Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising > River Cruise Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default looking to share transport to Lake Geneva from Basel for May 16

We are also on the Amsterdam to Basel cruise for next May 9-16.
We were going to do the ship extension, but realized for about $300 total more, I could secure Lakeview Deluxe rooms with balcony, instead of the standard city views most likely provided by the hotel (Fairmont Palace).Info about this came from Viking and the hotel. I decided since this was a special anniversary (45years) I wanted to end this special vacation with a beautiful room and balcony overlooking the lake and Alps.
Only problem is to do this we lose the tour of Geneva and Lausanne and transport from Basel to hotel.
Tours, not an issue. Train station is five minutes from the hotel, I love Swiss trains, and we would just as soon visit on our own for a day trip.
HOWEVER, I just got a quote from a car service that it would be $1200 to get to Lake Geneva from Basel!
The van holds 8 people, so if anyone going on this cruise would like to share a van with us, we could save a lot of money, splitting the cost. I am going to continue searching , hoping there are better prices out there.
If I can get this cost down, it will be well worth it, to get a gorgeous lakeview room instead of a standard city room for our three nights in Montreux.
I am going to continue my search for a less expensive company.
If anyone can recommend someone, or if they are interested in sharing a ride from Basel to the hotel, please let me know.
(My husband and I are both 66, so doing the trains with all of our luggage is pretty much out of the question).
Thanks!
Robin

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

Next Cruise
Viking Gullveig May 9, 2014
Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel
Our First River Cruise!

2o12 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic/Italy Cruise
2009 Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean Cruise
1999 Seabourn Legend Mediterranean Cruise
Too many RCL Caribbean cruises to remember--we live in South Florida!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Robin:

You may wish to consider renting a car in Basel and driving to Geneva. It is a reasonable,beautiful, easy drive. To rent the car, I took to tram to the train station and Hertz was across the street. You may wish to take a taxi to the Hertz office.

Ken

Old July 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default latest quote....transfer to Lake Geneva Fairmont

Our latest quote from Viking was approximately $330 for a taxi...still pretty high but getting better. I would still prefer to take a taxi or get driver.
The hassle of getting to the car rental, renting a car, figuring our where we are going, and then returning the car and getting to the hotel from there, sounds like an awful lot of work for a 2 hour ride. And then we have car rental costs, taxi to car rental,one way drop-off at another point, taxi from car rental to hotel...

We have rented cars all over Europe on past trips for two or three week driving trips. It is of course worth it for any longer length of time...but for a 2 hour drive it could be a big pain. Last year after driving over parts of France, we had the GPS get us back to Hertz...it was messed up due to a detour(have learned to dread the word deviation!) and the entrance into Hertz was under a horrible construction nightmare and it took forever to get it returned.
Just want to not have to pay an arm and a leg or go through that kind of a hassle just for a 2 hour drive...
May consider a train, but don't know if we can still manage the trains with 2 weeks worth of luggage. We used to do it quite frequently but we were considerable younger.

That all being said, anyone who might be looking to share a ride to Montreux Fairmont Hotel from Basel drop off after cruise, May 16th, please let me know.
All this just to assure a lakeview deluxe room for the after cruise extension.
I just wish Viking would offer an optional upcharge for a higher class of room
for this package like they offer an upgrade to different hotels on other extensions and then I could just go with the ships transfer and day trips.
I have contacted them, but have not heard back.

Robin

When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller

Next Cruise
Viking Gullveig May 9, 2014
Rhine Getaway Amsterdam to Basel
Our First River Cruise!

2o12 Celebrity Silhouette Adriatic/Italy Cruise
2009 Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean Cruise
1999 Seabourn Legend Mediterranean Cruise
Too many RCL Caribbean cruises to remember--we live in South Florida!