Orient Beach Questions

bankerbabe

We are planning a day on our own (independent of shore excursions or tours) on St. Maarten. We plan to spend the day lounging at Orient Beach. I have a couple of questions, though:

1. If our ship sails at 6 pm, what's an approximate time to head back to the boat. I know we need to be there in advance of the sailing time (I like to be back at least an hour) and I know that traffic can be ugly on the island. I really don't want to end up being one of those yahoos that are running to the ship at the last second.
  2. Tipping. What are the tipping customs for restaurants/beach attendants, etc. We plan to eat lunch and enjoy some adult beverages during our day on the beach and I want to make sure to tip appropriately.
  3. Snorkeling. Is it worth it to bring along our snorkel gear, or is Orient Beach more of a relax and enjoy the water kind of place.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am aware that it is clothing-optional, but thank you for the warning. Although I don't plan to participate in the au natural bit, it doesn't bother me. Who knows, I may change my mind. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

I went to orient beach for the day in February. We were dropped off at the Pirate bar and had an enjoyable day. It was a good 20min taxi ride or so..but nice to see the island. We stayed at the island from 10am-2pm which was actually plenty of time..If your ship leaves at 6pm id leave the island by 4pm at the latest just to be sure, you never know what could happen. The taxi that took us there asked what time we wanted to be picked up, and he was prompty there on time to return us back to the ship. We payed 7.50 for a chair, umbrella and you got a ticket for one rum punch. We did not tip any additional money..if we wanted more drinks we went up to the bar and did not use the waiters that were on the beach. If you use the waiters to get you food/drink i assume tipping is expected. The water was nice, the beach got crowded later in the day especially as we were leaving at 2pm.

Overall it was nice and relaxing, I dont know how good the snorkling was, they did rent snorkling gear as well as jet skiis, parasailing etc and lots of people were doing that. The only negative thing I can say is the islanders were constantly walking around the beach trying to sell stuff and got pretty annoying..they were there all day! But what can ya do I guess...just say NO THANKS a million times ;)

I attached some pics from our day there, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

2007_0211cruise0093.jpg.9211b73d9468e9b5ddc92dd38286aeac.jpg

2007_0211cruise0098.jpg.0bf35c8beeeaf129911b7de9ee4f5f2f.jpg

2007_0211cruise0087.jpg.408716fca0cf0118d4fd9e93ff506b9a.jpg

We've been to OB three times on cruises. I agree with Hippygirl that 4 or 5 hours at the beach is probably plenty. We usually try to leave the beach around 3:00 p.m., which is 2 to 2-1/2 hours before the ship is to sail.

Regarding tipping, we usually park ourselves on the clothing-optional side, just down from the Perch Bar, which is actually close to the line which separates the nude side from the other. It is $6 each per lounger, plus $6 for the umbrella, or a total of $18. We usually just hand the guys a $20 and leave it at that. Note, if a lounger has a band on it (like the colored type they put on your wrist to allow you to drink at a street party, etc.), then it's reserved. We had to move the last time we were there.

The area we go to doesn't have waiters that come to the beach. We just get our drinks from Willie at the Perch Bar. I think happy hour is from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (2 for 1). We usually tip her the normal 15-20%.

Can't help you regarding the snorkeling. We always just park and bake.

Two things about the clothing-optional side: Feel free to use this side of the beach, even if you keep your swimsuit on (or part thereof - my DW goes topless). There are many "clothed" folks who prefer the quieter side of the beach. In fact, in our 3 trips, we've never encountered the solicitations which Hippygirl has experienced.

I hope you enjoy OB as much as we do. It's become our favorite beach in the world.

...The only negative thing I can say is the islanders were constantly walking around the beach trying to sell stuff and got pretty annoying..they were there all day! But what can ya do I guess...just say NO THANKS a million times ;)...

Part of the problem is that cruisers are prime targets for beach vendors. It's very obvious which people are from cruise ships and which are not especially when cruise ship towels are used. Most of the vendor action is at Bikini Beach where the majority of cruisers are situated.

Thank you all so much for the information - it really does help. Believe it or not, one of the reasons that we chose Orient Beach was because there are beach vendors. My crazy husband loves to shop and can't seem to sit still on the beach, so the vendors keep him entertained. He's a salesman, so loves a good bartering session. I ignore them and enjoy my time soaking up the sun. It's a compromise.

What's interesting is that the vendors at Orient are really nice people. More importantly about 80% of their merchandise is hand made and very well made at that. Of course they all negotiate and it's fun to walk away with some great treasures that would cost considerably more at home.

Look for shell pendants and necklaces. There's even one fellow who sells his own recording on CD. Go ...here... to listen to Dread. He's got an interesting reggae style and has performed on stage in London.

Now the hair braiders are another story. ;)

Happy Hour at the Perch is from 12:30 to 1:30. Listen for the bell.

I believe that chairs and umbrellas now cost a bit more than the $6 mentioned.

gary

Thanks for the correction on the Happy Hour times. I'm right, however, about the prices for the chairs and umbrella, at least those from Club Orient.

There's even one fellow who sells his own recording on CD. Go ...here... to listen to Dread. He's got an interesting reggae style and has performed on stage in London.

We saw him and talked a bit. He was really nice but didn't really want to buy anything at the beach. Guess, we all are different!

Didn't know that he was so accomplished!

I am aware that it is clothing-optional, but thank you for the warning. Although I don't plan to participate in the au natural bit, it doesn't bother me. Who knows, I may change my mind. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?

Right!

My DW (a gorgous banker babe) went topless but I can't resist joining the crowd. Running around naked on a beach and in the water besides being great fun, is something to try before you die. It is a wonderful freeing feeling and my wife gets a kick out of watching me enjoy it. We even got a massage at Club O (reserved ahead of time), a great GREAT massage, don't miss it and still made it back to the ship in plenty of time. We are not swingers(no way), we are devoted to each other, but hanging out naked on a nude beach, takes a little courage, but will give you a life long memory (and strangely) some very hot lovemaking back on the ship!

Ck out this site for lots of St Martin info;

http://*****

Let's just be sure that we separate equating "swingers" with being nude on a beach. One has nothing to do with the other except that I'm certain that swingers would all be nude at some point. I guess what I mean is that a naturist does not equal being a swinger. DH and I are also quite devoted to each other, not the least bit interested in any type of "swinger" activities, and it would never even cross our minds that going to a nude beach would be considered the equivalent. It's a shame that so many people can't simply enjoy the freedom that comes from being nude on the beach--as balconyboy and his DW obviously did enjoy it. Great attitude, and I hear you about the fun activities later in private. (Wink-wink.)

beachchick

p.s. kal, you are so naughty!

...Great attitude, and I hear you about the fun activities later in private. (Wink-wink.)

beachchick

p.s. kal, you are so naughty!

Ahhh, I can see the beachchick now, in a private dark room passionately WINKING. ;) ;) ;)

My kinda gurl !! ;)

Dude, the least you can do is provide a photo introduction of your DW to us humble worshippers. ;)

For further consideration, nothing special but maybe just a pix of the "most gorgous banker babe" sitting on the beach, in the buff counting money wearing a green visor. :eek:

I never would have guessed that this simple thread would have turned so entertaining.

*****-by-the-sea? Now that's funny. Hm . . . . after 14 years of marriage (today is our anniversary, in fact) maybe we could use a little excitement :D

I never would have guessed that this simple thread would have turned so entertaining.

*****-by-the-sea? Now that's funny. Hm . . . . after 14 years of marriage (today is our anniversary, in fact) maybe we could use a little excitement :D

Try 35 years of marriage and getting closer to Social Security time. ***** by the sea time.:D :D :D

I highly recommend "doing as the Romans." It is so fun and freeing to be naked on the beach! And yes, chairs and umbrellas are $6 a piece. And yes, there are no vendors bothering you on the c/o end of the beach!

I highly recommend "doing as the Romans." It is so fun and freeing to be naked on the beach! And yes, chairs and umbrellas are $6 a piece. And yes, there are no vendors bothering you on the c/o end of the beach!

We'll see if I can work up the nerve. It would be just my luck that someone I know from home would stroll by - second grade teacher, my dad's preacher, a customer . . . .:eek:

Archived