Royal Caribbean Visa Credit Card - Cashing in Reward Points

Has anyone ever cashed in the Royal Caribbean Reward points? I have over $30,000 points and want to cash them all in on the $50 credit toward on board purchase. That would give me $300 on board credit. I just read that only one reward per point level can be used and it makes me think I can't cash in all of my point on the same level. Am I reading into that wrong? Has anyone ever done this?

Below is the site to the rewards page.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do;jsessionid=0000y0t_guKNoVWSQ03DZNFVqmG:v2mocb1m?cS=NAVBAR

Thank you

Jamie

I've redeemed multiple 5,000 point coupons for multiple $50 rewards for 3 different cruises. Call MBNA and tell them you want to order your 6 5,000 point coupons. Be specific! Last time I called (last week) I said I wanted to redeem my RCCL Rewards. The agent automatically transfered me to RCCL assuming I wanted to use the free cruise option. The RCCL agent apologized, but said MBNA needs to handle the redemption of onboard credit. She tried to transfer me back, but couldn't so I had to call back. I've found that when I call in the late morning, the MBNA agents know exactly what to do, but if I call after 5:00 I have more difficulties. MBNA will mail you 6 5,000 point coupons. On the back of each coupon, you choose the reward you want. In your case, check the $50 onboard credit box. You will need to fill in your cruise reservation #. Then you mail them to RCCL at the address on the coupon. I always make a copy of the coupon before I send it in, but haven't ever had a problem. I also call RCCL about 2 weeks after I mail them in to make sure the credit has been applied to my reservation. Once you board the ship, wait until about the 3rd day of your cruise and the credit will appear on your onboard credit statement. Don't panic if it is not showing a credit as soon as you board. They seem to download this information somewhere about day 3.

Enjoy your "free" credit!

I used 15000 points for 3 $50 onboard credit coupons on our last cruise. No problem whatsoever. Just make it clear to the person that you are talking to that that's what you want. They are not that familiar with the program. Before you hang up the phone, reiterate that you are using 30000 points and that you are going to receive 6 5000 point coupons.

Right now I'm waiting for 2 5000 point coupons for our upcoming cruise.

One other thing - if you are cutting it close, time-wise, you can call Royal Caribbean and fax in your coupons, then follow up by mailing them in.

We have used our icruise card in the past but with the changes, will not be using that anylonger. Considering the RCCL card. Question, what do you do with the coupons when you get them? Do you bring them on ship and give them to the service desk?:confused:

Question, what do you do with the coupons when you get them? Do you bring them on ship and give them to the service desk?:confused:
Murphy's post (second in this thread) gives a very good explanation of the process of redeeming the coupons.

Aprille, Thank you! That was going to be my next question. I will wait until at least 6 months pior to the cruise. I will have the cruise paid off by then and will have more points to cash in!!! I love the double points.

Our last cruise we requested 5- $50 vouchers, instread they sent a $250 voucher with no check off for cash vouchers. We had our travel agent check with RCCL and it was all set.

When you call on the phone to redeem, they will tell you 6 weeks we always get them with 2 weeks.

I'm cutting it closer than I ever have. Our June 12 cruise put us over on the points, so I had to wait 'til the statement dropped (6/24) to request the coupons. I'm sure I'll have to fax them in, but if they arrive within 2 weeks (as they always have in the past) everything will be fine for our July 8 cruise.

For our July 14 cruise, I called MBNA on May 17 to redeem the points. Five weeks later I called for the status of the coupons and was told they had no record of my request. I will still get the onboard credit by giving RCL the coupon numbers but it was a hassle. Bottom line, when you order the coupons keep following up with MBNA for delivery status.

We all need to form a group to plead with RCI and MBNA to make this process a little less cumbersome. In this day and age of online everything....how hard would it be to enable us to order these things thru the website for Godsake! I am able to process way more complicated orders and reservations online...why not this????? OK, I feel better now..thanks for listening! :confused: Deb

I've noticed that anything that includes credits, point earned or rebates the companies make it hard to redeem. I think their hoping that not all customers will go thru all the hoops to redeem them.

Even though, we are still using an MBNA credit card to get some on board credit for our cruise in Jan.

Jamie - I see your cruise is over a year away. Don't cash in your points too soon. The rewards coupons expire 6 months after cashing in the points.

You can still submit them for your cruise even if it is over 6 months away. I have submitted vouchers for cruises that are over 6 months away and had no problem.

We all need to form a group to plead with RCI and MBNA to make this process a little less cumbersome. In this day and age of online everything....how hard would it be to enable us to order these things thru the website for Godsake! I am able to process way more complicated orders and reservations online...why not this????? OK, I feel better now..thanks for listening! :confused: Deb
Amen, Sister!!! :D
You can still submit them for your cruise even if it is over 6 months away. I have submitted vouchers for cruises that are over 6 months away and had no problem.
Good to know. Thanks. :)

I have another question for those of you with the credit card. Did MBNA change you to a variable rate? I had fixed rate of 5.9 and it was changed to a variable rate. I called MBNA when this happened and they said they were doing it to everyone.

Jamie

Well I just redeemed 80,000 points. I'm a bit disappointed as they give you a value of $1500 for 75,000 points. This is good for 1 free companion fare. However that being said you cannot use any of your points for air or taxes. Taxes aren't really an issue. Heck it took a lot to get to 75,000 and if they give you a value it sure would be nice if they gave you at least some onboard credit for the difference. ie: value $1500 - $1399 stateroom = difference in onboard credit. I'm going to use my NCL card. My TA just cashed in 3,000 points and NCL let them use it as cash and you had no restrictions where you want to cruise and you could use it for air, port and taxes!

Does anyone know what a "Qualifying Transaction" is? We're suppose to get 2,500 bonus points on our first qualifying transaction. Mine hasn't shown up yet. I guess my transactions don't qualify. LOL
Have you received your first statement yet? You can't check mid-cycle to see how many rewards points you have. You will be able to view them online after the closing date. And, of course, they will be printed on your paper statement too.