Interesting ad

DisneyJen

I was reading the June edition of Conde Nast Traveler and was :eek: to see a right-hand sided, full page, doube-sided ad in the front section for Sea Dream and the South American itinerary.

I have worked in marketing and publishing for a long time and I can assure that was an EXTREMELY expensive placement. Thought that is was very interesting as this is the first time I have EVER seen an ad for SD.

Looks like the photo shoot for the ad was from the Sand Box in Virgin Gorda ... but I could be mistaken.

DJ,

Is the ad in your magazine specically directed to the SA itineraries? Mine just says "Mediterranean, Caribbean and South American Yachting Voyages. I wonder if they have different versions for different markets.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner ...

The ad was specifically targeting the SA sailings ... of course the magazine is in the recycle pile in the garage so I can't double check the other info.

I wonder if they "zoned" the ad ... we receive the magazine in the mail ... when I am running errands this week I will try to check the news stands.

Hope you don't mind my input as I usually stick to the SB board, but ...

I think you're both right:o . Sea Dream has ads on two pages of the June issue. Page 25 has an ad for Sea Dream in general (Med, Carib, and S America) with a beautiful photo of champagne on the beach in Virgin Gorda, and Page 26 has an ad specific to South America (9-night cruise including an excursion to Iguassu Falls) with several images of Brazil.

johnny

You are always welcome here johnnycruise:D

Thanks for shedding some light on the situation ... I was so taken with the photo on page 25 (I want to be there NOW!!!) and then the text on page 26:p

Interesting vandrefalk ... I am not familiar with Porthole Magazine (although maybe I should be:D )

Looks like SD has increased their ad budget and are going with a traditional print ad campaign.

Hi DJ:

IMHO Porthole mag is mostly ads. Used to subscribe but now find Cruise Travel more interesting. Wish there was a cruise mag with the size and gloss of Porthole and the ship stuff from Cruise travel. Maybe CCers should start one?

Jim.

Thanks for the info Jim!

I agree that there isn't a great or even good publication out there for those of us who have the cruising bug.

Thank goodness we have these boards:D

I tend to agree with you, Jim. However, Porthole does have some good articles now and then -- and I've noticed that some of them (particularly the "he said, she said" series) actually mentions SD! Cruise Travel doesn't seem to know SD exists -- as evidence by their annual lists of embarkation ports, etc -- SD is never listed :confused: However, I love their articles on cruise history -- even the sad ones, such as the location in India where ships go to be broken up (like the Norway).

Two bad those seem to be the only magazines for us cruise junkies!

Vandrefalk

Archived