Reminder: last chance to buy summertime supplies

cruisinqt

Don't forget that summer will be ending soon and this may be your last chance to get summer time supplies. Many good summer time supplies are now on clearance like suntan lotion, swimsuits, flipflops, sunhats, water wallets, mosquito repellent, etc. For those of you cruising in the winter months like me, this may be your last chance to buy these things before they're gone and replaced with winter coats and boots. There's nothing worse than needing a few last minute supplies for a cruise and having to wait to buy the stuff while you're in port or on the ship because everything in your local stores are all winter stuff.:(

That happened to me on our first cruise which was in January. I didn't really think about needing warm weather supplies for our cruise to the caribbean until it was too late. To make things worse, our children had outgrown their summer sandals and there was not one store around us that had sandals for sale because it was winter. :eek: Now, when we cruise in the winter months, I always buy a pair of sandals one size too large for each kid. Right now is a good time to buy sandals because most of them are on sale, and so are the swimsuits and suntan lotion.

If you can think of anything else to add to the list of summer time items that might be needed for a cruise, feel free to add to the list, I always seem to forget something.:rolleyes:

We were just talking about this on another thread. I hope my daughter doesn't grow out of all these summery shirts hanging in her closest. Last winter when winter stuff was on clearance, I bought woolly gloves, hats, scarves, etc. in anticipation of our Alaskan cruise as I knew we would have a hard time finding this stuff. Turned out it wasn't that cold -- more the 60s and rainy (except for the Tracy Arm Strait cruising which was at 7 am so we got use out of our winter coats).

Two years ago, we discovered in December that our daughter's coat was too small (sometimes we don't get cold weather until November and December). I had a hard time finding a store that still was stocking winter type of coats. Finally found one coat in her size at Old Navy.

It was a good thing I checked this last winter beforehand. Some mornings in October thru November were in the 20s with a wind chill factor going at 8am when she and her schoolmates would stand in line on the playground waiting to go into class. (we live in the foothills of LA but it can get that cold -- it just rarely snows).

We're doing a HI cruise in November - I've been picking up "aloha" shirts on clearance (75% and more off of the regular price). We got my DD two new swimming suit in Late June (when you could still find them) one size larger than her summer suits. At the "cornstalk" age, the clothes that fit this summer are getting a bit clingy and by Thanksgiving they will be a full size too small!

One more item to not forget is something for sunburn relief. You don't want it to happen, but more often than we like, it does happen.:( Be prepared! I like to buy the aloe vera sunburn relief gel that has pain reliever in it. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a green colored gel. Aloe Vera is great, but aloe vera with pain reliever added is amazing! Especially if it's refrigerated!:) There's nothing more soothing than cold aloe vera gel with a pain reliever in it. They're starting to mark that stuff down at Wal-Mart. I'm watching and waiting for the price to come down just a little bit more.

Arubalisa, thanks for the website info. I don't buy things over the internet much because of the price of shipping. I'll find something at a bargain price, but by the time I factor in the cost of shipping and handling it's not a bargain anymore. But if I need something last minute, those websites will be the first places I check. It's nice to know about those types of places just in case. In the mean time, I'm going through my list of things I need for the cruise and keeping an eye on the clearance prices.;)

One item not to worry about trying to find is sunscreen. You can find it all year round.:)

and pay dearly for it in February when its needed. Last year cruised for the first time in February--didnt give attentiontot he small details like sunscreen and had a very hard time finding any. the small amount that I did find was very expensive. This year--I amhitting the clearance racks.

I guess it depends on where you live. When it's not rainy or completely overcast here, we are still told to wear sunscreen even in winter (where I live, it can get down to the 20s and 30s at night but not enuf moisture for snow). So there's at least some sunscreen on the shelves in stores.

Great advise..this is when I stock up on cruise stuff and save $$$!. Underwater disposable cameras on clearance...clothes, sandals, etc...

Also, if you are going on a winter cruise..and live in the north where everything is packed away...consider packing what is going on the cruise now before you put your summer stuff away. Then...just slide the suitcase unser the bed till its time to go and pack the last minute.

Last January, I paid a ton of money for a pair of shorts for DH as he had grown a bit...

Get them now.

Oh, by the way, I heard suncrean ages and may not be as effective.

Happy cruising.. KAryn

Oh, by the way, I heard suncrean ages and may not be as effective.

Happy cruising.. KAryn

I have heard this too. That is why I'm only buying sunscreen for my December cruise and will wait until my March cruise. I frequently can find sunscreen year round at tanning places around town.

I heard sunscreen is good for only one year. I wonder if that's from date opened or from shelf date (some brands, such as Banana, do not print an "use by" date,

The other day, we finally went shoe shopping for school (that starts in two days). Had to go to three different stores to find sneakers with velcro instead of laces in our girl's size.

This from one of my parenting magazines this past spring, do not ask which one, I can barely rememeber to brush my teeth most days. Sunscreen does lose a tiny bit of it's SPF from year to year but only 1 point of protection. So if you bought an SPF 30 last summer it's a 29 this summer, not enough to make a real difference. You can use it for two years then discard it.

Sunscreen is available year round, but around here it's pretty expensive. When winter comes there's less of a selection and the price is even higher. Most good sunscreens with an SPF of 20 or higher that's waterproof runs around $8.00 - $ 15.00 depending on which brand you buy. Right now where I live I can get some of these expensive $8.00 - $15.00 sunscreens for $3.00 - $8.00. That's a huge savings, and I do it every summer in preparation for our fall cruise.;)

Thanks for the reminder about waterproof cameras, you don't see them much around wintertime and it's something I'll definitely use on our cruise while on the beach. We don't want sand or water in our nice digital camera.:)

If you have anymore ideas on things to buy now on clearance let me know as I am stocking up on clearance items.

I went to a Rite Aide drugstore this morning and walked around, looking to see if they had a portable fan (it's hormonal) to replace one that just broke. Couldn't find any of those but found the "Dollar Days" bins. If you looking for little items (clothespins, etc.) sometimes they can be found in DD bins or in the "trial" aisle. I found a little hamper for $2 that is often mentioned as a handy item to take.

I love those pop up hampers that are as thin as a piece of cardboard when folded flat. They lay right on top of your clothes in the suitcase and don't take up any room. ;) Mine sits in the corner of the cabin so everyone knows where to put their dirty clothes. It keeps the cabin tidy and when I go do a quick load of laundry, the handles to carry it and side pouch for detergent comes in real handy. I also like the cheap plastic over the door shoe organizers. It's a great place to put all of those little items that clutter up the small cabin. You can find those things at Dollar Tree for just a dollar and they fold up pretty small too.:) If you're looking at buying one, try to get one with see thru plastic so everything is right there where you can see it.

I looked at Wal-Mart for disposable waterproof cameras on clearance and none of them were marked down. I asked the woman who worked in that section when they would be marked down and she said they don't usually go on clearance. She also said that Wal-Mart sells them year round. So I guess we don't have to worry about not finding waterproof disposable cameras in the fall.:)

I have been looking and looking for an end of summer beach bag that is cheap and amazing. I had found cheap and amazing but the two never managed to make it into the same bag. I was walking by my local Hallmark store last night and Voila! Amazing was 70% off. I love it and will use it forever.

I bought 2 boogie boards for $2.50 each. They are regularly $10-12. About 2 weeks earlier I picked up 2 when they were marked down to $5. Can't complain about getting 4 boards for $15. Now I guess I'll have to book a winter vacation.

Archived