Main dining room dress code: dark jeans and sneakers?

DH and me are headed on the Independence of the Seas to the Caribbean and Southampton.

After reaching England, DH and I will be backpacking and doing walking trails in Scotland. Everything we will carry on the cruise and Scotland will be in large backpacks. Therefore, we've decided to eliminate formal clothes, dress shoes, etc.

The most formal of clothes we'll have are oxfords, dark-blue jeans, and walking shoes. With this, will we be allowed into the MDR? On the formal nights? On the non-formal nights? I know we can do the WindJammer buffett everyday instead of MDR, but we have dietary restrictions that seriously limits our options in the WindJammer. After all, this is a 13-night cruise and we can't survive with limitations on the WindJammer.

Guidance Please?

Thanks!!

-Nina

You will not be denied entrance to the dining room wearing jeans, even on formal night. You will find lots of threads on this subject. RC posts a sign outside of the dining room saying no shorts and no tank tops (for men). You will also find many people are very opinionated on this subject.

My personal opinion, I would not wear jeans in the main dining room on any night; tend to follow the suggested dress code. Note the dress code is "suggested."

It seems that cruising has become less formal, and the "suggestions for dress" are not always followed. On our transatlantic cruise, however, did find that people did follow the suggested dress and formal night was quite formal.

You won't be denied entry.

On my last cruise, my party of 5 was seated at a table with 2 parties of 2 (couples). Since RC had somehow dropped the ball and failed to link our dining reservations, we didn't get this table until the first formal night (2nd night of the cruise). My family and I dressed to the 9's. One of the couples wore what I would call "Sunday Best". The other couple looked as though they had just come from the beach. Sundress for her, button front shirt for him. We had a ball!!! I enjoyed dining with them every night!!!

I think the people who make a big deal out of it are definitely a minority.

You will likely get some posts to the contrary. . . but, you will be admitted. Many will wear jeans on casual nights.

On my last cruise--a TA on the Legend, a woman wore bib overalls and a red bandanna scarf on formal night. :eek:

I can do you one better than that. Formal night on the Enchantment. A large table next to was mostly dressed decently, except one gentlemen had on a Duck Dynasty t-shirt; Pennzoil ball cap, jean shorts and flip flops. He sat, he was served, he ate. The ship did not sink ;)

Jeans are just fine. Now I don't think jeans with holes and t-shirts are appropriate for formal nights in the MDR (or any night for that matter) but nice jeans and a polo or button shirt is great as far as we're concerned. We have been seated with people on formal night, who entered the dining room wearing shorts and t-shirts and guys with hats, and surprisingly (gasp) we enjoyed our meals regardless of what they are wearing. The posts that seem to think if you want to wear jeans, go to the buffet or a specialty restaurant is a bunch of crap. Be clean and pleasant and you can sit at our table anytime. Have fun!!!!

You won't be denied entry.

On my last cruise, my party of 5 was seated at a table with 2 parties of 2 (couples). Since RC had somehow dropped the ball and failed to link our dining reservations, we didn't get this table until the first formal night (2nd night of the cruise). My family and I dressed to the 9's. One of the couples wore what I would call "Sunday Best". The other couple looked as though they had just come from the beach. Sundress for her, button front shirt for him. We had a ball!!! I enjoyed dining with them every night!!!

I think the people who make a big deal out of it are definitely a minority.

This is the attitude more people should go with!! Dress how YOU are comfortable and respectable and enjoy the company - people are not their clothes and may have very good reasons why they aren't dressed to the nines. :)

Also another option for the OP - Room service is free (although tips are useful) and I believe you can get most of the main menu delivered. And I have also ordered at the dining room off the main menu and requested the lids be left on the plates and taken them back to my room myself.

Bon Appetit!

DH and me are headed on the Independence of the Seas to the Caribbean and Southampton.

After reaching England, DH and I will be backpacking and doing walking trails in Scotland. Everything we will carry on the cruise and Scotland will be in large backpacks. Therefore, we've decided to eliminate formal clothes, dress shoes, etc.

The most formal of clothes we'll have are oxfords, dark-blue jeans, and walking shoes. With this, will we be allowed into the MDR? On the formal nights? On the non-formal nights? I know we can do the WindJammer buffett everyday instead of MDR, but we have dietary restrictions that seriously limits our options in the WindJammer. After all, this is a 13-night cruise and we can't survive with limitations on the WindJammer.

Guidance Please?

Thanks!!

-Nina

Join the Roll Call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810784&page=205

:)

I'm on the same cruise as you (as Merion_mom said, come join our roll call!). I don't care what you wear where, as long as you don't look manky dirty, or turn up naked in my cabin :)

Personally I probably wouldn't wear jeans in the dining room on formal night, but that's just me. I'd throw in one "nice", non-bulky outfit each - even while you're hiking in Scotland you might want to go to a restaurant or something. For you, a pair of sandals won't add much weight (something like these are lightweight, don't take up much room, and can be binned getting off the ship if you want).

While I wouldn't be comfortable with it, I met someone a few years ago who was doing something similar to you, and they bought some dressier clothes in a charity/second-hand shop for the cruise, then left them behind.

Guidance Please?

Thanks!!

-Nina

Yes, you will be allowed in, and you will be able to spot your fellow North Americans dressed in that manner.

The Europeans will still be dressing in more formal wear - mainly because we can drive to the port and take loads of dressing up gear.

We do still care for Back Tie events, but understand your predicament.

You won't be denied entry on any of the nights.

Royal Caribbean has become very loose with their dress code. This line is a budget line and caters to very casual informal people. They have been letting folks in on Formal night in jeans and polos. You will be fine!

I was wondering when we were going to have a new dedicated thread to this subject! I'm starting a pool if anybody is interested to see how many pages this one goes! :cool:

Edited by bigque

Guidance Please?

Thanks!!

-Nina

So you are using the Indy as the transportation from the US to England (then to Scotland) for an extended trip?

Yea, that's cool. Very very cool. I want to do something very simliar someday. Even have looked into how long a US citizen can stay in the EU to check the two directions of travel (GB does not count in that, I found out).

Have a great time!

Jeans are simply cotton (denim) slacks...they are fine. They are not suitable for "formal" wear, but on all the other nights, you're good to go.

"suitable" or not, they are allowed in the main dining room on every night. While many may feel otherwise as far as formal nights are concerned, the fact is that the dress code is simply a suggestion and jeans are nowhere mentioned as being unacceptable. We have seen all types of attire on formal nights and only rarely have we seen anyone denied admittance to the dining room,(and it wasn't because they were wearing jeans on a formal night). If you are comfortable in what you are wearing, don't let those who believe that they are the final arbiters of what is "acceptable" dictate to you.

Edited by negc

Maybe the OP can visit the dining room after boarding to speak to the maitre'd. They could request a table that is close to the doors so they won't have to walk too far through the dining room to get to their table.

Eileen

Jeans are perfectly fine for the MDR. You will look fine and not out of place. On the formal nights, you will be a little underdressed but will not be denied entry to the MDR. If you are uncomfortable with that, consider an alternative dining venue on formal nights only. Enjoy!