Reflection - connecting hump cabins?

From the deck plans, it appears that all veranda hump cabins have connecting doors; true?

and, what is the impact on the cabin? where is the door, does it make things odd in the room in any way? (we're not traveling with anyone, so a connecting door is not a plus for us).

What about noise? isn't noise more likely to travel between rooms "under the door"?

Thanks for any help, advice.

Mary

From the deck plans, it appears that all veranda hump cabins have connecting doors; true?

and, what is the impact on the cabin? where is the door, does it make things odd in the room in any way? (we're not traveling with anyone, so a connecting door is not a plus for us).

What about noise? isn't noise more likely to travel between rooms "under the door"?

Thanks for any help, advice.

Mary

Yes, they are all connecting from Deck 9 thru Deck 6. The connection is inside the cabin, right across from the bathroom door. I would think that they should be well insulated. I haven't read anything about sound/noise from under the door, but I avoid them on the M-Class.

Thanks, that is helpful info!

It would cost us $180 (or $90 each) to upgrade from a regular veranda on Deck 7 to one of the hump cabins with the larger balcony, those angled ones, also on Deck 7.

I'm thinking I'd rather spend the money elsewhere..... but good to know about connecting door placement in case of a price drop. The veranda cabin is very nice to start with :)

Mary

So they're designed differently than all the other S class ships?

I was worried about having a connecting cabin on our upcoming Silhouette TA, til I realized it makes no difference at all.

Yes they are designed differently. While I have not been on reflection I have seen people mention on here since it seems odd that they have gone backwards in design.

Hmmm, curious, isn't it? We had a connecting cabin on Summit once and there definitely was some noise bleedthrough, not terrible but noticeable. It so happened that this was the night of the presidential election in 2008 and I stayed up REALLY late watching the returns--like 3 AM. I had the TV as low as I possibly could so I could hear it, but I still felt horribly guilty that I was keeping our neighbors awake. I put towels along the door, etc but still worrisome.

I'd like to tell you my experience with the same connecting cabin on both the Solstice and Reflection. I had the same cabin on both ships -- 9276, on the hump. We booked this cabin on the Solstice for Christmas, 2011. Great location. External connecting door. We loved it, until... The young man in the cabin next to us decided to have a party the first night beginning about 11:30pm. We waited to complain to Guest Relations but with the loud music and balcony door open, we just could not sleep. After GR asked him to quiet down, the young man came to our cabin and told us that he was 21, he paid a lot for his cruise and he was going to (expletive deleted) party. The next night it was quiet and then around 3:30am on the third night, he had another party. We complained again. Fourth night, after another 4:00am party, we were moved to an aft cabin when an ill passsenger left the ship.

While on Solstice and because we liked the hump cabin so well, we booked a Med. cruise on Reflection for Nov. 2012. So nearly a year later, we're in 9276 on the hump on the Reflection with internal connecting doors. We never heard one sound from next door. In fact, until we saw a Do Not Disturb sign, we thought that possibly the cabin was not occupied. This cruise was right after Hurricane Sandy and we'd heard that some people had to cancel however the cabin was occupied and there was absolutely no issue with the connecting door which is directly across from the bathroom door.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to book a connecting cabin on the Reflection.

I'd like to tell you my experience with the same connecting cabin on both the Solstice and Reflection. I had the same cabin on both ships -- 9276, on the hump. We booked this cabin on the Solstice for Christmas, 2011. Great location. External connecting door. We loved it, until... The young man in the cabin next to us decided to have a party the first night beginning about 11:30pm. We waited to complain to Guest Relations but with the loud music and balcony door open, we just could not sleep. After GR asked him to quiet down, the young man came to our cabin and told us that he was 21, he paid a lot for his cruise and he was going to (expletive deleted) party. The next night it was quiet and then around 3:30am on the third night, he had another party. We complained again. Fourth night, after another 4:00am party, we were moved to an aft cabin when an ill passsenger left the ship.

While on Solstice and because we liked the hump cabin so well, we booked a Med. cruise on Reflection for Nov. 2012. So nearly a year later, we're in 9276 on the hump on the Reflection with internal connecting doors. We never heard one sound from next door. In fact, until we saw a Do Not Disturb sign, we thought that possibly the cabin was not occupied. This cruise was right after Hurricane Sandy and we'd heard that some people had to cancel however the cabin was occupied and there was absolutely no issue with the connecting door which is directly across from the bathroom door.

Thanks for sharing this! It's good to know first hand what people are experiencing. We are booked on Equinox again for next year but seeing everyone's photos of Reflection I can't wait to sail on her.

What is an external connecting door? do you mean on the balcony?

:confused:

Mary

On all the other S-Class ships, the connection for connecting cabins is done out in the passageway, so if you don't want to "connect," you are in a normal cabin. In other words, you have to want to connect to actually connect.

I'd like to tell you my experience with the same connecting cabin on both the Solstice and Reflection. I had the same cabin on both ships -- 9276, on the hump. We booked this cabin on the Solstice for Christmas, 2011. Great location. External connecting door. We loved it, until... The young man in the cabin next to us decided to have a party the first night beginning about 11:30pm. We waited to complain to Guest Relations but with the loud music and balcony door open, we just could not sleep. After GR asked him to quiet down, the young man came to our cabin and told us that he was 21, he paid a lot for his cruise and he was going to (expletive deleted) party. The next night it was quiet and then around 3:30am on the third night, he had another party. We complained again. Fourth night, after another 4:00am party, we were moved to an aft cabin when an ill passsenger left the ship

Wow. My first thought was that I thought someone over 25 had to be on the booking.

Next, what happened to common curtesy? Does he think the rest of the passengers got their cruise for free? Besides, there are areas of the ship that stay active. What amazes me is that security wasn't a little more forceful with him about allowing others to enjoy their vacations.

I will admit, I probably would have turned up the TV and slammed the door a few times when I work up at 6am. I have some neighbors at home, and we like to cut the grass starting about 7am just after one of their late night parties. Chain saws are pretty good for that as well. :D

I'm feeling really dense, but I can't seem to visualize this one.

my only frame of reference is hotel rooms, where the connecting doors are in the wall between the 2 cabins.....

Mary

There's a little alcove outside the two cabin doors. There are wooden doors out in the alcove. To connect, they close those two wooden doors out to be flush with the passageway. Now the cabins are connected. You enter one of the outside wooden doors, walk into the alcove, and you can access either of the 2 staterooms.

If you do a search on connecting cabins on S-Class ships, there are numerous threads on this topic. Reflection is the only S-Class ship that has the connection actually inside the cabin.

I'm feeling really dense, but I can't seem to visualize this one.

my only frame of reference is hotel rooms, where the connecting doors are in the wall between the 2 cabins.....

Mary

Good, then you now know how Reflection connects -- same as hotel rooms. :)

I don't understand and am now worried. We have just booked the reflections and have one cabin on the hump and a second, one cabin down, number 240 and 244. 242 was already booked. Are you saying our first cabin 240 will be linked internally with 242. We have been on the Eclipse and the Solstice where it doesn't really matter which are connecting cabins and which aren't. Now I am not sure we have selected the right cabins.

CrusinNole,

Please could you explain where the internal door is? How is it kept closed/locked and can you see light through it. By this I mean if we retire early will we see the other cabins lights or disturb them if we are late ourselves.

If there is any doubts I would give up the extra space on the balcony and move to a different cabin as I do not want to be disturbed or to disturb others.

I don't understand and am now worried. We have just booked the reflections and have one cabin on the hump and a second, one cabin down, number 240 and 244. 242 was already booked. Are you saying our first cabin 240 will be linked internally with 242. We have been on the Eclipse and the Solstice where it doesn't really matter which are connecting cabins and which aren't. Now I am not sure we have selected the right cabins.

Now I'm worried because your cabin numbers are missing a digit. :eek:

I just looked at the deck plans. Are you meaning 6240, 6242, and 6244?

All those are not connecting cabins, so there will not be any door inside the cabin connecting them. Nothing to worry about -- no linking interenally for you. :rolleyes:

If you look at the deck plans, to determine if cabins are "connecting," there is a line in between the two cabins that shows they are connecting.

[quote name=welshfamily;37407147

CrusinNole' date='

Please could you explain where the internal door is? How is it kept closed/locked and can you see light through it. By this I mean if we retire early will we see the other cabins lights or disturb them if we are late ourselves. [/quote]

I didn't even look at the locking mechanism but I'm assuming it is just like a connecting room in a hotel. There's a lock on each door. If you want to connect to the room next to you, both doors would have to be unlocked. I never noticed any light underneath the door.

It's difficult to explain where the connecting doors are but the best way I can describe it is to say that when you open your cabin door, if you look immediately to your right (in the case of the cabin we were in) as you enter, you would see the connecting door. If you look immediately to your left you would see the bathroom door. If you walk further into the cabin, you pass the closet, then bed or sofa depending on the room set up. Both the connecting and bathroom doors are very close to the main door to the cabin and directly across from each other. The wall that the connecting door is on is just a blank wall and opposite the wall where the bed is. The connecting door is not right next to the desk or right across from the bed. It's very close to the main door entering into the cabin. And as far as noise or light is concerned, you have to remember that there are two doors separating the cabins, not one which could cause a problem.

I don't want to sound like I'm disregarding your concerns but I have not yet read a post from someone who had a problem with noise due to the connecting doors on Reflection. I'm not saying that it's not possible but I would personally not worry about it. I only posted my experience on the Solstice and Reflection to point out that you can have a problem with noise whether the cabin is connecting or not.

Thanks for sharing this! It's good to know first hand what people are experiencing. We are booked on Equinox again for next year but seeing everyone's photos of Reflection I can't wait to sail on her.
We love Equinox but thought that Reflection was beautiful and can't wait to sail her again -- in cabin 9276!

Wow. My first thought was that I thought someone over 25 had to be on the booking.

Next, what happened to common curtesy? Does he think the rest of the passengers got their cruise for free? Besides, there are areas of the ship that stay active. What amazes me is that security wasn't a little more forceful with him about allowing others to enjoy their vacations.

I will admit, I probably would have turned up the TV and slammed the door a few times when I work up at 6am. I have some neighbors at home, and we like to cut the grass starting about 7am just after one of their late night parties. Chain saws are pretty good for that as well. :D

I believe that they have to be 21.

Security made more than one trip up and the Guest Relations Manager was very responsive. I guess there's just so much that can be done with rude passengers.

I felt very sorry for the cabin attendants who weren't able to get into the cabin until 2 or 3 in afternoon to clean up the cabin. We didn't do any door slamming or turning up the TV but it sure was tempting.

Thank you all.

Yes sorry, I did mean 6240 and 6244 and it is lovely that they are not connecting as I have just been on to the Celebrity website and the cruise is no longer for sale.

Does this mean it is sold out? We don't sail for another 21 weeks but there was very little choice left on Sunday when we booked. We got an excellent price especially compared to our last two cruises in Aquaclass and will spend the money saved on a drinks package. Although the cabins are 2c they are in an excellent position by the elevators and hopefully Cafe Bacio if it is in the same place on the Reflections as the other S class ships we have been on.

Take a look at this YouTube video to see what the arrangement is:

The doors you see folded into the sides of the alcove would be positioned forward towards the hallway to become the cabin's entrance doors, creating a private alcove behind them. The pair of doors you see in front of the camera that are closed would then become the connecting doors, and opening them into the stateroom would provide access to the private alcove created when the other doors are closed. On reflection there aren't those extra doors you see in the video.

• 1 month later...

I know this post has been inactive for a while, just saw it while searching for cabin 9274.

CruisinNole,

I'll be in cabin 9274 for the June 7th sailing. From your review sounds like a great location. There will be three of us, (myself, spouse and 20 yr old) how is the space and is this right on hump?

I know this post has been inactive for a while, just saw it while searching for cabin 9274.

CruisinNole,

I'll be in cabin 9274 for the June 7th sailing. From your review sounds like a great location. There will be three of us, (myself, spouse and 20 yr old) how is the space and is this right on hump?

This stateroom is on the hump, but not on the angle, so it will have a normal balcony. As far as space, you will basically have 3 adults sharing one room. Could be a little tight on any ship.

Archived