Celebrity Did a Bad Job With Solo Travelers!

zwho

I recently returned from a 12 day Celebrity Constellation cruise and was very disappointed with how I was treated as a Solo guest. Their only nod to being a Solo was a small sign at the Guest Relations Desk advertising a nightly gathering of Solos, Singles, Gay & Lesbian "Others" meeting at one of the bars on the Ship. I stopped by one evening and could not find where I would have belonged. It just looked like a bunch of people in a bar. That was it. On other cruise lines I've taken, (specifically) RCCL & NCL Solo activities have been listed daily in the Ships Newsletter and there have been luncheons, game team & religious services offered to Solos. It like the Ship didn't want us to find each other. If anything keeps me from booking Celebrity again, that would be it! I don't travel Solo all the time, but when I do I still like to meet people. I like meeting couples but also would like to find others traveling alone and Celebrity pretty much acted like we weren't there. Even at dinner I was seated with 3 other couples. How hard would it have been to put a few single tables together? Anyone else notice this kind of neglect by the cruiseline or am I just sensitive?

I recently returned from a 12 day Celebrity Constellation cruise and was very disappointed with how I was treated as a Solo guest. Their only nod to being a Solo was a small sign at the Guest Relations Desk advertising a nightly gathering of Solos, Singles, Gay & Lesbian "Others" meeting at one of the bars on the Ship. I stopped by one evening and could not find where I would have belonged. It just looked like a bunch of people in a bar. That was it. On other cruise lines I've taken, (specifically) RCCL & NCL Solo activities have been listed daily in the Ships Newsletter and there have been luncheons, game team & religious services offered to Solos. It like the Ship didn't want us to find each other. If anything keeps me from booking Celebrity again, that would be it! I don't travel Solo all the time, but when I do I still like to meet people. I like meeting couples but also would like to find others traveling alone and Celebrity pretty much acted like we weren't there. Even at dinner I was seated with 3 other couples. How hard would it have been to put a few single tables together? Anyone else notice this kind of neglect by the cruiseline or am I just sensitive?

Hi, sorry you felt you were mistreated.

I have been sailing solo with Celebrity for 10 years and going on

my next cruise in February. I have always felt very welcomed and

usually see some familiar faces on board too.

I don't care about going to "singles events"....not anything that

interests me. As for dinner time? As long as I am with folks who are

friendly? Their maritial status doesn't matter to me to either. My last

cruise was in August to Bermuda and I sat with a family of 4 and 1

other single passenger....the 6 of us got along famously and enjoyed

our dinners every night:).

I guess it depends on expectations and priorities. For me? I always

sail solo and like I mentioned, does not matter to me if there are other

solo/single/unattached passengers on board or not. I always have a

wonderful time:).....I make my own fun:D and I like to meet people

too but I don't care if they are solo.

As for feeling negleted? I never feel that way.........I can't tell you

how to feel or not feel but there are always activities and events

on board for everyone.

Oh, one other thing.....if you were unhappy with your tablemates?

The Maitr'd is usually very accomodating but you need to let them

know you would like to move.

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself more.

Edited by Lois R

Singles/solos are a very small % of the cruise populace. Want a singles table? Ask when you book. It works. Cannot find singles group in bar? Ask bartender. You may be interested in hosted singles groups. These are very social with special events etc.

Other than in the studios on NCL Epic I really haven't seen cruise lines really committed to reaching out to them. Yes on RCCL they listed solo events but they were poorly attended (if anyone showed) and the cruise line did not send a representative from the activities staff to get things going. The first time on NCL Pearl they did and the host arranged for us to go to lunch but it was up to us after that. So,the best we can expect at this time is a somewhat reasonable single supplement. If recognition of solo cruisers is more important than price and other factors consider the NCL Epic. I'd say it was good and ideal for solos but Celebrity is a bit classier and the Epic's itineraries are more limited. We can hope the success of NCL's studios may influence other cruise lines to consider the solo market segment but until they install solo cabins on ships the segment is too small to put any priority on.

Singles/solos are a very small % of the cruise populace. Want a singles table? Ask when you book. It works. Cannot find singles group in bar? Ask bartender. You may be interested in hosted singles groups. These are very social with special events etc.

There is a company that specializes in hosted singles cruises that my friend goes with regularly and recommends. There is a bit of a premium price to pay, which includes the hosts and private events, so it's where your priorities are.

As someone said, it's more about expectations than anything else. I couldn't care less about whether or not there is any type of special event to gather solo travelers together, so I wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. I also don't mind being seated at a table with several different couples.....I had an experience of being seated as the only stranger at a table comprised solely of family members, which was bad, but my last trip I had a wonderful time at a mixed table of 8 that included no other solo travelers (two friends, one family of three, and one married couple). In fact, I changed away from a table of solo travelers because I didn't at all feel I had anything in common with that group of people.....in other words, just being solo didn't make them good dinner companions for me.

I don't expect the ship (or hotel, or resort) where I vacation to do anything to help me meet other solo travelers, so I wouldn't say that they did anything wrong by not offering that to me. The only thing I would say would put them in the category of "doing a bad job" with solo travelers would be if I got worse service or rudeness from the staff because I was solo. All I expect is to be treated the same as everyone else.

I don't expect the ship (or hotel, or resort) where I vacation to do anything to help me meet other solo travelers, so I wouldn't say that they did anything wrong by not offering that to me. The only thing I would say would put them in the category of "doing a bad job" with solo travelers would be if I got worse service or rudeness from the staff because I was solo. All I expect is to be treated the same as everyone else.

Amen to that! :-)

In fact - and I'm not picking on anyone here - but I find it ironic that many solo travelers want lower fares, but ALSO want the cruise line to offer special hosted services tailored to them. Seems like a contradiction to me...

I think cruise lines should adopt the NCL studio concept and offer a lower single supplement. Cruise lines cater to families/children, by offering Nickolodian themed cruises etc. so why not cater to solos? I cruise mainly because it's more social and cost effective than land tours. Hosted singles cruises don't appeal to me because it appears that many folks that take these cruises are looking for a love connection....so, I continue to scour the web for low single supplements. I'll soon be taking my second RCCL solo cruise. If it wasn't for cruise critic, the first RCCL solo cruise would not have worked out well, but I met fellow CC members, making it the best cruise ever!!

As mrobstad says, meeting people on CC makes a huge difference. When people ask me if it's scary going on a cruise alone my answer is no. I go on to explain to them because of our roll call I already have friends on board.

Hi, it depends on who is asking me the question.......after cruising solo

for 10 years? I do sometimes tell them about Cruise Critic but other

times? I tell them cruising solo is a piece of cake (for me anyway) and

no it is not scarey.

Some folks? I don't even give them an explanation.

As mrobstad says, meeting people on CC makes a huge difference. When people ask me if it's scary going on a cruise alone my answer is no. I go on to explain to them because of our roll call I already have friends on board.

Again it's about expectations: it would never occur to me - because I've done a lot of international travel solo - that cruising solo would be "scary" since everything is taken care of for me and I don't need to worry about choosing where to stay or eat, for example. The cruise ship is a built in safety net. But that's because I don't think of being alone as being scary, and I don't feel lost or adrift without friends or companions around me.

I always feel at a loss about what to say when people say I'm brave for traveling solo, until I realized that bravery requires fear and if I don't feel afraid to be alone, I'm not being brave when I am alone. I'm not saying I prefer to travel alone, but it's better than not traveling at all.

Again it's about expectations: it would never occur to me - because I've done a lot of international travel solo - that cruising solo would be "scary" since everything is taken care of for me and I don't need to worry about choosing where to stay or eat, for example. The cruise ship is a built in safety net. But that's because I don't think of being alone as being scary, and I don't feel lost or adrift without friends or companions around me.

I always feel at a loss about what to say when people say I'm brave for traveling solo, until I realized that bravery requires fear and if I don't feel afraid to be alone, I'm not being brave when I am alone. I'm not saying I prefer to travel alone, but it's better than not traveling at all.

I completely agree.

When I booked my first cruise last year, all of my friends were like "wow, you're going alone?? I could never do that!" The way I see it, though... I would rather cruise alone than not cruise at all. If all I get are excuses from people for why they can't go (can't afford it, can't get time off of work, family obligations, scared of cruising, etc), then by golly I'm going to go myself. Why should I miss out on cruising just because none of my friends want to go?

One of my co-workers had even TURNED DOWN A FREE CRUISE (before we met) because she didn't have anyone to go with her. I told her that she was crazy, of course. I would have been on that cruise without a moment's hesitation. lol

One of my co-workers had even TURNED DOWN A FREE CRUISE (before we met) because she didn't have anyone to go with her. I told her that she was crazy, of course. I would have been on that cruise without a moment's hesitation. lol
I used to know someone like that too. Only she used to tell me: "It's not normal to go on a cruise alone! It's very selfish! You have to go with someone!" Only when I actually invited get her to come on a cruise with me, she rejected every single ship or itinerary I suggested to her. ("I shouldn't have to pay the port charges!", "The weather will be too cold!", "Takes too long to fly there!", etc.) Needless to say, a few months later, I was waving to people onshore during the sailaway, she was at home watching TV, and we're no longer friends.

@zwho:

My experience on Carnival was just like yours (described in first post). Carnival advertised a singles' gathering in the nightclub, but when I came, it was like just like your situation: a bunch of people in a bar, and no way to tell who's single and who's just there. People were still friendly for the most part, but I would have preferred some type of ice-breakers and stuff. I ended up dancing with a few women in the bar, but that's about it. I kind of had that coming. Other people on Cruise Critic said that Carnival's singles' gatherings are poorly attended, poorly organized, or both. But on the plus side, I ended up making friends later during the cruise, and we had a blast hanging out.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I used to know someone like that too. Only she used to tell me: "It's not normal to go on a cruise alone! It's very selfish! You have to go with someone!" Only when I actually invited get her to come on a cruise with me, she rejected every single ship or itinerary I suggested to her. ("I shouldn't have to pay the port charges!", "The weather will be too cold!", "Takes too long to fly there!", etc.) Needless to say, a few months later, I was waving to people onshore during the sailaway, she was at home watching TV, and we're no longer friends.

With friends like that? Sounds like you are much better off without

her.......geeezzz.......she likes a neurotic loser.......that might sound

harsh but from reading your post? That is exactly how it comes

across.

You know after all these years? I am quite happy with my life and

I don't have anyone to ask to go with me and I wouldn't want to

even if I did;)

With friends like that? Sounds like you are much better off without

her.......geeezzz.......she likes a neurotic loser.......that might sound

harsh but from reading your post? That is exactly how it comes

across.

You know after all these years? I am quite happy with my life and

I don't have anyone to ask to go with me and I wouldn't want to

even if I did;)

Lois, I have a great system that works for me. Like you, I always travel solo, but I also always invite the girls from work to go along. It has worked out very well as I know none of their husbands would let them go along with me. They know I am joking of course, so that way I have a guaranteed no when I ask some one to come along. That way if they give me a hard time about taking another trip I can go, Hey, it's not like I didn't ask you to go. Neil

Lois, I have a great system that works for me. Like you, I always travel solo, but I also always invite the girls from work to go along. It has worked out very well as I know none of their husbands would let them go along with me. They know I am joking of course, so that way I have a guaranteed no when I ask some one to come along. That way if they give me a hard time about taking another trip I can go, Hey, it's not like I didn't ask you to go. Neil

Hi Neil, that is too funny:D.....

We have much different offices...I have worked for the same company

23 years next month and I do have some longtime co-workers...not

as long as my time but long enough....anyway, we all get along pretty

well but I would never vacation with them and they probably would

not want to vacation with me either;)....I have never asked any

of them to go with me and don't ever plan to LOL

Hi Neil, that is too funny:D.....

We have much different offices...I have worked for the same company

23 years next month and I do have some longtime co-workers...not

as long as my time but long enough....anyway, we all get along pretty

well but I would never vacation with them and they probably would

not want to vacation with me either;)....I have never asked any

of them to go with me and don't ever plan to LOL

Lois, I wouldn't care to vacation with most of the people I work with either. We get along great and have lots of fun at work, but none of them are big travelers,and I enjoy seeing the world. We do a lot of kidding back and forth, so they all say they get two vacations a year. Once when they take theirs, and again when I take mine. I do have it coming though as I have a little bit of a teasing nature. Life is too short not to enjoy it.

Hi again, I wonder if the original poster is going to check back in here.

Seems most of us agree it doesn't seem to have been mistreatment.

I LOVE Celebrity and my next one up is in February:D

Hi again, I wonder if the original poster is going to check back in here.

Seems most of us agree it doesn't seem to have been mistreatment.

I LOVE Celebrity and my next one up is in February:D

I agree, I think everyone has different expectations on what their solo experience should be. I have enjoyed all of my solo trips, no matter which line I was sailing with, but I certainly don't expect any line to entertain me because I am a solo. I can just go with the flow and do that myself. I still haven't tried Celebrity yet, but I want to, I just haven't found the right itinerary for me yet. I leave Friday on the Noordam for a 10 day trip south. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy the trip. I fly out tomorrow for FLL, so I am a little antsy at work today.

Neil

I agree, I think everyone has different expectations on what their solo experience should be. I have enjoyed all of my solo trips, no matter which line I was sailing with, but I certainly don't expect any line to entertain me because I am a solo. I can just go with the flow and do that myself. I still haven't tried Celebrity yet, but I want to, I just haven't found the right itinerary for me yet. I leave Friday on the Noordam for a 10 day trip south. I am pretty sure that I will enjoy the trip. I fly out tomorrow for FLL, so I am a little antsy at work today.

Neil

Hi Neil, hope you have a great cruise:D...I bet Ft. Lauderdale is

warmer than Minnesota!;)

My sis and bil are going on The New Westerdam on Sunday.

Maybe one of these days you and I will meet on the high seas:)

Hi Neil, hope you have a great cruise:D...I bet Ft. Lauderdale is

warmer than Minnesota!;)

My sis and bil are going on The New Westerdam on Sunday.

Maybe one of these days you and I will meet on the high seas:)

You are correct about the temp. Yesterday morning it was 13 degrees so FLL will be a little warmer than Minnesota for sure. It is supposed to be in the 40's while I am gone, and that is a heat wave up here for this time of the year.

You are correct about the temp. Yesterday morning it was 13 degrees so FLL will be a little warmer than Minnesota for sure. It is supposed to be in the 40's while I am gone, and that is a heat wave up here for this time of the year.

Hello fellow Minnesotan!

I have just started solo cruising; I will be taking my 3rd solo cruise, first on Celebrity in Jan 2014. So far I have had a great time and met great people.

Have a great time and enjoy the warmness!!!

Hello fellow Minnesotan!

I have just started solo cruising; I will be taking my 3rd solo cruise, first on Celebrity in Jan 2014. So far I have had a great time and met great people.

Have a great time and enjoy the warmness!!!

Hope you have a great trip. I have not tried Celebrity yet, but Lois R speaks very highly of them, and I respect her opinion. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Hi Neil, thank you for the kind words:):o

Lois, You have always been a good source, here on the solo forum, so I am just speaking the truth. Made it to FLL OK yesterday and will be boarding in a few hours. Yes it is much warmer here than in MN. Neil