Tips and Tidbits for My Upcoming Cruise

baxter44

Hi Cruisers,

I've been reading and reading since booking my 3/27 cruise a few months ago and like many of you, making lists/spreadsheets/plans in order to maximize my relaxing vacation once on board! I thought I'd share the tips that I know will be helpful to me on this trip and might be to you as well! Feel free to add to this, I'm sure there are more great tips/hacks out there! Thanks to all previous cruisers for their advice, it really makes such a difference. :)

1. Take a picture of passports on smartphones

2. Bring sea bands for kids (first time cruisers, no idea how they'll react to motion of the ocean ;))

3. Pack power strip for phone/ipad/camera chargers

4. Bring bag for dirty clothes to keep them separate

5. Put cruise ship luggage tags in carry on to attach the morning of cruise. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HLKJSA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

6. Bring small magnets to attach dailies and other paperwork to doors

7. Pack lanyards for ID cards and have Guest Services hole punch them during embarkation.

8. Bring bugspray with DEET to repel those nasty diseased skeeters

9. Activate iConcierge app at port and connect to ship wifi - DS and I can text for $8/device.

10. Check out hot tub on Deck 13 forward, I think I read this one is not very crowded in evenings.

11. Go aft to Versailles for bkfst to avoid crowds

12. Button to activate light in closet is at eye level in the back, some people evidently couldn't locate and complained about lack of lighting in closets.

13. Double check OBC, my UBP and kids soda packages are listed during boarding

14. Can request a foam pad for bed if too hard

15. You loved caipirinhas on your last cruise, make sure you try one immediately after boarding :D

16. Try the Cote de Boeuf Pour Deux at Le Bistro

17. Bring confirmation emails to all excursions (booked 3rd party)

Just a few tidbits - I hope they help some of you too! Happy Cruising!

Hi Cruisers,

I've been reading and reading since booking my 3/27 cruise a few months ago and like many of you, making lists/spreadsheets/plans in order to maximize my relaxing vacation once on board! I thought I'd share the tips that I know will be helpful to me on this trip and might be to you as well! Feel free to add to this, I'm sure there are more great tips/hacks out there! Thanks to all previous cruisers for their advice, it really makes such a difference. :)

2. Bring sea bands for kids (first time cruisers, no idea how they'll react to motion of the ocean ;))

5. Put cruise ship luggage tags in carry on to attach the morning of cruise. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HLKJSA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

7. Pack lanyards for ID cards and have Guest Services hole punch them during embarkation.

9. Activate iConcierge app at port and connect to ship wifi - DS and I can text for $8/device.

10. Check out hot tub on Deck 13 forward, I think I read this one is not very crowded in evenings.

12. Button to activate light in closet is at eye level in the back, some people evidently couldn't locate and complained about lack of lighting in closets.

15. You loved caipirinhas on your last cruise, make sure you try one immediately after boarding :D

Thanks for the tidbits and the link ... Just ordered my cruise luggage tags [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great list!

Also, check you have all your chargers packed. We left the charger for one of our underwater cameras at home last time.

O'Sheehan's is usually open for breakfast, as well. Sit-down service and less crowds.

If your phone has a GPS, you can keep track of your progress on Google Maps. (Nerd hint.)

Edited by xriva

Great list!

Also, check you have all your chargers packed. We left the charger for one of our underwater cameras at home last time.

Thanks xriva... I have a bag that all "cruise only" items are going in as I get them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great list!

O'Sheehan's is usually open for breakfast, as well. Sit-down service and less crowds.

If your phone has a GPS, you can keep track of your progress on Google Maps. (Nerd hint.)

Yes good point, I should add "pack everything on your list!" to mine ;). All the planning won't help if you don't actually bring it all. I forgot about Sheehan's, thanks for that too. I'm on the STAR, forgot to mention that, that hot tub tip is related to what I've read about the STAR specifically.

Great tips! Now I can use your list instead of making my own! ;)

Glad to help! Oh and this one too...WRITE A CRUISE REVIEW when I get back! I always mean to but never get around to it. By the time my post-cruise depression has lifted I get distracted with the next life thing....but I know someone will want to know was it noisy in my mini-suite on Deck 11? Do I think the a la carte dining is worth the price in specialty restaurants? Were the bathrooms clean? How about Blue Kay? Was I glad I picked that instead of Maya Chan? Was Mr. Sanchos fun? What was my favorite drink of the trip?

I vow to write my review this time! Look for it, people! :D

I vow to write my review this time! Look for it, people! :D

My wife actually keeps a journal - a real, paper one, so her reviews are much more coherent than mine. She also has a list of all the senior staff for reference later - and for posting on the "stalker" board :)

So, if you always plan to write a review when you get home, take notes.

Kevin

thanks for the tips!

I have to look up the iConcierge app. Not sure I understand - assume you need a wifi plan purchased onboard?

Nope. You can use it free to look at restaurant reservations, etc, but if you want to send messages to another guest both have to pay and Extra $7.95 to activate that feature. It uses the ship's wifi network, but not the internet.

thanks for the tips!

I have to look up the iConcierge app. Not sure I understand - assume you need a wifi plan purchased onboard?

You only need a WiFi plan to get to the Internet (Facebook, email, etc) - the iConcierge app lets you get to ship resources (schedules, your account, etc).

There is also an option in iConcierge that lets you communicate with other people on the ship - at an additional charge. (We rarely use it since we're always together, but it's just the two of us - I can see how it would be useful for groups or families.)

Nice list. I added a couple of comments below...

Hi Cruisers,

I use a Belkin multioutlet adapter like the one linked below. I keep it in my carry on so it doesn't get snagged by the outlet strip police :)

http://amzn.com/B0015DYMVO

This is also useful if you are going to a beach known for sand fleas.

18. Bring half as much stuff and twice as much money :D :D

Nice list. I added a couple of comments below...

I use a Belkin multioutlet adapter like the one linked below. I keep it in my carry on so it doesn't get snagged by the outlet strip police :)

http://amzn.com/B0015DYMVO

I love the Belkin multioutlet adapter too, and it has served me well for 5 years, but make sure to order the newer version for a few dollars more (2.1 amp instead of 1 amp) as it will charge more types if devices. I just ordered the newer version for my upcoming cruise. The link for some reason is only going to the 1 amp version. (Choose 3 outlet, 2.1 amp, frustration free packaging). Today is it $2 less than I paid last week.

Edited by Mistizoom

My wife actually keeps a journal - a real, paper one, so her reviews are much more coherent than mine. She also has a list of all the senior staff for reference later - and for posting on the "stalker" board :)

So, if you always plan to write a review when you get home, take notes.

Kevin

Absolutely correct...my recollections are sure to be dim and less than accurate with the UBP :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Cruisers,

So it's about 3 weeks after posting this, and I've added to my tips list while researching and reading all the helpful CC boards...

18. Bought one of these cool chargers people have been raving about on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQY35SM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

19. Bought a floatable waterproof phone case from Amazon that also has a locking compartment for cash/cc's etc...I was leery about leaving my phone and money on the beach while I'm in the water with my kids

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AB1GQO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

20. Made an organizational booklet out of a prong folder and filled it with clear plastic insertable pages, holding our packing list, confirmations, luggage tags, cruise docs currently and will hold souvenir items that we collect along the way in extra empty pages.

21. Bring 6-8 clothespins (some people said large binder clips) to hold wet clothes to chair on balcony to dry.

22. Bring General Foods Int'l Coffee to mix in to coffee in room to jazz it up

23. Bring pedialyte powder packs and drink with water before bed to hold off the dreaded hangover care of UBP :)

24. Highlighter for dailies

25. Watch for mid-week laundry deals

I've got 17 days to go, I'm sure I'll add to my list before then thanks to all of you!

So it's about 3 weeks after posting this, and I've added to my tips list while researching and reading all the helpful CC boards...

18. Bought one of these cool chargers people have been raving about on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQY35SM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

19. Bought a floatable waterproof phone case from Amazon that also has a locking compartment for cash/cc's etc...I was leery about leaving my phone and money on the beach while I'm in the water with my kids

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AB1GQO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

20. Made an organizational booklet out of a prong folder and filled it with clear plastic insertable pages, holding our packing list, confirmations, luggage tags, cruise docs currently and will hold souvenir items that we collect along the way in extra empty pages.

21. Bring 6-8 clothespins (some people said large binder clips) to hold wet clothes to chair on balcony to dry.

22. Bring General Foods Int'l Coffee to mix in to coffee in room to jazz it up

23. Bring pedialyte powder packs and drink with water before bed to hold off the dreaded hangover care of UBP :)

24. Highlighter for dailies

25. Watch for mid-week laundry deals

I've got 17 days to go, I'm sure I'll add to my list before then thanks to all of you!

This is a good one! *scampers off to add to bag*

• 2 months later...

We were on the NCL Getaway ... I used the souvenir magnets to post our itinerary to the wall along with the dailies ... Wish I had brought magnetic hooks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Additional tips:

1) Join your roll call on CC and go to your Meet & Greet on the ship - great way to meet people and get alternate excursion options, tips, etc.

2) Use vacuum bags for luggage - you can fit almost twice as many clothes as you would normally pack! The cabin stewards are always happy to loan out their vacuum cleaners on the last day of the cruise (not disembarkation day).

3) Share a table at dinner - it's a great way to meet new people on the ship.

4) Bring a light sweater or shawl to dinner. It's almost always very cold in the public areas of the ship like the MDR or theatre.