taking a cooler onboard?

muffyn

we have usually put our carry on wine & soft drinks in a SMALL cooler to carry onboard, but last ship had a size restriction of less than 12" on any side (ours was 12 1/2" on ONE side & they refused to let it on,, really stupid, since it was smaller than most of our carry on luggage.:mad:)

so ,, are there any problems with bringing on a small cooler? I'd rather use one than a rollie bag.

we have usually put our carry on wine & soft drinks in a SMALL cooler to carry onboard, but last ship had a size restriction of less than 12" on any side (ours was 12 1/2" on ONE side & they refused to let it on,, really stupid, since it was smaller than most of our carry on luggage.:mad:)

so ,, are there any problems with bringing on a small cooler? I'd rather use one than a rollie bag.

All the cabins on Princess ships have a mini fridge so you would not need the cooler as such on the ship. I do not recall seeing any one take one on board, but I'm sure some have.

For the soft drinks, if it's a case, just stick a luggage label on and it will be delivered to your cabin, wine is limited to one bottle per person - and that rule now seems to be enforced at several US ports.

If you want/need to take the cooler then I do not see Princess refusing it, particularly one that small.

I'd say that I've ever personally seen someone board with a small cooler. I'd say they'd probably open your cooler due to it containing liquids. As a previous poster stated, depending on what port you embark from, they will charge you a corkage fee if you are bringing over the limit for wine. If it's a port where they are enforcing the alcohol rules, such as Los Angeles (San Pedro), they will confiscate beer and give it back on the last night. Soda only shouldn't be a problem.....:):):)

Bob

We have brought a small cooler with us before (still has the Princess luggage tag on it as a matter of fact). We checked it and there was no problem. We had a 12 pack of water in it. The couple we traveled with also brought a small soft-side cooler with them and had no problem whatsoever. We ask the cabin steward to put ice in it and use it to store additional cold beverages (and for extra ice) as the fridge is normally filled with wine and water. :)

Technically it has to be able to fit in the xray machine, but realistically anything other than a full size camping cooler should.

Yes, people bring on coolers all the time. Especially in FLL. If they open it and all you have is water and soda, you can bring on any size cooler you want. Just keep the wine to one bottle each.

I have a rolling small cooler that I got at Costco and have brought it on many cruises. I will put my wine in it as well as water bottles. It fits through the x-ray machine and I have never had a problem.

Usually use it leaving the ship filled with anything I purchased while traveling.

we have usually put our carry on wine & soft drinks in a SMALL cooler to carry onboard, but last ship had a size restriction of less than 12" on any side (ours was 12 1/2" on ONE side & they refused to let it on,, really stupid, since it was smaller than most of our carry on luggage.

What ship/cruise line would not let your cooler onboard?

I got a good laugh at the cooler, why would you take a cooler? Take your drinks & ask for ice. Cruising is not a picnic.

Weight. That's a good reason for taking a cooler. It's not for keeping things cold, but for rolling it on with the heavy soda and water. :rolleyes:

Edited by Pia1913

Yes, people bring on coolers all the time. Especially in FLL. If they open it and all you have is water and soda, you can bring on any size cooler you want. Just keep the wine to one bottle each.

We take coolers on every cruise we go on. I pack my roller cooler and also check a tote cooler with soda/water. But I have friends that walked on with a roller cooler with Champagne and have seen others take coolers on with no issues. I check mine just b/c I don't want to lug it around with me until our cabins are open. If I am taking wine/champagne with me, I just put it in my carry on tote that I take.

I got a good laugh at the cooler, why would you take a cooler? Take your drinks & ask for ice. Cruising is not a picnic.

We take a cooler for 2 reasons, lots of ice in the cabin and to take out to the islands to take to the beaches. We never, ever cruise without taking at least 2 coolers with us.

We take coolers on every cruise we go on. I pack my roller cooler and also check a tote cooler with soda/water. But I have friends that walked on with a roller cooler with Champagne and have seen others take coolers on with no issues. I check mine just b/c I don't want to lug it around with me until our cabins are open. If I am taking wine/champagne with me, I just put it in my carry on tote that I take.

On Princess you never have to wait for your cabin to be available.

We always bring a small, soft sided, collapsable cooler. We fill it with bottles of water and check it when boarding with a luggage tag. It always arrives just fine in our cabin. We take it to islands with us.

Perhaps you could invest in a collapsible cooler and just bring the stuff to put in it in a regular shopping bag?

I do have one of those also.

but main reason I like the hard sided one, is to prevent wine bottle breakage possibility ( we have several adults together, so take that bunch of wine with us & carry it together).

also, I have never found the fridges on the ships to get things very cold. seems to take all week, the hard side cooler comes in handy to get things cold fast, & just in case there would be leak......

thanks for replies.

I can't stand watered down drinks from ice.

soft drinks & bottled water,, just have to be cold on their own.

:D

plus as I said, a small cooler is so much easier to carry wine bottles.