Alaska with young kids and older, mobility-impaired adults

laragc

We are planning an Alaska cruise with a pretty diverse group next year. There will be two 5 year olds, one three year old, two twenty-somethings, two 40-somethings and four or six seventy-somethings. Oh, and one of the older couples is gay. Two of the adults have mobility issues - one can't walk long distances and one can't stand a long time. I would expect the less mobile of the two will not do many excursions but we'd like some options.

So - looking for suggestions for gay-accepting, kid-friendly, disabled-friendly ships in Alaska.

Oh, and everyone has cruised before and everyone hates Carnival. Older folks are not sold on Disney and the price difference seems pretty big, plus we all would like to do Glacier Bay.

I cannot speak to gay-friendly cruise lines. You may want to post to and/or sift through the GLBT forum for insights

We've done several AK trips on a variety of lines. If Glacier Bay is a "must" that would eliminate RCCI (and X and Azmara) - since RCCI corp does not cruise Glacier Bay (although I've been to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier and it really is more a question of weather rather than geography -- both can be amazing when the weather is good, and rather "ho hum" if socked in with fog/very low hanging clouds). Any other ports that are "must sees"?

Disney can be pricey -- I agree better values can be found with Holland, Princess or NCL.

We've had great experiences with Princess and NCL for children's programs. Never had any kids when we were on Holland. The 3YOs will be able to attend the children's programs on either line. A 1YO would not on either.

As to excursions, the historic train ride in Skagway might be good for the mobility impared -- two visits ago we saw the train folks using specialized equipment to board a multi-handicapped individual, I assume they would have a variety of aids to be able to assist passengers. Once on board, it is pretty passive -- which might not make it a good option for the littlest ones (we did it when DD was 8YO, both she and I were thoroughly bored and very glad we had each brought a book, but that's us :))

Is there any reason that all have to do the same excursions? Let the ones with kids do more active or kid friendly excursions, and the folk with mobility issues do less strenuous activities. In Skagway, the older ones might enjoy the train ride, and buy a $5 all day pass for the town shuttle, using it as a hop on, hop off bus. In Juneau, those with mobility issues might need to do a ship excursion, as if you are on Princess or NCL, you dock a healthy walk from the tourist center. Smaller HAL ships dock closer in. Ketchikan has a free shuttle loop from the pier that takes you around town. Go over to the Alaska board on the Ports of Call forum here at CC, and get lots more ideas. I have seen lots of gay couples, young and old, on all of the ships I have cruised. EM

So - looking for suggestions for gay-accepting, kid-friendly, disabled-friendly ships in Alaska.

All of them.

Since Glacier Bay is something you really want to do, I'd pick a line that goes there. I believe HAL and Princess are the only lines allowed there, (possibly Crystal and Regent?) so those are your options.

As far as excursions go, I can't fathom the idea of trying to plan something that will be interesting to both 5 year olds and 70 year olds. Can your group split up and do different things?

And yes, virtually all excursions will be handicap friendly, they usually state so when you register. The Skagway train is great for all ages, but it sounds like you personally aren't interested in it.

Either HAL or Princess would be fine options. All of the ships pretty much have the same excursions. Princess has MUTS, HAL doesn't. I liked HAL's dining and ship layout better than Princess. Both lines were excellent for kids. HAL ships in Alaska are smaller than Princess ships.

Disney is not worth the premium.

Archived