Carnival's Steakhouse - Worth the price?

John&John

I've never had the opportunity to take advantage of the steakhouse (or supper club) on any of my cruises.

Please let me know if this is a must do! ;)

Thanks!

You will get all sorts of answers (much like people who think balconies are either worth it or not). My 2 cents is that the Steakhouse is def. worth it. The food is much better than the MDR, the service is good but laid back (they say to allow 2 1/2 hours, but we have never been out in that time), and the desserts are outstanding. Try it.

I've never had the opportunity to take advantage of the steakhouse (or supper club) on any of my cruises.

Please let me know if this is a must do! ;)

Thanks!

We had the good fortune to do the "Point" steakhouse on the Conquest this past summer. The experience certainly does add to the overall cruise journey, and we'll do the specialty restaurants on at least one evening on every cruise where it is offered, going forward. The food was wonderful, but even more special was the quality "quiet time" the DW and I spent together, far from the noise and crowds. Would you enjoy the cruise without the 'steakhouse', most certainly. The Steakhouse will simply be one more 'event memory', and it's more than worth the price of admission, IMHO.

I would vote for the steakhouse. Is it worth $30 more than the MDR? Depends on what you value. I loved the steak cooked to perfection, the quiet atmosphere, the chance to spend a couple hours with my DW (on our honeymoon). And the desserts really are top, top notch!

Be aware that it's probably going to be more than $30 pp if you add a tip, which we do. I've read that the $30 pp is the tip and that it's not. So we just add a bit more.

Worth it? We enjoyed it. But only for two; if we had a couple of kids with us, I wouldn't do it.

Just try it once.

Shay

I plan to try it on the Pride next January. The MDR is really good and we enjoyed it on the Triumph. But I'd also like to try the Steakhouse, just to see how it compares. Unless you can't afford the upcharge (or would rather allocate that money elsewhere), then I don't see any reason not to try it.

We did it once and had a very nice time.

Was it worth the extra $ 60 for the two of us yes and we did add $ 10 for tip. How much of the service charge is the tip is unknown and while we did add to the "tip" I think we should be told what they servers are already making.

Basically we are very happy with dinner in the DR and unless we were having a bad experience in the DR will probably not go back.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will probably skip the steakhouse this upcoming cruise as we will be a group of 5. Plus there's one cheapskate in our group who wouldn't want to do it :rolleyes:.

Sounds like it might work out better with just 2.

$30 pp charge includes tip, per Carnival. Must do? No

Good Steak not Great, service is better than MDR. Great for a change of pace.

The steaks are supposed to be USDA Prime, so I would have expected them to be at least very good, if not excellent, especially since they are called a steakhouse now...

Thought the food and service in David's on The Pride were incredible. Totally worth the $30 per person. It was a nice change of pace from the dining room. The dining is fine, mind you, but it was nice to be somewhere less crowded, with a bit more ambiance and less rush to the meal. We loved it and will be back on our next cruise.

Actually the cost of the supper club is not $ 30.

You are already paying for your meal in the DR (plus tip) and this just add $ 30 to it.

If you remove the tip in the DR the tip police on the boards will attack and show no mercy.

We are sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride 1/31/2010 - we are first timers. We have already made reservations for one of the nights at Davids. Being first time cruisers, though, how dressy do they mean when they say the dress code is Cruise Elegant? My husband would rather not wear a jacket, so could he get away with that at Davids?

Thanks!

sandcat

Edited by sandcat

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the Steakhouse Guidelines:

From Carnival's website:

There is a nominal charge of $30 per person for dinner.

The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, desert and the wait staffs' gratuity.

Optional additional gratuities may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account.

Reservation fee does not include bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

Guests can request a table anytime between 6 PM and 9:30 PM.

Requesting your table at least two weeks prior to your sail date is recommended.

Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis.

If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned.

Please allow 2 ½ hours for your dining experience.

Dress code requires that men wear jackets on the 'Cruise Elegant' nights of the cruise.

All dining rooms are smoke-free.

Steakhouses are only available on Conquest-class, Spirit-class and Dream-class ships.

For me, it's not even a matter of the money. I tried it and simply didn't care for the experience. The service was way too invasive, in my opinion. You never got a chance to just sit and relax and talk to your companions without having one or more servers hovering about...:(