question about documents for child??

temple10

Hi all,I have been given information from my TA and I thought I will ask my friends on CC before I freak out. I am a single mom taking my 15 year old on a cruise in December on the statendam. And was informed that I must have a written permission slip from the removed parent to take my son on the ship. If you are a single parent and share joint legal custody This is how it is. Well we have not seen nor heard from the biological bozo in atleast 10 years. We don't know if he's dead or alive. So then they said I could get a notorized letter from a school teacher, doctor etc. stating the father has not been around. I Guess my question is ?? Is this a issue that they really stick too?? has anyone had to go through this?? Does it hold up the line to board ship?? this will be our first cruise. any input would be helpful to ease my mind.

P.S. I know I have the option to go the court and file child abandonment but trying to get off of work for court times when I am already getting 2 weeks off for the cruise, would be hard.Thnak you friends:D

I'm also curious about this. My stepdaughter's father died six months ago. I'm wondering if we'll need to bring a copy of the death certificate with us, or is there some other procedure we'll need to follow.

You can be sure that you'll be asked for a notarized "permission letter". We had to have one traveling with our grandson. We were required to show it at the airport, when crossing the border into Canada (both ways) and when boarding the ship. Our divorced daughter also has to carry when traveling with him out of the U.S.

I don't know the requirement when the other parent isn't available to sign. Likely a copy of a "sole custody" agreement will suffice. To be safe, ask your attorney' advise. He/she has probably encountered this with numerous clients.

I recently cruised with my SIL and niece on the Maasdam. My brother and SIL are still happily married, but he had started a new job and could not get vacation time. My niece is 7. We had been told about this requirement and my brother signed a notarized letter stating that it was ok for his wife to go on the cruise with his daughter.

My SIL said that that letter was the first piece of documentation that was requesed at check in. I don't know how hard a time she would have had if she hadn't had the letter.

I would imagine that the death certificate would be all that is needed if the parent is deceased.

This policy is enforced. On our Maasdam cruise, one of our CC buddies was traveling with her children, her DH could not get time off from work - she said it was the first thing they asked for.

Does anyone know if the policy applies if a single parent has sole custody of the child?

If you have sole custody and have papers to show it then you can bring those and they will suffice. They just want to make sure you aren't running off with the child. If the father isn;t in your child's life you may be able to write a letter to that fact and get it notarized - I would call a notary public - they could help you

:-)

If you have sole custody and have papers to show it then you can bring those and they will suffice. They just want to make sure you aren't running off with the child. If the father isn;t in your child's life you may be able to write a letter to that fact and get it notarized - I would call a notary public - they could help you

:-)

Instead of a notary, an attorney would be better. :)

As a notary public, I can tell you, I would not be able to provide any legal advice, merely attest to the validity of document, signature, etc. :)

Thank you all for your quick replys. Here I go full speed ahead to get this taken care of. Unreal that when they abandon their child I would nee to ask his (permission) to take my son somewhere. lol lol ( when pigs fly) lol lol. I will defenetly get a notorized letter, but I think I will also try to get more time off of work and go to court to change the joint legal custody to sole legal custody since we haven't seen him in 10 years . I figure it's not like he'll suddenly show up and contest it ( who know's where he is) anyway thank you again you'll have again helped me greatly :D Christine

This policy is enforced. On our Maasdam cruise, one of our CC buddies was traveling with her children, her DH could not get time off from work - she said it was the first thing they asked for.

Does anyone know if the policy applies if a single parent has sole custody of the child?

My brain is somewhere else today. I asked about my stepdaughter because her father died. My daughter also lives with us and is going. I have sole custody. Although she lives locally her mother has seen her once in the last couple of years. Didn't even send a card for her birthday. I've so forgotten that she's her mother I didn't even think of having to get documentation from her. I'll e-mail HAL and see if it's sufficient to bring the court order showing I have sole custody.

Archived