Will I be able to have deposit refunded if cancelling a booking within a week?

Leighites

Last week I rather spontaneously booked the Adonia Amazon cruise for Dec 2015 with readers on Line and paid £1450 deposit. However at the time of booking whilst we asked for a balcony cabin no mention was made of the cabin number apart from it being on deck A. Thus I called back a couple of hrs later to be told we would be we would be in A076 to the rear of the mid section. I have since learned that A deck can be noisy First thing in the morning and that the position of the cabin is well towards the aft. Thus we would prefer a mid position on a lower deck. Having called Readers on Line now been told that we would only be able to move to B deck and remain in the same position cabin unless we wish to pay £400pp for a mid deck cabin. I am very annoyed that we had no opportunity to agree the cabin and that now some 20 months ahead we are being dealt with like this. Are we able to get a refund from our credit card company if we cancel?

Edited by Leighites
Spelling error

Hi,

I doubt you would get a refund, but you could always try. Alternately you could try to move your deposit to a different cruise (for an admin fee probably). Mid deck cabins are priced higher than those forward and aft, although £400pp more sounds a lot to me.

Why not go for the offered cabin on B deck? At least you won't get the noise that you would get on A deck, and it should be quieter. You'll also get less "foot traffic" than being in the middle of the deck.

We always research the cabin we would like - and importantly not like - and we book a specific cabin number and mark it "no upgrade". If you do move cabins, be sure to mark your booking "no upgrade" if you want to stay where you are, as otherwise you could be moved to what P&O consider an "upgrade" but you may not think so.

Your cruise sounds wonderful and something on my bucket list for the future. Have a great time.

Thanks for replies. I agree that I should have done some research first but rashly decided to make the booking trusting the agents reassurances re being close to mid deck etc. I won't make that mistake again and nor will I forget to negotiate which cabin suits us best before paying the deposit! Only our third cruise! Will call P and O direct as you suggest. No doubt we will be on B deck in similar number cabin. Calming down now!

Edited by Leighites

Yes when I booked I did think it was a high deposit but didn't realise until I was asked for it and so just paid it. Take it that Readers offers are an agent who offer "deals" but perhaps best to book direct in future. All a learning curve and won't be so rash next time.