Can I bring my own beach umbrella?

We are going to Bermuda on July 2 out of NY on the Explorer of the Seas. Since I don't have to fly I would like to bring my own beach umbrella and take it with us when we go to the beach. Am I allowed to bring that on board? Or should I just rent one in Bermuda? My only concern is if all the umbrellas are already rented by the time we get to the beach...

We are going to Bermuda on July 2 out of NY on the Explorer of the Seas. Since I don't have to fly I would like to bring my own beach umbrella and take it with us when we go to the beach. Am I allowed to bring that on board? Or should I just rent one in Bermuda? My only concern is if all the umbrellas are already rented by the time we get to the beach...

You'll poke somebody's eye out:eek:

You'll poke somebody's eye out:eek:

That made me LOL and think of this...

a-christmas-story.jpg

"You'll shoot yer eye out, kid"

OP, you shouldn't have a problem with bringing your own beach umbrella provided it is small enough to fit through the various security scanners when boarding the ship.

Personally, I would not want to lug a beach umbrella around with me. Do not worry about them running out of them at the beach. There will be plenty to go around. At every beach I have been to, there have always been umbrellas to rent.

Yes. You can tag it with a luggae tag and give it to the porters, or you can carry it on. We purchased one about 5 or 6 yrs ago, it was on sale and we thought it would be a great idea too. But, we have never brought it with us!! Too much luggae to be bothered, even though we left from Bayonne and had a limo driver! Still have never used it!

I'm always left scratching my head at people that want to bring more "stuff" from home on their cruise. Bed linens, their own toilet tissue, pillows, air mattresses, folding loungers, coffee makers, tea pots, irons, food, and one couple who bring a folding picnic-like table for their balcony..and now a beach umbrella? Regardless of the airline restrictions or even when we drive to the port, lugging less is desireable for me. If this is going to make or break your enjoyment of the cruise, by all means, stroll on with a beach umbrella.

If this were to become a popular practice, I can just see the signs popping up at the beaches: "Guests are not permitted to bring food, beverages, or beach umbrellas onto this property". :D

Edited by negc

I dont really know the one the OP has, but they take up very little space and are lightweight...

portabrella-portable-beach-umbrella.jpg

[disclaimer:This is just off the net and not me]

Plus, I can understand her point if she drives to the port. That is why we try to leave from the northeast on most of our cruises. DH says you cant beat the luxury from door to door. We have a driver pick us up, he handles all our baggage, then the porters take them from the limo, they're delivered to our cabin and reverse on disembarking. DH feels it is a luxury for him to not have to pick up and handle our 12 pieces of luggage [for a 2 week cruise, we dont take 12 pcs on a short 7 nighter,lol But, DH loves that he doesnt have to schlep anything]! lol

Again, we have never toted one with us.

Uh oh, I am intrigued now, lmao @ me!

http://sklz.ca/soccer/sport-brella.aspx

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

I am amazed at all the stuff folks want to bring on a cruise (often for a week or less!), but heck – it is their choice. I recall one thread about someone who actually brought some sort of roll up table for the balcony!

As for the umbrella -if you really want to bring one, there are some smaller versions that are the size of a rain umbrella and clip to the back of a beach chair. That would seem easier to navigate. I can’t imagine getting into a taxi or tour bus with a large umbrella.

Enjoy

Edited by cruisegirl1

I dont really know the one the OP has, but they take up very little space and are lightweight...

Plus, I can understand her point if she drives to the port. That is why we try to leave from the northeast on most of our cruises. DH says you cant beat the luxury from door to door. We have a driver pick us up, he handles all our baggage, then the porters take them from the limo, they're delivered to our cabin and reverse on disembarking. DH feels it is a luxury for him to not have to pick up and handle our 12 pieces of luggage [for a 2 week cruise, we dont take 12 pcs on a short 7 nighter,lol But, DH loves that he doesnt have to schlep anything]! lol

Okay, now that I have I looked at these two items, I will reconsider...a little. Neither one of these is as big as I had pictured aportablee beach umbrella to be. With that being said, I still would not want to carry one on/off the ship with me. It would be much easier to rent one. If you are bringing your own as a cost saving measure, this would probably be the way to go. I think the OP's concern was vendors running out of rentals at the beach. If that's the case, leave the portable one at home, there will be plenty of rentals at the beach.

The one in that pic looks quite manageable and I could see why some might want to bring their own if they are similar to the one shown.

On a slightly different note... CDNJ...12 bags?!? I'm totally not questioning the need or anything but wow, that's a lot of luggage to bring along :eek: I can appreciate the appeal of being able to drive to your port of departure... :)

If you have more than one carry on each, one large suitcase each, and share a garmet bag, for ANY lenght of cruise, you are definetly overpacking!!!:eek: We usually pack the above for 12 to 14 nighters, and I never wear everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Don't forget the fishing pole, we actually saw that one!!!!!!!!!!:D

You can bring anything with you on the cruise that will reasonably fit in your cabin except items that are clearly forbidden like explosives, irons, candles, firearms, etc. It also much be able to go through the luggage screener at the port and on board the ship at the gangway. Wouldn't it be just easier just to get to the beach early and rent an umbrella if in fact they do rent them. Lugging an umbrella is such a hassle, but that's clearly up to you.

Yes, you can take a beach umbrella cuz I took a small one on the Explorer to Bermuda. I have blonde hair and green eyes and have two skin colors...fish belly white and fire engine red. I can get burnt sitting next to a light bulb but also LOVE the beach.

I KNEW I needed sun protection other than SPF 1000. My DH also loves the beach and can sit in the sun all day and NOT burn. I did NOT want to ruin my vacation by not being able to rent an umbrella and getting burnt to a crisp.

So by all means take the umbrella and don't worry about OTHER posters comments.

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

Yes, you can take a beach umbrella cuz I took a small one on the Explorer to Bermuda. I have blonde hair and green eyes and have two skin colors...fish belly white and fire engine red. I can get burnt sitting next to a light bulb but also LOVE the beach.

I KNEW I needed sun protection other than SPF 1000. My DH also loves the beach and can sit in the sun all day and NOT burn. I did NOT want to ruin my vacation by not being able to rent an umbrella and getting burnt to a crisp.

So by all means take the umbrella and don't worry about OTHER posters comments.

Happy Cruising!

LOL...I love your descriptions...I am the same way...I am a shade seeker both on the ship and on the beach because of how easily I burn...

Thank you all for your responses. The umbrella I had in mind is very light weight and space in the cabin would by no means be an issue. My concern is that DH likes to sleep in when on vacation so chances are we'll get to the beach rather late hence the possibility of not finding an umbrella to rent. I had some skin issues and cannot abuse the sun :(.