Goddesses, it made sense for Cunard to sell at the premium level with HAL and Celebrity, although positioning the product to look like luxury market. When selling luxury, the grill experience is a truly unique product. However, the experience on a large cruise ship is always going to have difficulty competing with true luxury lines on small ships. In short, I don't see a huge increase in that sector for Cunard ships.

Since you haven't been on a Cunard ship since 2009, I wonder what comparisons you will make AFTER your 2016 Cunard crossing. Please, do write another review then. DH and I have sailed regularly on Cunard ships and noted changes, large and small, in the intervening years. In any event, have a wonderful voyage and do post another review. We look forward to reading it.

Jimmybean

Edited by jimmybean

The QV had decent food, but the choices were not as good or had good portion size like on QM2.
One issue with doing ship-by-ship comparisons of food quantity and quality is that the Executive Chef has a food budget per voyage that is determined at least in part by the average fare paid for that voyage. If the itinerary didn't sell well and the line had to reduce fares significantly to sell the voyage the food budget will be trimmed accordingly. I think if you've seen significant variations within two Cunard trips like that it's due to different budgets for the itinerary.

Really???? Week by week food budgets can change? That never occurred to me. BTW I thought the food on the QM2 was just okay in both the dining room and buffet, however dinner in the DR was very good.

An excellent thread, exactly the type Carnival's top brass should be soaking up.

My input would be a warning from history with a slight comparison between Cunard and the happenings at P&O over the last few years.

The direction towards the P&O ships seems to have been one where at each refit pay extra venues, especially restaurants, have flourished. This has apparently been advertised as giving the customer more choice which sounds positive, but I fear has actually been done, alongside the downturn in food and service quality in the main restaurants, in order to encourage passengers to pay extra in these various new venues for decent food and service standards thereby generating more revenue.

I do not think that such an approach would be in line with the historical standards of the Cunard line as advertised, or at least intimated in the advertisement of Cunard by Carnival. If Carnival/Cunard is to advertise the history it really must provide a quality of holiday which feels relative to that history to the passenger, where they fail to do so it stands out a mile. This is the problem at P&O where the actual holiday standard no longer meets the expectation as intimated in the brochure or history of that line.

Cunard may have to charge a little more up front and put that money into the enhancement of the customer experience, keep levels of service and food quality at a good acceptable level meeting the expectation which they raise in their advertising, this service level is surely the backbone of Cunard's history and to steer away from that direction could be the death of the line