Brooklyn Early Check-In/Embarkation

ctpaddler2000

Cunard has me scheduled for check-in between 3:30 and 3:45. So much for lunch on board. What happens if I just show up at Red Hook around noon? Will they fit me in or make me wait until 3:30.

I am driving in from Hartford, CT so I want to make sure I get a parking spot and have extra time in case of an unforeseen delay.

Robert

Cunard has me scheduled for check-in between 3:30 and 3:45. So much for lunch on board. What happens if I just show up at Red Hook around noon? Will they fit me in or make me wait until 3:30.

I am driving in from Hartford, CT so I want to make sure I get a parking spot and have extra time in case of an unforeseen delay.

Robert

Hi neighbor,

Each time I have boarded the QM2 I have gone to the cruise terminal around 12 or a little after and I have always gone right in as soon as I got there. I think that I was suppose to board at 2:30. It is quick and easy.

Have a wonderful voyage.

Gail:)

Cunard gives staggered boarding times so that there will be no mad rush. I've never tried to board that early but others report that everyone who shows up will be checked in regardless of their printed boarding time.

The ship will be available for boarding about Noon, assuming she docks at 6:30AM and has not been delayed. .

Robert

Hi ctpaddler. The parking lot in Red Hook is huge. No worries about finding a parking spot, whatever time you arrive. Based on my experience, if you plan to arrive between 2pm and 3:30pm, you will have smooth driving and easy check in. Being Platinum World Club members, we have priority boarding, but as a matter of personal choice, we drive to the port and usually arrive around 2pm or 3pm. Never had a problem with traffic, parking or check-in, and our luggage is delivered soon after we arrive at our cabin. Can't comment on lunch at Kings Court on embarkation day since I've never had that experience.

Hope you have a wonderful voyage! Regards, -S.

Just to add that by arriving at the pier later in the afternoon, you will have ample time to off-load your tagged luggage to a porter directly in front of the terminal, and then drive across to the parking lot and walk back to the terminal. (Earlier in the morning, the scene can be rather congested with so many planning on arriving asap.) You will need to get a time-stampted ticket for the parking lot, which you pay for before exiting the terminal at the end of your voyage.

Robert

IMHO if you can, make it early. It gives you the entire afternoon to get to know the ship, have lunch, unpack and then generally enjoy the ship. It is one of my favorite times of a cruise. :)

Although I preferred sailing from Manhattan for many reasons, boarding was not always smooth. The first few times I sailed on QE2 and QM2 I did not have priority boarding and the lines/queues could be quite overwhelming. There were some very long waits to check in and board.

I think they've improved the boarding process now. I've found it to be very quick, although priority boarding helps of course.

There also used to be long waits to disembark quite often, sometimes hours, and I have not experienced that during my last few journeys (except for one time when the Southampton gangway malfunctioned/collapsed, with no one on it thankfully).

Just to add that by arriving at the pier later in the afternoon, you will have ample time to off-load your tagged luggage to a porter directly in front of the terminal, and then drive across to the parking lot and walk back to the terminal. (Earlier in the morning, the scene can be rather congested with so many planning on arriving asap.) You will need to get a time-stampted ticket for the parking lot, which you pay for before exiting the terminal at the end of your voyage.

I just want to be clear that even if we arrive early, we can off load our tagged luggage with the porter before parking our car. Do you know what time they start accepting the luggage? Many thanks!

OldBear -

Thanks. You have confirmed the wisdom of leaving the car home, and taking the train to NYC.

That is what we always do from Connecticut. The most difficult and only slightly unpleasand part is when you arrive at Grand Central Station and must get outside with all that luggage in order to get a cab. They don't seem to have red caps any longer with the advent of the wheels. And wheels are fine enough if you don't have five large suit cases, then it gets slightly bulky. But as you pull all those wheels behind you just think about all that money you saved and it will make it a little less taxing. :)

I just want to be clear that even if we arrive early, we can off load our tagged luggage with the porter before parking our car. Do you know what time they start accepting the luggage? Many thanks!

Hi twinstars. I've never arrived early, but I have disembarked QM2 at the Red Hook pier eight times (once at the Manhattan pier and once in Florida). A couple of times disembarkation was delayed in Redhook, and passengers were arriving early as others were departing late which kept the porters and the traffic cops pretty busy as you can imagine. I saw lots of luggage piled high on trolley's, but I don't know if it was being loaded or off-loaded :) But most often, disembarking passengers have cleared the terminal and the lot by 11am.

No doubt others with experience of arriving early will be along to answer your questions with more detailed information. Happy sails, -S

Hi twinstars. I've never arrived early, but I have disembarked QM2 at the Red Hook pier eight times (once at the Manhattan pier and once in Florida). A couple of times disembarkation was delayed in Redhook, and passengers were arriving early as others were departing late which kept the porters and the traffic cops pretty busy as you can imagine. I saw lots of luggage piled high on trolley's, but I don't know if it was being loaded or off-loaded :) But most often, disembarking passengers have cleared the terminal and the lot by 11am.

No doubt others with experience of arriving early will be along to answer your questions with more detailed information. Happy sails, -S

Thanks for replying, Salacia.

That is what we always do from Connecticut. The most difficult and only slightly unpleasand part is when you arrive at Grand Central Station and must get outside with all that luggage in order to get a cab. They don't seem to have red caps any longer with the advent of the wheels. And wheels are fine enough if you don't have five large suit cases, then it gets slightly bulky. But as you pull all those wheels behind you just think about all that money you saved and it will make it a little less taxing. :)

To RealPM, How much did you pay for a taxi from Grand Central to Red Hook?

To RealPM, How much did you pay for a taxi from Grand Central to Red Hook?

If I remember it was about $25.00, but don't hold me to it-- I am bad with numbers. Also we always have someone drive us to New Haven and get the train there. It is very cheap. i don't think it is more than $12.00 which when you think of the alternative is not easy to turn down. I think it is worth it. You might consider it! :)

$25 is about right.

Just make sure you go over the Brooklyn Bridge vs the Battery Tunnel.

There is an additional charge for the tunnel.

Right you are! But just to mention that a cabbie might recommend the Tunnel rather than the Bridge if there are traffic delays on the Bridge. Or if you are going from the West Side to Redhook, the Tunnel is quicker. Taxi meters run not just on miles but also minutes. Best to print out directions to the Redhook pier for anyone driving there, but I would tell the cab driver my destination before getting into the cab, and if he or she had any problems with it, I would not aruge, but rather wait for a driver who knew how to get me where I wanted to go.(Or better yet, I'd arrange for a car service since there is not much difference in price.) Just my personal choice, but under no conditions would I take an unmetered cab, or unregistered car service (often referred to as a "Gypsy Cab")

... Just my personal choice, but under no conditions would I take an unmetered cab, or unregistered car service (often referred to as a "Gypsy Cab")

Exactly. At Grand Central use only a licensed taxi or car service, pay only the driver, and pay only upon reaching your destination.

Thanks for the thread. We have the same boarding time and like you are driving into NYC yet from Baltimore/Washington corridor instead. It takes 3-4 hours. Longer with traffic. No way can I plan on doing the assigned time of 3-345. Carpooling with another couple from our town and will split parking fee;). How long will it take you from CT?

I've lived in Manhattan all my life--you no fears of getting a "gypsy cab" lol they don't exist. Either hail a yellow cab or call (212) 666-6666 for a TLC (Taxi & Limo Comission) car to pick you up.

Hi MisterCat. I've lived in NY all my life too.. Just last week I was hailing a cab on Fifth & 59th. A sedan pulled up and the driver asked me where I wanted to go; that has happened many, many times. Every New Yorker that I know has had similiar experiences. Some take the car, others (like me) do not. I think we are in agreement that hailing a metered taxi (and not all are yellow by the way - there's new "green cabs"), or calling for a car service is advisable. Regards, -S.

P.S. For those that might not be familiar with the term, "gypsy Cabs" is a unfortunate colloquialism. Nothing to do with the Romani people, but the term is well known and often used in NYC.

What please is the difference between a 'livery' cab and the ordinary 'hackney' cab?

SS

In New York, only the yellow medallion cabs ['hackney' cabs] are authorized to respond to an on street hail. [at least on Manhattan island].

A substantial part of the taxi fleet are now Ford Escape SUV's - they probably will have larger luggage capacity than some of the other choices.

Livery car service [also know as 'black car service' or 'town car service'] can only pick up passengers when dispatched after a phone call or reservation. There are some recommendations oven in the East Coast Departures forum - just do a search there for 'car service'

Archived