Chair Hogs: Norwegian's Blue Dots

Hi all,

I'm writing a blog post for next week about what cruise lines are doing to combat chair-hogging onboard. One line of particular note is Norwegian, which has reportedly been using blue dots to track how long chairs are left unattended.

To all of you Norwegian cruisers out there, I need your help: Have you noticed this happening, and is the system working?

Thanks for your thoughts. (You may just see them included in the blog!)

Hi all,

I'm writing a blog post for next week about what cruise lines are doing to combat chair-hogging onboard. One line of particular note is Norwegian, which has reportedly been using blue dots to track how long chairs are left unattended.

To all of you Norwegian cruisers out there, I need your help: Have you noticed this happening, and is the system working?

I've only seen one trip report that mentioned the blue dots.

I hope that cruise wasn't a one hit wonder.

I'm a big fan of the blue dot.

I think this is relatively new. If you click on MY blue dot you can hit the original post on the issue. There was another post recently where they described the use of yellow dots on a different ship for the same purpose. You might search for "yellow dot" for that post

Someone on another board mentioned that NCL was piloting the blue dots on the Star to see how it goes over. In my cynical view, I think there will be more people complaining about the policy than cheering for it and NCL will probably get rid of it. After all, look at all the other cruise lines - who is actually enforcing any kind of chair hog policy? None of them, because it upsets the chair-hogging guests.

According to NCLs facebook fan page a week or so ago, they are trying different methods to see what works best. They realize this is a problem and are trying to find the best solution.

I can not remember if they mentioned any of their other methods. Just remember that someone asked about it and NCL responded.

Im not one for sitting by the pool or sunbathing, so it does not bother me, but I think it is a good idea for those that do appreciate the pool area.

We were on The Jade last month and they were tagging chairs. It was very effective, although people still ran up first thing in the morning and tried to claim their chairs. They were some angry when they came back hours ( as many as four hours later) and found their spots gone along with their stuff.

They had a couple of crew members who went and put orange tags on the chairs. They marked the time they put them on and it said if the chair was not in use 30 minutes later it would be freed up. They were very good at following the time line. It was also a great way to get a chair because you just had to follow the tagging guy and take a chair when he cleared the stuff away. They put towels back at the exchange and personal items were taken to the reception desk and you could claim them from there.

I hope this is something they keep with. It is very frustrating to those who play fair to not be able to go sit in the sun and enjoy your book and a drink for a bit!

I still wish they would provide a locker or cubby for shoes and a cover-up if you just want to take a quick swim or watch the kids swim. (It would also be a great place to store those items left at 6AM until their owners return)

Hi all,

I too would be interested in finding out once and for all if chair hogging is a bigger issue on NCL than other lines. I think it is, but can't support the claim. Looking forward to reading your blog.

Chair hogging is an issue everywhere...not just on ships! At resorts, it's a real pain!

They should have someone posted on the pool deck, and when they see someone setting up shop and then leaving, they should stop the person, reiterate the rules, and have the person take their things with them! Easy!

Just getting out of your seat to do "pool things" is NOT "chair hogging"...it's what you do at a pool!

Chair hogging is an issue everywhere...not just on ships! At resorts, it's a real pain!

They should have someone posted on the pool deck, and when they see someone setting up shop and then leaving, they should stop the person, reiterate the rules, and have the person take their things with them! Easy!

Just getting out of your seat to do "pool things" is NOT "chair hogging"...it's what you do at a pool!

I agree but if you are in the pool, or just grabbing a drink at the pool bar or a snack at the buffet, you just have to check your chair and remove the dot before your 30 minutes expire.

It is a great compromise, it permits to everyone to enjoy the pool when they want because a towel doesn't enjoy the poll on its own :D

But that person might be leaving only for a bathroom break; leaving the pool area for 30 minutes is fine with me, more than that I call it chair hugging and isn't fair to other people who would like to enjoy that chair.

But that person might be leaving only for a bathroom break; leaving the pool area for 30 minutes is fine with me, more than that I call it chair hugging and isn't fair to other people who would like to enjoy that chair.

You are very right but in cb's defence they did say "reiterate the rules" which would just mean the person could say "oh I'll be back shortly".

You are very right but in cb's defence they did say "reiterate the rules" which would just mean the person could say "oh I'll be back shortly".

I think they'd have most success doing this from 6-8am when nobody is REALLY going to sit by the pool, but is just grabbing space. If they walk away at 1pm after being in the sun for an hour, this kind of screening will be unnecessary for the most part.

Just got off the Gem, no blue dot policy in place. On the last day at sea, if you didn't claim a lounge chair by 6:45am you were out of luck (unless you were willing to sit upstairs). Unlike most passengers, I grabbed a book and stayed with my chairs.

I think they'd have most success doing this from 6-8am when nobody is REALLY going to sit by the pool, but is just grabbing space. If they walk away at 1pm after being in the sun for an hour, this kind of screening will be unnecessary for the most part.

Well I really wasn't for or against what the poster said, was just making an observation. But I think the blue dot is far less confrontational than the suggested being stopped IMO, so I think it is a far better idea.

I must be a nobody :D because thats usually when we pull up a lounge is early in the morning. Then around 12 - 12:30 when the pool area gets busy we leave. If it isn't too cool uptop, we will go up on the higher decks instead so we can watch the ocean. We've seen a few towels sunbathing at that time, but really not as many as some people have witnessed (by what is said on these boards).

I hear so many people criticize NCL, but NCL has really been an innovator in cruising with many of the things they do. They were the first with Freestyle Dining and even with other cruise lines saying it will never happen on their lines - they are all doing it now.

They started with relaxing dress codes.

Now the blue dot. I sincerely hope they implement this on all their ships - there will be more people cheering than jeering. And sooner or later, when other lines find out customers like the policy - they'll follow suit.

Keep up the innovations, NCL!

Thanks for all of your comments -- keep 'em coming. I'm really curious to see how it pans out. I've been reading through the original blue dot thread, and it's an interesting concept, for sure.

Apparently Carnival has also been toying with some methods of stopping chair-hogging, but they're not telling us anything just yet.

I'll bop back over here and post a link to the blog once it's up.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Ashley and fellow CC posters - How do I add the blue dot to my signature?

Thanks!

I think what I did was put my cursor on the dot and then right click. Hit properties and then copy the URL that is listed into your personal signature

Hi all,

I posted my epic yellow dot story in another "blue dot thread" I included pictures of the crew member tagging chairs. I've posted the story twice now in separate threads.

I spent an entire day sun up to sun down on the upper deck pool deck of the epic in February. I only saw them dotting chairs around 7:30 am and only saw the policy enforced 1 time. Mostly because they were dotting the backs of the chairs so passengers didn't know it was happening.

yellow dot guy

232323232%7Ffp73458%3Enu%3D32%3B3%3E858%3E%3A%3A3%3EWSNRCG%3D383%3B%3A2%3C%3B54337nu0mrj

Someone on another board mentioned that NCL was piloting the blue dots on the Star to see how it goes over. In my cynical view, I think there will be more people complaining about the policy than cheering for it and NCL will probably get rid of it. After all, look at all the other cruise lines - who is actually enforcing any kind of chair hog policy? None of them, because it upsets the chair-hogging guests.

Royal Caribbean has been doing well combating chair hogs for years. If NCL sticks to their guns, they can make it work.

Archived