Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Daytime Tango Show in Buenos Aires?

We will be in BA on March 19. Unfortunately, the Star Princess is only in port from 8 am to 5 pm. We have signed up for a ship excursion that includes sightseeing, lunch and a tango show. I assume the tango show has been specifically arranged for Princess because of the time. If possible, we prefer to take private tours.

Does anyone have any ideas about attending a daytime tango show?

Lynne

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Ideal is a downtown tangueria which is open in the afternoons for dancing to live music. I do not believe there is an afternoon show per se, but if you like to see good dancing by non theatrical members of the public this is a great place. Be forewarned . There is a certain etiquette that frowns upon taking photos of the dancers.
http://www.confiteriaideal.com/index.htm

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl61 View Post
The Ideal is a downtown tangueria which is open in the afternoons for dancing to live music. I do not believe there is an afternoon show per se, but if you like to see good dancing by non theatrical members of the public this is a great place. Be forewarned . There is a certain etiquette that frowns upon taking photos of the dancers.
http://www.confiteriaideal.com/index.htm
Really appreciate your help, I would never have thought of a tangueria on my own. I have requested an travel agent based in BA to put together a full day tour including sightseeing, a bbq lunch and a visit to a tango club.

Lynne

Old February 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lynne, if you walk around La Boca at lunchtime, you'll see tons of tango performances. Ok, they're not the sit-down dinner/multiple costume/orchestra tango shows, but they are enjoyable. Just about every outdoor cafe along the one main street (Caminita, I think), has a "free" tango show. The only catch is that, unless you want to stand in the back behind the tables, you really need to purchase something. You could, though, just get a soda or a coffee. We saw a number of tango performances. While they weren't as flashy as the nighttime tango show, we definitely enjoyed them.

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD View Post
Lynne, if you walk around La Boca at lunchtime, you'll see tons of tango performances. Ok, they're not the sit-down dinner/multiple costume/orchestra tango shows, but they are enjoyable. Just about every outdoor cafe along the one main street (Caminita, I think), has a "free" tango show. The only catch is that, unless you want to stand in the back behind the tables, you really need to purchase something. You could, though, just get a soda or a coffee. We saw a number of tango performances. While they weren't as flashy as the nighttime tango show, we definitely enjoyed them.
Unfortunately, we will only be in BA for one day and really want to maximize our time there as the only other time we have been there was from the airport to the ship and did not have a chance to see anything (it was during their financial meltdown several years ago.

Do you know if there are vans as well as taxis at the pier to take passengers on an all day tour, i.e. sightseeing, La Boca for tango and lunch, etc.

Lynne

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimg Pao View Post
Unfortunately, we will only be in BA for one day and really want to maximize our time there as the only other time we have been there was from the airport to the ship and did not have a chance to see anything (it was during their financial meltdown several years ago.

Do you know if there are vans as well as taxis at the pier to take passengers on an all day tour, i.e. sightseeing, La Boca for tango and lunch, etc.

Lynne
We were able to arrange that through Carlos at Private Tours.

Old December 12th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tango

Did you ever find a tango in BA during the daytime?

Or was the princess excursion fine for this?
2013 Ruby Princess - Greek Isles (12)
2013 Sapphire Princess - Mexico Riveria (7)
2014 Golden Princess - South America (15)

Old December 13th, 2014, 09:00 AM
5,000+ Club

The tango at La Boca is no where near what you get at one of the evening tango shows.

I understand that some of the premier tango shows do have afternoon shows, but they sell out fast.

Here are the shows:

· Tango Porteño

Cerrito 570, El Centro (next to Teatro Colon)

Tel 011 4124-9400

Dinner: 20.30 Show: 22.15 (90 mins)

http://tangoporteno.com.ar

· Piazzolla Tango

Florida 165, El Centro

Tel 011 4344-8201

Dinner: 20.45 Show: 22.15 (90 mins)

www.piazzollatango.com

· Rojo Tango (Faena Hotel)

Martha Salotti 445, Puerto Madero

www.rojotango.com

· Esquina Carlos Gardel

Carlos Gardel 3200, Abasto

Tel 011 4867 6363

www.esquinacarlosgardel.com.ar

· Boca Tango

Brandsen 923, La Boca

Tel 011 4302 0808

www.bocatango.com.ar

· Señor Tango

Vietes 1655, La Boca

Tel 011 4303 0231

www.senortango.com.ar

Old December 14th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabarton View Post
Did you ever find a tango in BA during the daytime?

Or was the princess excursion fine for this?
I don't know of any day time tango shows, other than street performances and brief tango demonstrations in some of the cafes in locations like la Boca that cater to tourists.

If the OP found such a show, it would be very helpful to post contact information.
[color="Navy"]May 2009 Coral Princess Alaska.December 2009 NCL Pride of America Hawaii.January 2011 NCL Norwegian Jade Eastern Mediterranean.May 2011 Golden Princess Inside Passage.November 2011 Coral Princess Panama Canal.February 2012. Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.March 2012 Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.April 2012 Caribbean Princess Trans Atlantic.November 2012 Crown Princess Greek Isles.April 2013 Crown Princess Trans Atlantic.June 2013 Caribbean Princess Norwegian Coast.June 2013 Caribbean Princess British Isles[b]March 2014 Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Golden Princess January 2015 Cape Horn [COLOR]

Old December 14th, 2014, 08:56 AM
5,000+ Club

We saw Tango Porteño when we were in Buenos Aires in January. It was great. It was an evening show with dinner.

Rachel, from our Bed and Breakfast told us they had an afternoon show, but by the time she could buy our tickets, they were sold out.

Old December 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4774Papa View Post
We saw Tango Porteño when we were in Buenos Aires in January. It was great. It was an evening show with dinner.

Rachel, from our Bed and Breakfast told us they had an afternoon show, but by the time she could buy our tickets, they were sold out.
I have heard good things about the show there. They aren't showing an afternoon performance on their web site though.

I have been to four other shows and none of them have an afternoon show either. I checked the web site for the Borges Center, No luck there. There might be one but and would love for the OP or anyone who has actually been to one to post a link.

http://tangoporteno.com.ar/eng/index.html#/Tarifas
[color="Navy"]May 2009 Coral Princess Alaska.December 2009 NCL Pride of America Hawaii.January 2011 NCL Norwegian Jade Eastern Mediterranean.May 2011 Golden Princess Inside Passage.November 2011 Coral Princess Panama Canal.February 2012. Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.March 2012 Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean.April 2012 Caribbean Princess Trans Atlantic.November 2012 Crown Princess Greek Isles.April 2013 Crown Princess Trans Atlantic.June 2013 Caribbean Princess Norwegian Coast.June 2013 Caribbean Princess British Isles[b]March 2014 Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Golden Princess January 2015 Cape Horn [COLOR]

Last edited by dr__dawggy; December 14th, 2014 at 10:02 AM.

Old December 15th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Daytime Tango

Thanks all -
I suppose we will just go on the ship excursion so we are able to see a semi-formal tango. Yes, I'm sure its not the same as the evening shows when everyone is "glittered" up, but for the time we are in port, I think the Princess excursion might trump just walking around and trying to see one at random on La Boca.

Kyle
2013 Ruby Princess - Greek Isles (12)
2013 Sapphire Princess - Mexico Riveria (7)
2014 Golden Princess - South America (15)