First time river cruiser taking July 2014 cruise on new line Emerald Waterways

rileygirl12

Has anyone else looked at Emerald Waterways new river cruises for 2014? Just booked the Classic Prague and Danube Delights for July. As a first time river cruiser any advise on packing, weather expected and what to do with free time in Prague maybe even some restaurant picks.

• 5 months later...

you ll have to one of the first to review it.

Do check on river cruise advisor(google) for more info.Also, a thread re it on main river cruise area below this.Fodors listed it as one of the cruises for 2014,sounds good and I got a brochure in mail(same company owns it as Scenic)a 5 star ship).

Lots of info under ports section for Prague.Also look up tourist info site for all the ports and they give lots of info.We did Prague on own 3 days prior to cruise with guidebook.Get a hotel in old town and easy to walk and see all the sites.

DO let us know.:)

• 4 weeks later...

try to get hotels in old town section for easier walking,etc.Get a app with info if you can,we used old fashion book.Sort of standout as a tourist when carrying THAT everywhere..

Asked hotel concierge for rest.rec.that were within walking distance that HE LIKES(locals)and both were fantasic.Now always do that.

Budapest is fantastic and going back in June on cruise from there to Bucharest. .Budapest is like Paris when lit up at nite,people friendly, speak English,great food.

Will be interested in Emerald lines since offshoot of Scenic(which I m taking for above).

try to get hotels in old town section for easier walking,etc.Get a app with info if you can,we used old fashion book.Sort of standout as a tourist when carrying THAT everywhere..

Asked hotel concierge for rest.rec.that were within walking distance that HE LIKES(locals)and both were fantasic.Now always do that.

Budapest is fantastic and going back in June on cruise from there to Bucharest. .Budapest is like Paris when lit up at nite,people friendly, speak English,great food.

Will be interested in Emerald lines since offshoot of Scenic(which I m taking for above).

Do you have recommendations on Budapest hotels?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

and that s what s inc.in our pre cruise with Scenic.Had seen it before and looked great. But can always check with many of the hotel sites and see if something else to your liking.

??? Did I miss part of your comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

its all inc.on page here,perhaps title not coming thru on your app?

Said Marriott..and rest you have

I'll go look on the regular site, you are right nothing is coming thru on the CC app... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Often I don't read the Title as part of the message, expecting those words to be repeated at the start of the message proper -- so the message seems strange until I realize that it's all one thought.

We are also cruising the Danube on one of the Evergreen ships ...Emerald ? Haven't been on a river cruise before, but have done a few sea cruises. Our cruise is called 24 Day Eastern Europe Escapade starting in Prague on 17th July and finishing in Amsterdam. We are actually picking up the tour in Berlin as we have recently been to Prague. One of the tours is to Cesky Krumlov and I have been trying to find out if there is any other way of doing this tour privately but have had no luck. Will you be doing this particular tour?

Hi Burbec we went to Cesky with Scenic a couple if years ago, I think I read somewhere on CC that someone went seperatly try a search. The day we went was realy dismal but Cesky certainly deserves it's World Heritage status. Wonderful frescos on the houses cute cobbled streets some of the shops are a bit touristy but super toy shops, wooden toys. The whole setting is very fairy tail. With an elegant lady taking her ferrit for a walk on a very swish lead. Whichever way you get there enjoy.

You can do Cesky as a day or two day trip from Prague. Our TA was there with AMA a few years ago and said that she would love to go back and spend the night there.

You can also take the bus yourself from Prague I believe.

We have decided to just go with the excursion with Scenic.

• 3 weeks later...

We have also booked at the Marriott for our 2 day extension in Budapest. According to the website the rooms have been renovated this year and we will have a balcony overlooking the Danube so looking forward to the night views. Emeralds 2 day extension was the Courtyard which also looks very nice but was not on the river so we opted to book on our own. Emerald did not offer an upgrade choice of hotel, which means we have to book our own transfers to hotel and then to airport. Emerald includes the transfers as part of the package if you book their extension. Depending on where the boat docks in Budapest the hotel may be walkable. There also looks like a tram goes along the river so not sure yet what we will do. If anyone has info on that please let me know. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have booked this cruise for my husband and myself and another couple. We Will be anxious to read your reviews about your Emerald experience. Also, looking forward to meeting other people sailing on this same cruise..This will be our second river cruise. Trying to adjust to Cruise Critic's format as I am accustom to ocean cruises and posting to our specific cruise.....