toursaver hotels in anchorage

mortypro

Yep- the Ramada. OK hotel. But rarely are the toursaver coupons for lodging a big savings. Most always I can get a B&B cheaper.

Plus some people get wrapped up with the 2 for 1 and use time they don't have for the second night, when a move would be a better option for touring.

Okay being from here I haven't stayed in any of the local hotels, but I can tell you about location.

If it's the downtown Ramada, it's in a good spot. If it's the Muldoon Ramada you'll not be downtown. Clarion Suites is in a good location and the Dimond is in the parking lot of a shopping center that's a good 10-15 minute drive to downtown. Basically at the far corner, just across the street from the WalMart.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Mortypro,

Budget Queen is right and when I read your email that had hit my inbox before I got to here that's what I was going to post. Unless you plan to stay downtown you will need a car. Most of the downtown hotels are easy walking distance to restaurants, shopping, the museum and if tradition holds the Alaska Native Heritage Center was running a bus from downtown last summer, with pickup at downtown hotels and their gift shop downtown.

Go to http://www.anchorage.net and check out the Visitor's web site as well as order the Visitor's Guide.

All kinds of day trips around Anchorage if you have a car. Not sure of who's coming, your ages, and interest and if you give a little of that, can help even more.

we are 2 or possibly 4 mid 50 year olds who are up for anything but fishing

we will be in anchorage for one or two full days

and would love suggestions for day trips or even overnighters

we fly in late either monday july 24 or july 25 and have will be leaving for seward on july 27 by train

mortypro,

As I said go check out the visitor's site and if you're planning to do some day trips then I would suggest getting a car if you want to do them on your own, otherwise you'd be looking at doing something say with GrayLine of Alaska.

If you don't have a car, then stay somewhere downtown and you can spend a morning or afternoon in our museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/. Then if the Alaska Native Heritage Center is open that's a very nice place http://www.alaskanative.net/ Though they don't have their summer info yet.

We have an intensive trail system that starts downtown. You could either walk part of that or there are a couple of places downtown that rent bikes.

Now if you get a car - you could head south to Portage - visit the visitor's center down there, hike up to Bryon Glacier (not a hard walk at all), stop at Girdwood on the way back. Take the tram at the Alyeska Prince resort http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10836 Then usually have the option were you can have lunch up there too. Or there are a couple of other places in Girdwood/Alyeska that have great food.

If you head north - there's Eklutna with the native graveyard, Thunderbird Falls - easy trail there. Eklutna Lake that has a number of trails and is a gorgeous lake or the Eagle River Visitor's Center has some nice trails.

If you like to hike we have a huge amounts of trails within the State Parks. If you follow this link http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/aktrails/ats.htm and go into the Anchorage area in the map, you have a whole range of places you could go.

If you do decide to rent a car so you can get out there more, I suggest you'd find one soon. We actually have been known to run out of cars on certain days.

No problem. And as you make more plans and need anymore information, track me down :D

We will be in anchorage either may 27 28 or 29th depending when I can catch a flight..

will arrive like 12 15 am.. do you wanna run shuttle service to your place.. let us sleep in the garage.. then get us to our rent a car the next am?

haa.. with my goofy airline schedule.. It may be hard to book ahead for a room in anchorage.. whats the room avialablity if we get into anchorage that weekend with out a reservation?

thanks

Jimcat - Sorry no room in this inn :D

Starts getting hard to find rooms at the bigger hotels downtown because the cruise lines are using them pre or post cruise.

You may be able to find something out by the airport. There is a Coast, a Marriott Courtyard, a Holiday Express, the Best Western Barratt Inn, the Millenium (driving down the street in my head trying to remember all :D), the Puffin Inn (that's local). Just down International in the Midtown area, there is a Fairfield Inn, a Motel 6 or 8, can't remember and I drive by the thing every day, a Hampton, a Hilton Garden, a Homewood Suites. There's a hotel board in the baggage claim area and I guess worse case scenario you'd have to just start pushing those buttons. Though don't be shocked at the prices. Memorial Day hits and the prices go cha ching :eek:

We will be in anchorage either may 27 28 or 29th depending when I can catch a flight..

will arrive like 12 15 am.. do you wanna run shuttle service to your place.. let us sleep in the garage.. then get us to our rent a car the next am?

haa.. with my goofy airline schedule.. It may be hard to book ahead for a room in anchorage.. whats the room avialablity if we get into anchorage that weekend with out a reservation?

thanks

You need reservations in advance and car rental offices are open until about 1:30am, so no problem picking up your car. Do you really want to hunt around for lodging if you don't reserve ahead after midnight and pay through the nose???

We are in the same situation as Jimcat - We get into Anchorage airport at 11:30PM and then leave by train at 8:00AM the next morning for McKinley. We booked the Anchor Arms Hotel for $59 - do you know anything about this hotel. I'm not expecting much for $59 but I don't want a flea bag either!

We are in the same situation as Jimcat - We get into Anchorage airport at 11:30PM and then leave by train at 8:00AM the next morning for McKinley. We booked the Anchor Arms Hotel for $59 - do you know anything about this hotel. I'm not expecting much for $59 but I don't want a flea bag either!

Unfortunately can't tell you about the hotel it self but it isn't in the best part of town. We all had to sit here (and we range being in Anchorage from 28 years to 48 years to try and figure out where in the heck this place was). Anything for $59 a night in Anchorage in the summer, I would really wonder about.

You may want to research and see if you can find something else. On the lower end of the hotels here in town, in the downtown area there is a Ramada Inn, a Howard Johnson's, a Day's Inn, Comfort Inn and a place called the Anchorage Grand (seen the website for that place and it looks nice, just not sure about the prices in the summer).

Susan :)

Thanx - Since you live in Anchorage your advise is gospel on this forum! I'm going to cancel my reservation at the Anchor Arms and try one of the others you recommended.

BTW the anchor Arms is on Eagle St. between 4th and 5th Ave.

Chetsky,

I had looked up the address when you told me the name because none of us knew of it. Actually had the phone book out, looking up places as we moved down 4th Avenue just trying to figure out what it was by so that we could tell you about the area.

Not sure when you're coming so don't be shocked when you see some of the prices.

There is other stuff out by the airport too - Coast International, a Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, a Marriott Courtyard.

Towns not that big and the most you're looking at if you stay out by the airport is 10-15 minutes to the downtown train depot not to be confused with the train depot that the cruise lines use at the airport.

Where is the Super 8 located? Their web site said they had shuttle from the airport (we arrive late in the evening) and also shuttle to the rail station (we head to Whittier the next morning). We really don't want to rent a car.

Thanks.

K.

Forgot that one when I was listing them all. The Super 8 is right off one of our main streets - Minnesota. Won't have a much of a view and not too much to see around there. Can't tell you how the rooms are but for one night you'd probably be fine.

Thanks Susan. I do remember reading it was on Minnesota street as we are from Minnesota. I booked it several months ago and even at that time there were many hotels that didn't have vacancies on Sunday June 4th. I think I will keep the reservation and it will be fine for the short time we'll be in it.

K.

Sounds like we are in the same situation - coming in late and leaving early the next morning for Mckinley. Please leave a post if you find a decent motel and I'll do the same. We get in to Achorage at 11:30PM on May 20 and leave by train for Mckinley on the 21st. When do you arrive in anchorage ?

Archived