GSC stingray city or wave runner?

motleyfan

Be aware the wave runner tour is a guided slow burn on machines capable of so much more, there is no free time to get it up to speed, it's more of an eco tour and constantly waiting for at least one slow poke trying to get that perfect photo of a rock

I agree with MrJoeBlack. The wave runners are fun but on this tour you spend more time waiting for the slow pokes. We rode them maybe for 30 minutes total. If you ever go to Bermuda definitely do the wave runners there, totally different experience.

I've been trying to decide between the two. I've never done either. Which would you recommend the most?

Stingray city!!!! I went because I thought it would be a good excursion, it was great! I fell in love with the stingrays and it was such fun

Stingrays.

You live in PBC - You can rent way hotter waverunners here for less money and not be limited to 25 MPH.

I've never ridden once I'd be nervous I'd probably be the slow person in the back lol. The Stingrays do look really cool and seems like a lot of fun. Both look like something awesome that I've never done. Do the sting rays have their barbs? I'm a little nervous about that because I remember that's how Steve Irwin died.

I've never ridden once I'd be nervous I'd probably be the slow person in the back lol. The Stingrays do look really cool and seems like a lot of fun. Both look like something awesome that I've never done. Do the sting rays have their barbs? I'm a little nervous about that because I remember that's how Steve Irwin died.

Different type of Stingray, these are safe to be around. You'll get a hands on experience.

I've been trying to decide between the two. I've never done either. Which would you recommend the most?

I recommend saving the stingray experience until you can do the Stingray Sandbar on a W. Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman. Those are "wild" Rays, with their barbs, but very gentle, like a bunch of frisky puppies. You are instructed on safety, which amounts to not running your hand down the back into a barb or stepping backwards onto a barbed tail.

The Rays at GSC I assume are penned, kept in captivity, very pricey, and I doubt the experience can compare. I'd save my money for something else and put the sandbar experience on my bucket list.

When we went to Grand Cayman, I did a tour with my younger son and some others that went to Sting Ray City. It was awesome. My husband and older son did the wave runners, which also included a visit to Sting Ray City. They said it was a blast. FYI, our tours were not done through the cruise line. Check the island tour offerings and you can likely do both things you are hoping to do.

Wave Runners! When we did them last year, they had a guide in the front and in the back and the guide in the front went fast and the one in the back stayed behind the slowest person. We were able to go full throttle and stay just behind the guide in the front, it was a blast on the calm waters between a couple of the islands. They also stop you at a sand bar where you can jump off and pickup a couple of star fish to hold and take pictures, just an added bonus!

When we did the wave runners in June they did not let us jump in the water. Two guides jumped in and grabbed a starfish and passed it around. It was nice to hold a large starfish but since we were 16 wave runners it took too much time, less riding time.

For a first timer this would be a great experience for you because the guides will keep an eye on you. It will be a thrilling experience.

I recommend saving the stingray experience until you can do the Stingray Sandbar on a W. Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman. Those are "wild" Rays, with their barbs, but very gentle, like a bunch of frisky puppies. You are instructed on safety, which amounts to not running your hand down the back into a barb or stepping backwards onto a barbed tail.

The Rays at GSC I assume are penned, kept in captivity, very pricey, and I doubt the experience can compare. I'd save my money for something else and put the sandbar experience on my bucket list.

You're saying the sandbar stingrays have their barbs? That would be the ones I'd want to stay away from

All wild stingrays have barbs- will you get stung? Not unless you step on one or do something stupid. Irwin was just very unlucky that one barbed him in the heart.

Wave runners cane be done anywhere.

I did Sting Ray City in Cayman while 5 months pregnant. You'll be fine.

All wild stingrays have barbs- will you get stung? Not unless you step on one or do something stupid. Irwin was just very unlucky that one barbed him in the heart.

Wave runners cane be done anywhere.

I did Sting Ray City in Cayman while 5 months pregnant. You'll be fine.

How did you know the stingray was 5 months prego?

We have twice done an independent tour that picks you up in town, takes you to a hotel where you get on your wave runner and the ride to SRC. They then take you to a reef if you want to snorkel or to the beach for about 45 minutes to an hour. Best of both worlds and these wave runners will flat out fly.

Stingrays.

You live in PBC - You can rent way hotter waverunners here for less money and not be limited to 25 MPH.

There was no 25 mph limit. I had mine cranked up to 45 to keep up with the guide.

We made 2 brief stops. One at a small island that formerly housed a drug smuggling operation. Interesting history. The second was in deep clear water. The guide dove to the bottom and brought up a huge sea star. Neat.

The rest of the time was spent blasting across the water.

U can rent a wave runner anywhere but how often do you get to go pet and feed sting rays!? [emoji50] we booked this for our upcoming cruise so hopefully it's as awesome as it sounds and looks on YouTube [emoji16]

There was no 25 mph limit. I had mine cranked up to 45 to keep up with the guide.

We made 2 brief stops. One at a small island that formerly housed a drug smuggling operation. Interesting history. The second was in deep clear water. The guide dove to the bottom and brought up a huge sea star. Neat.

The rest of the time was spent blasting across the water.

Was the island with the drugs Normans Caye?

Sting rays!!!! (Don't worry about their barbs....they are used to people and unless you step on one or corner it somehow, it won't use its barb. Steve Irwin got hit with a barb because the ray felt threatened and it was a 'wild' ray, not used to being around people (the video unfortunately is on YouTube). The rays at GSC and Grand Cayman's Sting Ray City are used to being fed. We had squid to feed them and they suck it right out of your hand. The only problem I had were the yellowtail fish swimming around trying to grab scraps....I had one grab some squid out of my hand and scrapped its teeth along my fingers....I had a nice bloody hand after that. The rays are the least of your concerns. But all in all, it was an awesome experience.