Cruise Newbies - QM2 - Transatlantic to NY

Welsh Advocate

Hi All, my Partner & I along with his very sprightly 83 year old Mum are taking our first every cruise on 20th September 2015. As expected we are very excited and have waited a long time since the trip was booked at the beginning of the year.

We have the lovely voyage from Southampton on 20th September to NY, having a few days there (I've been before by plane) and then flying home to the UK. We are allocated 2 x 20kgs pp, I'm assuming this is the same got our return flight at no extra charge?

How will the weather be on the crossing? I'm think regarding clothing!

How will the weather be in NY when we arrive? We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt

With all this in mind can you give your best tips, advice and recommendations for our trip?

My Partner's Mum loves music and dancing, my Partner loves walking and keeping busy whilst I like to see a holiday as where I can also relax and have a good read.

I'm due to become a grandmother for the first time mid October so hoping my daughter in law doesn't go into labour during my trip so advice regarding phone usage and Internet via iPad and iPhone 6 would be most helpful

Regarding dining I believe we are allocated the Britannia restaurant which means nothing to me!

We are in room 4011 if that helps with any suggestions

Thank you all

Hi All, my Partner & I along with his very sprightly 83 year old Mum are taking our first every cruise on 20th September 2015. As expected we are very excited and have waited a long time since the trip was booked at the beginning of the year.

We have the lovely voyage from Southampton on 20th September to NY, having a few days there (I've been before by plane) and then flying home to the UK. We are allocated 2 x 20kgs pp, I'm assuming this is the same got our return flight at no extra charge?

How will the weather be on the crossing? I'm think regarding clothing!

How will the weather be in NY when we arrive? We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt

With all this in mind can you give your best tips, advice and recommendations for our trip?

My Partner's Mum loves music and dancing, my Partner loves walking and keeping busy whilst I like to see a holiday as where I can also relax and have a good read.

I'm due to become a grandmother for the first time mid October so hoping my daughter in law doesn't go into labour during my trip so advice regarding phone usage and Internet via iPad and iPhone 6 would be most helpful

Regarding dining I believe we are allocated the Britannia restaurant which means nothing to me!

We are in room 4011 if that helps with any suggestions

Thank you all

First of all I am sure you will enjoy the voyage, your partner will be able to walk round the ship,. many people do for a little exercise, the library you can not go wrong, you will love it, and your partners mum will be able to dance every night with the male hosts on duty. The Britannia restaurant is a fine place to dine, the staff are brill, food, no problem and a fair choice. Weather never can tell when crossing the Atlantic, If rough you are on the best ship afloat to deal with the seas. As for America can not say it is years since we stayed in New York, Your Cabin should be OK I usually go in a Mid Ship cabin. Hope you all have a great time. You can always report how everything went.:D

Hi

You will need to check with the airline regarding luggage as they each have their different rules. Not sure where the 2 X 20kg each comes from? Cunard do have a notional 20kg weight limit on individual cases, but haven't seen that enforced. Obviously if a case is massively overweight they might refuse to handle it. There is no limit on the number of cases though.

Most airlines in economy have a one case allowance varying from around 20-30kg. Rules are different for business and first class, but your own allowance will be easy enough to find.

We were right next to 4011 on a recent crossing. No problems at all with ship movement or noise. Cabin steward not the most visible, but did leave very large quantities of pillow chocolates for some reason :)

We crossed in late July and again in early August. Weather was pretty warm for 2 days both ways, but quite chilly on the other days. Wind always quite brisk. I'd definitely take a light jacket for deck walks. It's very sheltered at the back, but that's a smoking area which rather ruled it out for us.

luckymal has mentioned the dancing. I'd also recommend the dance lessons held at 12.15 each day. Great fun and well taught even if your partner's mum can already dance. Might even pick up a dance partner.......

Brittania restaurant was absolutely fine. Portions on the small side which suited us.

If you like to relax I'd definitely recommend a spa pass for the trip. Fab value at around £80 and gives you access to a lovely spa area with pool, sauna, steam room etc plus another quiet relaxation room with comfortable loungers, sea view and drinks. Great place to read and watch the world go by and never crowded. They are limited so if you want one pop up to the spa on deck 7 as soon as you can. If you turn right out of your cabin and head up the stairs to deck 7, turn right and the spa is just there. The library is also above your cabin up those stairs on deck 9. It's well stocked, but doesn't have many chairs for sitting and reading.

Can't help with the internet other than it's expensive and slow as per most ships. iPads and phones can have a problem connecting. You might be better off with text messages which run to around 50p each depending on provider. Cheapest internet package is around $50 and much of the time you get will be used up waiting for pages to load. If you do want to use it, compose emails etc off line and paste once connected.

Hi

We recently experienced our first TA on the QM2 - and like you we didn't know what to expect.

The 8 day crossing on the way to NY felt a little too long, but there is plenty to do on the ship and we were never bored. If the weather is good, it's lovely to walk around outside or just sit and enjoy the sunshine. The back of the ship is sheltered, as was mentioned before, but the smokers didn't worry us as there weren't many.

There is dancing in the ballroom in the evening and there is usually a film on in Illuminations. We saw a few of these, some good, some not so good ;)

NY was very hot indeed and also really humid. By early afternoon, it was necessary to retreat into the shops, cafes etc - a terrible burden as you can imagine :) We visited the Empire State Building first thing in the morning and it was relatively quiet - queue said about 30 mins I think. I would recommend the VIP passes - they cost a bit more, but you are sent to the front of every single queue on the way up and we were at the top in no time.

Britannia Restaurant is the main restaurant and it is large and busy. The quality of the food is good.

The internet is slow at times - very slow at others. We used iPhones though and didn't experience the problems that others on here report.

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. Wish I was back there now :D

Have a brilliant holiday. We came back from New York in July in the same room 4011 and loved it. The water wasn't brilliant so the extra space in the room was good. The weather on the crossing is hard to predict we had a mix some warm and sunny others chilly and a bit foggy. spa is well worth the money and the library and talks were great. I thought the entertainment on the whole was poor, though the classical musicians were good as were the RADA productions. We loved the food, afternoon tea and lunch in the pub or Sir Samuel's was a regular treat and the drinks in and the view from the Commodore superb.

the weather in New York should be fine as all being well the heat and humidity should be less than in July. Really depends what you want to do, we loved the Frick Museum, the Tenement Museum and shopping! The Met and the Cloisters are other 'must sees'. If you haven't done the 9/11 memorial would also suggest that.

Have a wonderful time, we hope to cross again next year.

Lots of good advice above - I'd just add notes on weather: late September is probably the warmest time for crossing the North Atlantic - safe to figure on 70(F)+ on the crossing. And, it is likely to be the finest weather in New York - probably clear and sunny 70's to around 80 days and cooler in the evenings.

Metropolitan Museum, Frick Collection, Morgan Library all near you, the Cloisters in northern Manhattan would take better part of a day, but keep in mind.

An afternoon around 50th Street and Fifth Avenue would give you a great blend: Rockefeller Center, Saks Fifth Avenue and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Enjoy.

We'll be in NY next week, just ahead of you for one of our "seven shows in five days" visits, so I may have more to contribute just about the time you're aboard.

Some NY advice for now...

WEATHER

Weather should be wonderful, but Summer might make a last gasp during your visit with hot and humid weather, or you might get a cold snap - but most likely, warmish days and brisk evenings. As aboard, layering will be your friend.

MUSEUMS

Within the suggestions about museums, let me put a word in for the Museum of Modern Art. A spectacular collection, starting with the Impressionists. It's very convenient to midtown and is a great "3 hour museum" (Of course you could spend days)

MoMA tips - check out their $70 "Global" membership for out of towners. If there are 3-4 in your group, it can be cheaper than individual entrance fees and most importantly, you get to skip the looong lines for entrance and coat check, also discounts in the store and cafe. ...you can join online before your visit. (and if you do - be sure to enter from the "back doors" of the lobby on 55th which stretches from 54th to 55th - there are usually massive lines at the main 54th St. entrance.) There's a member's desk on the wall, next to the coat check, for guest tickets and any questions you may have.

The new Whitney Museum just opened near the Chelsea Market and High Line park. I'm looking forward to seeing this on our visit. In past visits, at their old location, unless there was a specific temporary exhibition, I found MoMA more rewarding.

Personally, I find the Met amazing, but can be intimidating, the Guggenheim is more successful as a cool looking building than as an art museum, and the Cloisters is an surprising escape from NY into a medieval world, but is most interesting to those most interested in that era and it can take a while to get there. (All my personal opinions - especially when it comes to art, your experience may vary!)

BROADWAY

Being a Broadway fan, of course I'll recommend seeing a show. If you want to check out discounts (often equivalent to what you'd get at TKTS, check Playbill Club http://www.playbill.com/club/offers - free registration required)

There's a lot of variety within the three-dozen or so Broadway and numerous off-Broadway shows, so I'm hesitant to make a one-size-fits-all recommendation.

If you want Broadway experience I'd also recommend stopping by the upstairs bar at Sardi's 30-45 minutes before your show (44th st) No wait involved, simply bypass the restaurant maitre d' and go up the stairs to the right just inside the door. Great crowd always willing to discuss what they've seen, are seeing that night.... Skilled bartenders (including Joe, who's worked there over 50 years) and caricatures of Broadway folks covering the walls. ...No comment on their current caricaturist.

Afterwards (or any time) Joe Allen is a hangout with the notorious "flop wall" of posters of flops through history. Recommend burgers and lobster rolls, but have enjoyed everything I've eaten. Call for reservations 1 week in advance. If you're eating pre or post-show, they have all the curtain and running times.

THE FOUR SEASONS

Not sure which of the two Grand Hyatts you're at, but especially if you're at the one near Bloomingdales, you're near the Four Seasons Restaurant in the Seagram Building. The famous restaurant there, in the famous space designed by the giants of modern architecture and design, will be closing and relocating soon. If you've wanted have the classic experience of dining in the Pool Room or the Boardroom, do it on this visit.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thank you, I am loving all the advice and tips you are giving!!

Also thank you for the suggestions for what is availablein NY however I have been previously (5 years ago) and visited quite a lot of places, many that have been mentioned and found them all very interesting.

In particular (as opposed to NY) I am looking for tips for the cruise so please keep them coming.

With regards to the formal evenings, would a long (satin, strapless) ball gown be out of place or too "dressy" do you think.

What are/were your favourite parts of the voyage?

Thank you, I am loving all the advice and tips you are giving!! In particular ... I am looking for tips for the cruise so please keep them coming. With regards to the formal evenings, would a long (satin, strapless) ball gown be out of place or too "dressy" do you think?
Hi Welsh Advocate,

You can not be to "dressy"/overdressed on a Cunard QM2 transatlantic crossing! :)

If you click on the link below you'll find a "tour" of QM2, photos of "your" cabin, and many photos taken onboard QM2 during several transatlantic crossings to New York (from my first in September 2006 to my latest in May 2014). There are also many pictures of the Britannia Restaurant, so you'll see where you'll be dining!

I hope the photos help to increase your anticipation; QM2 is an amazing ship, and a TA crossing is a wonderful experience, have a fantastic time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Looking into a cruise and saw your post. My husbands from NY and we visit the city on occasion. One thing we enjoyed was walking across the Brooklyn bridge, great way to get a view of the city, see locals and tourist hanging out, get some exercise and visit a cool part of the city, Brooklyn. It has a wide, very safe walkway away from traffic.

Thanks pepperrn for that. As you have travelled around the time of year we are travelling, could you give first hand experience of what the weather was like crossing to NY and how did you find there weather there when you arrived please?
Hi again Welsh Advocate,

The weather on the North Atlantic can be so changeable at any time of the year that previous experience will often give no indication of future conditions.

In September '06 (QM2 WB crossing) I experienced a couple of periods of fog (often dense).

Some warm sunny times (but not hot enough to sunbathe, people were laid out on loungers around the pools, clothed. Some people swam, but wrapped up quickly as soon as they left the water).

Lovely times spent sat in the sunshine on the port side promenade, those steamer chairs are soooo comfortable!

Several cloudy/overcast days.

It can be very windy on deck unless you're in a sheltered spot.

No rain, as far as I can recall. But I might have been fortunate that time.

I needed a light coat on deck on many occasions.

This set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/albums/72157623936817859/page1

Will give you some idea of the weather on that crossing.

On other crossings at other times of the year...

I've had it warm enough on a couple of days to sunbathe properly, soaking up the rays around the Deck 8 pool.

I've experienced day after day of rain lashing the decks.

Fog so thick that, stood right below the funnel, I couldn't see more than half way up at best, and not see it all on occasions.

High winds whipping along the promenade.

Bitter, bitter cold entering New York Harbour one time (real brass monkey weather).

Another New York arrival (in May) was rain, rain, rain!

Mostly just grey... grey sea, grey clouds (difficult to see where one finished and the other began on the horizon sometimes).

In fact the only thing I've yet to see is snow!

As for New York weather in September... not cold. But some days clear and sunny, other days continuous rain.

Hope this helps ;) :)

Edited by pepperrn

I was on the QM2 two years ago at about the same time as you are scheduled.

Weather on board was perfect for 23 days. Across the Atlantic… up the Chanel to the North Sea… up to Oslo… back to Hamburg.. down the Chanel… across the Atlantic… smooth as glass the whole time. On the other hand, we were on the QE2 in the late 80's in Sept. and couldn't go out on deck after NYC. Rotten weather. You just can't predict.

Also, I've lived in NYC for 50 years… and it's the same thing. Sept can be beautiful or hot as hades. Hope you get the beautiful!

Does/did anyone have a favourite itnerary they followed or plan to follow on their trip?

There is so much to see in NY, and so many ways to see it, that by necessity, the best itinerary or approach is highly personal and will only scratch the surface.

Unfortunately, the pier location and Cunard do not really make all of this immediately convenient.

- The ship docks in Red Hook, Brooklyn. You may have heard that Brooklyn is the hippest, most happening of the New York boroughs. Well, not near the port. Perhaps in 5-10 years. One of your biggest obstacles is the stretch from the bridge (whichever one) and the pier. Another thread "Red Hook to Ellis Island" has lots more details around this. Your options on getting from the pier to Manhattan (and the reverse)

* Cunard Excursion - Most expensive, least flexible. Least risk and lowest reward. Riding the bus.

* Cunard shuttles - May or may not be offered. Still expensive and not very flexible.

* Taxi - There can be long lines for taxis. A few years ago (2008-9) on our two arrivals, there were seemingly endless lines for occasional cabs. It appears that this is much better.

* Hired Car - We use a service called "Dial 7" (google it) It's the best known of many, competitive towncar/limo services. Very reasonable and reliable. Book in advance. (can be done via web - also discount codes exist). By pre-booking the ride, you can maximize the connection for a very fair price. By googling "NY limo service" or similar, you should also be able to check out their many competitors.

* Uber (and Lyft et al) - I have no experience, but have heard that security has been stopping cars and demanding to see specific names of people that were to be met - mostly to keep gypsy cabs out, but also I suspect, to make life difficult for Uber drivers.

* Subway & Bus - the Carroll St. subway station about a 15 minute walk from the ship. Not a great walk, and the station is quite distant from the stops you'll want to travel to, but still a viable option. (I recommend you check out the NY MTA pages and maps to get a bit of familiarity with the payment system and subway lines). Within Manhattan, subways are a great way to quickly get around the city, even if you don't take the subway from the pier.

Personally, I'd recommend arranging a car to take you from the pier to an attraction in Manhattan and another for the return. Once in Manhattan, then there are lots of itineraries and things to see. (Traditional sights: Empire State Building, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Grand Central Terminal. History: Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, Tenement Museum, Stonewall, Wall St, NY Public Library, 911 museum/memorial, also Shopping, Broadway or Foodie tours)

Another possibility once in Manhattan is the Hop On Hop Off bus tours.

Once you get away from the pier to Manhattan, New York is your oyster.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Does/did anyone have a favourite itnerary they followed or plan to follow on their trip?
Many new passengers spend their week on board just exploring the ship (and still missing many parts of it!).

Try not to miss enjoying...

The pair of outside scenic lifts Decks 7-11, the Bridge Viewing Gallery Deck 12, Commodore Club Deck 9, Observation Area Deck 11, Pavilion Pool and Bar Deck 12, Kennels Deck 12, Planetarium Deck 3, G32 Nightclub, lunch in the Golden Lion Deck 2 (on that note, try to take breakfast and lunch in the Britannia Restaurant and avoid the Kings Court!).

A couple of tips... unless you're self-disembarking in New York, have breakfast the last morning in the Britannia, far more civilised than the zoo that Kings Court can become on the last day!

And more importantly, let the Daily Programme become your best friend and guide to each day's activities (it is delivered daily to your cabin). There is so much to do every day I take a "highlighter pen" with me to mark out what I mustn't miss.

Have a great time :)

Edited by pepperrn

Dear Welsh Advocate,

Everyone has given you great information.

I want to add "welcome to cruise critic." I have learned many things on this board. Great place to ask all sorts of questions.

In terms of practical matters: Laundry is free (including soap) on QM2, but competitive. Be prompt in moving your clothes from washer to dryer, etc, because there will be others waiting to use the equipment. The last day before disembarkation could be the busiest, so we typically try to use the laundry the second to last day (if this is necessary). There is an iron in the laundry room which I notice UK passengers seem keen to use. We pack with lots of tissue paper to avoid ironing, but if you must iron, maybe early after boarding you will find the iron available--later, before dinner, there often seems a queue…

One word of caution: the floor in the hall of King Court (the food buffet on deck 7) can be VERY slippery after being mopped. I have seen two elderly passengers with arms in slings, having fallen and broken an arm in Kings Court (not in a single voyage--over 7 voyages on the QM2--but still enough to get my attention). Since you will travel with an 80+ year-old, just take good care. They mop during off-hours and post signs, but it can be difficult to avoid the main hallway going in, even when the floor is wet. My tactic has been to try to sidestep onto a carpeted area, where the tables are and stay off the uncarpeted wet flooring…

There is both live entertainment and films you can see. The films are recent releases and can be quite good. Read the Daily Program (left in your cabin each day) to see all the day and evening possibilities, before making choices.

We also use the library (deck 8 forward), typically finishing a book or two during a crossing. They have great selections. You check out books with your cruisecard.

You all will have a wonderful time. So much to do! So easy to just relax!

Have a fabulous first crossing! It is easy to have such a great time that you and your companions will become repeat Cunarders. I do hope you enjoy yourselves that much!

Jimmybean

Thank you all for your pearls of wisdom thus far, please keep them coming!

I wonder, as the key cards are so precious how you've kept them about your person? Do you wear lanyards?? How about when using the spa?

As there are 3 of us travelling is it possible for us to have each of our credit cards registered for purchases or is it solely for the lead passenger's credit card? I'd quite like to be responsible for my own spending ( without feeling guilty for my spending!)

I wonder, as the key cards are so precious how you've kept them about your person?
In a pocket.
Do you wear lanyards??
I've never worn a lanyard as a passenger on a ship.
How about when using the spa?
Leave it in the locker in the changing area.
As there are 3 of us travelling is it possible for us to have each of our credit cards registered for purchases or is it solely for the lead passenger's credit card?
Register a separate card per person when "checking in" in the terminal when about to board, and each of you will have a separate account :) . Edited by pepperrn

I hate to disagree with Pepper (whom I believe is typically correct about "everything Cunard") but I love my lanyard.

Often I don't have pockets (being of the female persuasion), so I do use a lanyard, but it is thin and hidden inside my shirt/top. The ones sold on shipboard are typically thick and more difficult to hide. If you want to use one, I suggest finding something "hide-able" before leaving home.

I find the "employee identification lanyard" look unattractive (floating outside someone's clothing), but I swear the apparatus can be hidden and, if so, is an effective problem-solver. Also, if one wears a form-fitting top, I don't believe that look works very well, either.

On formal nights, DH carries my cruisecard in his jacket pocket or I put it in a small beaded handbag (which sometimes I pack and sometimes I don't--depending on our travel plans).

I never carry a purse about the ship---we immediately put wallets etc into the room safe.

I find my lanyarded-card very convenient, both for entering the cabin if DH (dear husband) is elsewhere or if I need to make a purchase.

First thing, once onboard the ship, I stop at the purser's desk, where they have a hole-punch to put a hole in the card. If you wait too long after boarding, there might be a queue at the purser's desk as people sort through any difficulties, so do this early or wait until the queue has shortened (which it will).

My husband won't use a lanyard. He, like Pepper, is happy with just the cruise card in pocket and even happier to have a rest from his wallet.

I hate to disagree with Pepper (whom I believe is typically correct about "everything Cunard") ...
:o Thank you, not true sadly :o
... but I love my lanyard. Often I don't have pockets (being of the female persuasion), so I do use a lanyard, but it is thin and hidden inside my shirt/top. The ones sold on shipboard are typically thick and more difficult to hide. If you want to use one, I suggest finding something "hide-able" before leaving home.
Great suggestion.
I find the "employee identification lanyard" look unattractive (floating outside someone's clothing), but I swear the apparatus can be hidden and, if so, is an effective problem-solver ...
I couldn't agree more. And you've identified my only concern with lanyards. Even in daytime, people have obviously taken care to look smart/elegant/well dressed/coordinated... but too often spoil the "look" with the "security tag"/"employee identification lanyard" plastic wallet hanging round their neck, completely ruining their efforts. I've even seen them worn at table at formal dinners! Using one but hiding it as you do is the sensible & obvious answer :)
... we immediately put wallets etc into the room safe.
As do I. Not seen again till disembarkation (on a crossing. Cruises are a different matter of course).
First thing, once onboard the ship, I stop at the purser's desk, where they have a hole-punch to put a hole in the card.
Another great idea, that does away with the clumsy plastic wallet/holder thingy.
My husband won't use a lanyard. He, like Pepper, is happy with just the cruise card in pocket and even happier to have a rest from his wallet.
The cards in my wallet are happy to have a holiday from me using them! So handy having to carry only one bit of "plastic" about with me.

Thank you jimmybean :)

Edited by pepperrn