Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

DW and I enjoy Chops.

I noticed the OP posted this question in February and sailed in April.

You might enjoy my wife's cruise slide shows in the Travel section of her website Nancy's Oasis

2013 Christmas Cruise RCI Adventure of the Seas So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Cruise RCI Mariner of the Seas W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 RCI Radiance of the Seas ~ Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Cruise RCI Mariner of the Seas W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Thanks Upsell Fairy ~ Anniversary in 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, and Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess New England/Canada Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John NS, Halifax NS
2009 Star Princess Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Cruise Carnival Ecstasy Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Definately worth it.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAOk1945 View Post
DW and I enjoy Chops.

I noticed the OP posted this question in February and sailed in April.

Your right. It would be nice if the OP Tammy came back and gave us her feedback now that it is said and done.

Last edited by CruisesOnMyMind; August 3rd, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chops, maybe

I tried Chops on Enchantment in June. I ordered a Medium Rare Filet. It came more medium well. I was miffed when the waiter suggest I look at it under the light that it really is Medium Rare. It was so dry. They cooked me a new one but it came mooing. They put it back on for a few minutes and it was really good. It was an okay experience, will think about going again. Oh and they brought us free champagne for our trouble. Right outside the door was the captains reception! Don't think it was anything special, just snagged a few off the tray before they sent them out to the captains party. We will try it again, maybe on another ship. I have had over cooked Chops filet in the MDR on Enchantment too. I had an amazing Chops filet in the MDR on Freedom.
06-24-2013 Enchantment of the Seas
03-23-2014 Independence of the Seas

Old August 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think Chops is worth it. DH thinks it's boring, takes way too long, and the food isn't that good. Last cruise he said he was done with Chops. Surprise! We're dining at Chops on Oasis as a gift, so he'll have to grin and bear it.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

kind of confused and not the first time so I will ask.....

cruising next week and already signed up for MTD for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children ages 18, 13, 12)...so as I understand it our meal tips are already pre-paid....if we do eat at Chops I will be paying $30.00 per person (5 x $30.00 = $150.00)....does MTD tips cover the tip for eating in Chops ?....if so and service was exceptional I would still tip additional.

if not what tip $$$ would be expected/suffice for our dinner party of 5....(what $$$ amount would I base the tip on ~ the $150.00 or an estimated total dollar amount of what is actually ordered) ?

thanks I appreciate any expert CC feedback......

Old August 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the food in the MDR. Chops is worth the extra money.

Old August 4th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We had CHOPS for the first time during our Legend of the Seas Cruise, March 2013 Borneo.

We enjoyed it. The Red Velvet cake was awesome.

We would do it again.
Holland America - 1

Upcoming cruises
NCL Jade - Dec 2014

Feel free to contact me @ iluvcruisingsingapore@gmail.com

My Food and Travel Blog (including cruise)
http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/

More cruise pictures @
https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeCruising

Old August 4th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004corvette View Post
kind of confused and not the first time so I will ask.....

cruising next week and already signed up for MTD for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children ages 18, 13, 12)...so as I understand it our meal tips are already pre-paid....if we do eat at Chops I will be paying $30.00 per person (5 x $30.00 = $150.00)....does MTD tips cover the tip for eating in Chops ?....if so and service was exceptional I would still tip additional.

if not what tip $$$ would be expected/suffice for our dinner party of 5....(what $$$ amount would I base the tip on ~ the $150.00 or an estimated total dollar amount of what is actually ordered) ?

thanks I appreciate any expert CC feedback......
Your $30 per person fee includes gratuity, so no need to tip extra. Of course, if you thought the service was exceptional, you could at your discretion. The tips from MTD are completely separate and should be considered a sunk cost, you do not get credit back should you choose not to eat in the main dining room.

I think $30 for a good steak, sides, appetizers, and dessert is worth the money. No decent steakhouse in your hometown will give you that kind of value.

Old August 4th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, without hesitation!

Old August 4th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
........ the celebration special that included a thirty dollar credit for drinks. ........
Hi, Can someone please explain the celebration special.

Thanks

I love Chops.

Raina
Sailed *Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, July 2010, *Navigator of the Seas Eastern Europe. July 2011. *Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand Dec 2011. *Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand Jan 2012. *Radiance of the Seas - Cruise to Nowhere Nov 2012. *Moli - Zambizi River, Chobe National Park, Namibia. *Radiance of the Seas - South Pacific Dec 2012. *Radiance of the Seas - Honolulu to Sydney Sept 2013. *Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Perth 24th Oct 2013. *Radiance of the Seas - Perth to Sydney Nov 2013- . *Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scan Russia July 2014.
Upcoming cruises-
- 12 September 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii
- 22 September 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - Trans Pacific
- 3 May 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - Asia and India
- 17 May 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - Suez Canal
- 10th Nov 2015 - Legend of the Seas - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia
- 20th Nov 2015 - Legend of the Seas - Hong Kong to Brisbane
"WELL, THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY"

I don't have a bucket list! A bucket is much too small. I have a '44 Gallon Drum List!'

BLOGS -
http://rainaandsarahineurope.blogspot.com.au/ Eastern Med on Navigator
http://rainaandsarahinafrica.blogspo...frica-for.html Southern Africa
http://rainaandsarahsouthpacificcruise.blogspot.com.au/ South Pacific on Radiance
http://rainastahititrip.blogspot.com.au/p/before-hand.html TransPacific on Radiance.
http://therussiantrip.blogspot.com.au/p/the-start.html Legend - 14 night Ultimate Russia and Scandinavia.

Old August 4th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

on JOS
My experience in Chops was horrible.
A veal that could have been used to resole my shoes.
Some kind of brown goopy sauce on it.

Place isn't worth it in my opinion

Gramps

Old August 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Specialty restaurants

It's a no brainer. We go twice to Chops and twice to Portofino's on RCI ships where you just have the two. On the Allure we go to the specialty restaurants and never make the MDR.

Old August 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not worth it in my opinion. Yes it is better than the average MDR food, but not on the same level as a good steak house on land.

Old August 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieVisi2r View Post
Hi, Can someone please explain the celebration special.
The Celebration Dining Deal allows you to book a specialty restaurant for four or more people on either Day 1 or Day 2 and get a free $30 credit for beverages. It's available to book online through the Pre-Cruise Planner.

We had a group of 14 dine at Chops on Freedom last October, so we booked three of these deals to maximize our free wine credit.

Previous Cruises (links below to go live threads I started for those cruises)

Celebrity Century, 10/98; Viking Serenade, 1/00; Grand Princess, 8/01; Carnival Elation, 7/02; Carnival Elation, 7/03; Liberty of the Seas, 8/07; Adventure of the Seas, 8/08; Oasis of the Seas, 8/10; Majesty of the Seas, 1/11; Allure of the Seas, 8/11; Freedom of the Seas, 3/12; Majesty of the Seas, 7/12; Freedom of the Seas, 10/12; Monarch of the Seas, 10/12; Independence of the Seas, 3/13; Allure of the Seas, 8/13; Independence of the Seas, 3/14

Old August 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeachcomber View Post
Your $30 per person fee includes gratuity, so no need to tip extra. Of course, if you thought the service was exceptional, you could at your discretion. The tips from MTD are completely separate and should be considered a sunk cost, you do not get credit back should you choose not to eat in the main dining room.

I think $30 for a good steak, sides, appetizers, and dessert is worth the money. No decent steakhouse in your hometown will give you that kind of value.
thank you labeachcomber....appreciate the detailed explanation....I asked 3 different RCL phone CSR's and none could give me the answer...again CC members know the answers.....

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been a handful of times. I always order a filet mignon. Most of the time, it's delicious, but the last couple of times the steak had no flavor. I don't like having to rely on sauces for flavor to my steaks!

Vision OTS- December 20, 2014 (Caribbean)
Vision OTS- December 27, 2014 (Caribbean)
Brilliance OTS- September 18, 2015 (Caribbean)
Past Cruise History:
Sovereign OTS- June 4, 2004 (Bahamas)
Explorer OTS- December 12, 2004 (Eastern Caribbean)
Serenade OTS- November 26, 2005 (Southern Caribbean)
Mariner OTS- August 19, 2007 (Eastern Caribbean)
Serenade OTS- December 8, 2007 (Southern Caribbean)
Sovereign OTS- May 9, 2008 (Bahamas)
Mariner OTS- May 24, 2009 (Pacific Coastal)
Enchantment OTS- August 22, 2009 (Western Caribbean)
Radiance OTS- April 23, 2010 (Mexican Riviera)
Grandeur OTS- September 30, 2010 (Western Caribbean)
Explorer OTS- October 14, 2010 (Canada & New England)
Navigator OTS- April 14, 2011 (Western Caribbean)
Freedom OTS- September 11, 2011 (Eastern Caribbean)
Oasis OTS- November 26, 2011 (Western Caribbean)
Allure OTS- December 4, 2011 (Western Caribbean)
Rhapsody OTS- August 31, 2012 (Alaska)
Navigator OTS- December 1, 2012 (Western Caribbean)
Navigator OTS- December 8, 2012 (Western Caribbean)
Enchantment OTS- May 27, 2013 (Bahamas)
Enchantment OTS- May 31, 2013 (Bahamas)
Grandeur OTS- December 14, 2013 (Caribbean)
Brilliance OTS- April 3, 2014 (Western Caribbean)
Rhapsody OTS- June 27, 2014 (Alaska)

Old August 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogue View Post
We will be on FOS in April and I would like to try to Chops. With all the "free" food I'm hesitant to spend another $30.00/pp for dinner. Please tell me "Is it Worth" the extra expense? Also, my DD age 14 will be with us, when I go to make reservations it allows me to book her as well - I would have thought this was an "adult" only dining experience? Am I correct that she will be allowed to dine with us?

Thanks,
Tammy

We went to Chops on our wedding night with our 10 sailing guests, and it was the best meal we had for the entire 12 nights.
Each time I ordered steak in the MDR it wasn't cooked enough (I'm a well done girl). In Chops it was cooked to perfection!! My new husband and I had the filet mignon, and they 'butterflied' mine to ensure it was cooked thoroughly. It was beautiful!!

The brought out 2 of each side/accompaniment so we didn't have to order any of them.

Although we had purchased a wedding cake onboard, we had technically paid for starter, main and dessert so all of us ordered dessert too!! They were amazing- biggest slice of red velvet cake I've ever seen!

John, the cruise director came past to wish us well and bought us a round of drinks and coffees too which was a lovely touch!!

Book it and enjoy xxx

Old August 5th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Personally, I feel like the quality of Chops has gone downhill. On my last cruise, multiple tables had to send back meat that was overcooked - ours was one of them. Somehow, I would think that the chef in Chops should know the difference between medium rare and well done.

We usually get the filet, but in the past couple of years, I noticed that the filets are coming out completely dry - almost like they were pre-cooked and all the juice ran out - and now they were just reheating them. Maybe it has something to do with the way they are defrosted. I don't know. They're just not as good as they used to be.

They also seem to have cut back on staff a little, so the service is not quite what it used to be. The worst is on Oasis and Allure where they seem to consistently overbook, and the service and food suffer tremendously. Those ships are the only times that I've had an unpleasant experience in Chops.

Yes, it is better than the main dining room. I just find myself questioning the $30. I strongly prefer Portofino or Giovanni's Table over Chops when they're available and they're only $20. (And you can get the same filet there and it's usually better.)

So, yes I'm still going. But only with the BOGO coupon or if my travel agent has paid for it.

Last edited by NYCrews; August 5th, 2013 at 10:14 PM.