Question about Dress Code on the NCL Jewel

rglick1971

Can't comment specifically on the Jewel, but on the Spirit, they were pretty lax about it, even in the "nicer" MDR. It seemed to depend on how crowded it was. Very early at dinner when people were still just trickling in, I saw grown men in shorts allowed to enter, yet when there was a wait at the more "casual" MDR, they turned people in shorts away (I think kids under 13 are ok with shorts, but don't quote me on that).

Overall though, the Freestyle mentality is VERY lax. I am only 24 (was 22 on the cruise in question) and actually wore a tux on formal night (nothing super fancy, just a simple black ensemble, which actually cost me less than some of my suits) and I was one of maybe 10 men on the ship in anything fancier than a sport jacket. An older gentleman actually came up to me the next morning on deck and said he was amazed people my age actually had class and knew how to dress on a ship.

I'm just off the Jewel on 07/31/2010.. yes people wore shorts in the Main Dinning Room.. I would only suggest that they look somewhat decent.. no bathing suits or tank tops. I used the MDR once and found it nice, but really took to TZARS which is in the ships stern and has a fantastic view. Guests wore suits, casual clothes and yes, shorts, but everyone appeard to be tasefully dressed when casual.

It seems like it's a crap shoot.

When on the Wind in 2007 absolutely no shorts in the MDR...despite the face we were in Hawaii.

Majesty in 2008... It was pretty much a free for all.

You can awlays pack ONE set of dinner clothes and wear them every night :rolleyes:

on the Jewel in January and i never saw anyone turned away from either MDR for shorts...they were NICE shorts and there were several on any given night wearing....children too---but sometimes sailing to sailing changes and you just never know, depends on who is in charge and what they are allowing!

Archived