Jeans on Celebrity.

Coughy

As a first time cruiser to Celebrity, I was wondering what the ACTUAL policy was for jeans in the evening? I have obviously read the website...

"Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves"

But I'm sure I have also read somewhere else (possibly within the cc website) that SMART jeans with a shirt, jacket and shoes are acceptable in the MDR.

Please can anyone let me know if this is true?

Regardless of policy I wouldn't wear Jeans in the dining room in the evenings. I would feel uncomfortable. I think they are fine for breakfast and lunch in the dining room. I'm one of the most casual cruisers, skip formal night and wear shorts for example.

As a first time cruiser to Celebrity, I was wondering what the ACTUAL policy was for jeans in the evening? I have obviously read the website...

"Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves"

But I'm sure I have also read somewhere else (possibly within the cc website) that SMART jeans with a shirt, jacket and shoes are acceptable in the MDR.

The official policy changed about two months ago and Jeans are now permitted in the MDR. The excerpt you quoted used to have the word jeans in the parenthesis but it was changed.

I am not expressing an opinion, only providing an answer to the question...

I believe the policy is that smart, dressy jeans are now allowed on casual nights. However, you may well not see too many. Celebrity cruisers overall tend to be a little older and a little more formal than those you will see on, say, Royal Caribbean. This may well vary from cruise to cruise, and according to itinerary, but generally I think that someone wearing jeans will be in the minority. Only you know if that would bother you.

Not to muddy the waters but we were just on the Century (canceled). I can't remember if I saw in the daily newsletter or on the sign with the menu at the dining room but it said specifically "no jeans". I remarked to my husband that I wanted to remember to post this when I returned home. That certainly didn't stop people from wearing jeans and they weren't anything close to looking like designer jeans.

Jeans are allowed in the MDR and I'm sure as the word spreads, you will not be in the minority for long.

Precisely. The policy changed recently therefore more people will take advantage of the opportunity to dress as they please (within the guidelines).

So if you like to wear jeans, and you wear dressier jeans and dress according to the dress code.... go for it. It's your vacation and you aren't breaking any 'rules' regardless of whether other people wish you wouldn't wear jeans or not :) I've always followed the dress codes and dress as dressy or casual as I feel (within the guidelines because I do respect the rules - or I'd book a different cruiseline). But come my next cruise, I may just wear a pretty pair of heels with jeans and a dressy jacket/top. (unless it's too hot)

We have just returned from Constellation and whilst I did see a couple of people in jeans in the MDR, the vast majority were in pants and open neck shirts (some with jackets and others not) and ladies in pants/dresses.

The impression I get from Celebrity is that they will now tolerate jeans on smart casual nights (they wont throw you out of the MDR) but they discourage guests from wearing them-they have removed the clause that stipulates NO JEANS but they still suggest "pants" and to me "Jeans" are not "Pants".

I agree with the previous poster who says that the typical Celebrity guest is probably a little more formal and older that some of the other cruise lines.

FWIW I personally would never wear jeans in the MDR or the speciality restaurants-one of the reasons we take cruises and moved from RCCL to X is because we enjoy the more upscale environment/atmosphere and enjoy dressing a little better that we usually do back home.

And we don't consider ourselves old-I'm 42 and my partner is 32.

Interesting point Simon about the specialty restaurants....

While I haven't been on an S Class ship (So I can't say about Murano, Silk Harvest or Tuscon Grill) I certainly couldn't imagine wearing jeans to the Olympic or Normandie, etc.

Coughy:

Policy, is in my opinion, a rule that is enforced. Therefore there is no policy on Celebrity regarding jeans. I have seen jeans in the MDR, that I would not wear to change the oil in my car.

You put SMART in capitals, and I think you can wear anything you want that is SMART. Shorts or swimwear would be the exception.

I have worn dress jeans in the MDR and I even forgot one night and wore my crocs, but at all times I was smartly dressed because that is what I enjoy when I am cruising.

Coughy:

Policy, is in my opinion, a rule that is enforced. Therefore there is no policy on Celebrity regarding jeans. I have seen jeans in the MDR, that I would not wear to change the oil in my car.

You put SMART in capitals, and I think you can wear anything you want that is SMART. Shorts or swimwear would be the exception.

I have worn dress jeans in the MDR and I even forgot one night and wore my crocs, but at all times I was smartly dressed because that is what I enjoy when I am cruising.

It is not an issue anymore, Jeans are permitted, the policy was changed about two months ago. I realize many are opposed to this but that is the way it is now, the OPs question has been answered.

Well we leave tomorrow and I will be wearing nice jeans in the MDR on casual nights. Its my cruise and I feel comfortable in them and will wear them. I do not care if I am in the minority. And if they don't get my luggage to me by the time dinner gets here I will probably have to wear shorts to the MDR the first night.....:eek::eek:

We have just got off Constellation - today - and jeans were worn in the MDR every night. There were even people wearing them in there on formal night and were never asked to leave. Most people that we spoke to are not happy with the new dress code but we were told that it is there to stay!!!

We have just got off Constellation - today - and jeans were worn in the MDR every night. There were even people wearing them in there on formal night and were never asked to leave. Most people that we spoke to are not happy with the new dress code but we were told that it is there to stay!!!

No one should be surprised by this change. Every cruise line (including Regent) is relaxing the dress code. Celebrity changed this policy ages ago by not enforcing the "official" dress code. Although I do not plan to wear jeans on formal nights, I am delighted that it is an option now. I am trying to pack light for the first time ever (LOL). This change in policy will help. I suspect that eventually formal nights will disappear too as Celebrity fails to enforce that policy as well.

This is good to know. We are leaving on the Summit on Dec 4 and this will make packing a little easier. :)

Jeans are allowed, and on our last cruise there were plenty of people wearing them, so no problem!!

just off Summit today, yes people wore jeans, yes I wore jeans, no nobody said anything about it, I even wore jeans to Normandy on smart casual night. Everyone looked FAB and nobody looked out of place, everyone also looked great on formal night, I was really impressed by the level of class and nice threads people were wearing, it was a pleasure. Don't get your nickers all tied up in knots and just go and enjoy your vacation. Stop with the dress code rant already, asst MTD said that as long as people look presentable, its not worth the fight or emberassment, he says 'just let it be, unless they come in underware'

I'm not sure you can say it hasn't affected anyone's enjoyment in the main dining rooms, you can only speak for yourself. I repeat, nice jeans with nice accessories are fine and fit in very well. Sloppy jeans don't, at least for me. We'll see how far Celebrity lets its cruisers push the envelope.

I'd venture to say that there were many evenings where people had jeans on & you didn't even know it so if it's anything like Princess it'll probably make no difference what-so -ever.

Archived