OK be honest with me... About Grand Turk

CarnivalPlatCruiser

I was at Grand Turk in April on the Sunshine... We took a taxi to "Downtown" where we found about six 10x5 foot huts with people selling well... junk...

Now I love shopping at these hut type places in most ports, but these were more like yard sale stuff...

Is there AHYTHING more fun to do at Grand Turk? Other then the awesome cruise terminal itself?

Thanks guys!

A lot of Grand Turk is about the area that is at and near the pier.

It's a simple island but a nice one just to take a drive around the entire island and to stop off at a few of the sites.

With that said, because the area at the terminal is so nice many of us just recommend making it a day at the pier.

But if you want to get out and about have a driver take you around for a few hours. Stop at some of the places as you make it around the island such as the light house.

Keith

I was at Grand Turk in April on the Sunshine... We took a taxi to "Downtown" where we found about six 10x5 foot huts with people selling well... junk...

Now I love shopping at these hut type places in most ports, but these were more like yard sale stuff...

Is there AHYTHING more fun to do at Grand Turk? Other then the awesome cruise terminal itself?

Thanks guys!

Stay in the ship an enjoy the peace and quiet.;)

Thanks guys!

Grand Turk is best known for scuba diving along its awesome "wall" in the National Marine Park. Even if you aren't already a certified diver, as long as you are in good health, you can book a Discover Scuba Diving trip to see what scuba diving is like.

We did a dune buggy excursion. Very exciting and fun. Lots of wild horses and burros.

The shirt I wore will never be clean again (oh well). I got dirtier than anyone else in our caravan because my dear hubby knows how to make the muddy water fly!

Grand Turk is best known for scuba diving along its awesome "wall" in the National Marine Park. Even if you aren't already a certified diver, as long as you are in good health, you can book a Discover Scuba Diving trip to see what scuba diving is like.

Some say the diving in Grand Turk is fabulous..... among the best in the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the hop on hop off tour of the island, it stopped at several places on the island, including the light house, and the drivers are really nice and give you some neat information along the way.

After that we had lunch and drinks at Jack's Shack and rented some snorkel gear from the hut and chilled on the beach for the afternoon.

White beaches with beautiful water!

We took the hop on hop off tour of the island, it stopped at several places on the island, including the light house, and the drivers are really nice and give you some neat information along the way.

After that we had lunch and drinks at Jack's Shack and rented some snorkel gear from the hut and chilled on the beach for the afternoon.

White beaches with beautiful water!

I'm curious, is this a regualr service "hop on hop off" ? If so where does it go (circuit), how much is it and how reguarly does it run?

Thanks Keith (Southend, UK)

I'm curious, is this a regualr service "hop on hop off" ? If so where does it go (circuit), how much is it and how reguarly does it run?

Thanks Keith (Southend, UK)

In the cruise port area there is a Grand Turk Express booth - we paid $19 a person and we boarded a van that toured the island.

It drives you through Cockburn town, stops at a museum, the lighthouse (gorgeous area), drives by the old military base and hospital, the salt mines, and a beach then brings you back to the port. The vans run on a 30 minute loop and stay at each stop around 15 minutes, so if you want to stay longer at the lighthouse you can catch the next van.

• 2 weeks later...

So when you took Grand Turk Express booth and paid $19 a person Can you tell me how long is the tour and is there time to shop. Taking our parents it is their 60th anniversary and we want them to see a lot and have time for shopping and not worry about missing the ship. I think however that might be hard on the island but we've seen it happen on other cruises. Also are they right in the terminal ?

Yes, we certainly saw some "junk".

BUT, the best shop we found on the island was the gift shop at the National Museum. We didn't have time for the museum, but the gift shop was great. All quality souvenirs from the Turks and Caicos. ...flavoured rock or sea salt (lime and other fruit salt for Margaritas, sundried tomato salt, rosemary salt, garlic salt etc. They also had very nice silver jewellery with Grand Turk sand in/under glass. Also some shell jewellery and some homemade soaps. Very nice.

This is an island that is still unspoiled by large resorts. It is really nice to see an island they way "they used to be". That was fun for me

So when you took Grand Turk Express booth and paid $19 a person Can you tell me how long is the tour and is there time to shop. Taking our parents it is their 60th anniversary and we want them to see a lot and have time for shopping and not worry about missing the ship. I think however that might be hard on the island but we've seen it happen on other cruises. Also are they right in the terminal ?

Take the Trolley tour - easy, fun and since the island is small, you are back in 1.5 hours.

We took a "taxi" more of a van which hold 10 people that took us in to town. The island is zoned depending how far from the cruise center you travel. We walked around a bit, shopped a bit. I got a necklace for $6 that I later saw at the cruise terminal for $15. It was probably all from China, but at least I didn't over pay and bought from a local not a ship sponsored store. :rolleyes: . We also visited the smAll museum and found that very interesting.

We then Walked down to a bar right on the beach and had a fabulous lunch of cracked conch and rum punch. :D. The restaurant called us a taxi and we got a ride back to the cruise center. It was a great day, laid back. I only wish we would have made it up to the lighthouse.

We just got back from Grand Turk, again, and this time we did the helicopter tour! It was awesome. Grand Turk is beautiful, but from the air its breath taking! We saw stingrays from the air, an old ship wreck, and the pilot said they often seen sharks and on occasion whales (during certain times of the year).

The Helicopter tour co also has their own private beach, you can stay there and swim for a while and when your ready they will take you back to the port. (its only a 5 minute drive)

Well worth the money. I think we paid $100 a person.

Where do you get info or book this "Discover Scuba Diving Trip"?

Also where is info on Dune buggy excursion? Is this through Carnival or seperate? Is there a age limits?

On our last cruise, we rented a golf cart from Nathan's and had a lot of fun just exploring the island on our own. We found it to be a fascinating place. I wouldn't mind spending a few days there. However, because we spent so much time riding around the island, we didn't leave ourselves any beach time. On our upcoming cruise, Grand Turk is again one of our stops. We've decided to just hang around Margaritaville, go swimming, maybe browse through some of the shops, and walk over to Jack's Shack for lunch.

Where do you get info or book this "Discover Scuba Diving Trip"?

Also where is info on Dune buggy excursion? Is this through Carnival or seperate? Is there a age limits?

Clipsy01, Blue Water Divers (http://www.grandturkscuba.com) is an independent dive shop on Grand Turk which offers PADI Discover Scuba Diving trips. PADI Discover Scuba Diving trips have a minimum age of 10. I believe the Dune buggy excursion is through Carnival with a minimum age of 12. I hope you enjoy your time on Grand Turk!

On our last cruise, we rented a golf cart from Nathan's and had a lot of fun just exploring the island on our own. We found it to be a fascinating place. I wouldn't mind spending a few days there. However, because we spent so much time riding around the island, we didn't leave ourselves any beach time. On our upcoming cruise, Grand Turk is again one of our stops. We've decided to just hang around Margaritaville, go swimming, maybe browse through some of the shops, and walk over to Jack's Shack for lunch.

To get a golf cart did u call a head of time?? I wanted to do this last time we were there but just had a great time snorkeling at the pier and visiting jacks shack. Do u remember how much the cart was?

I contacted Karibarental there in the Turks....carts are 4 seated and run 100 a day and 2 seated atv is 80.....did u feel aFraid leaving cart and exploring... Do they give u a lock? How was driving... On right side? Crazy drivers?

Edited by KSCPA

I contacted Karibarental there in the Turks....carts are 4 seated and run 100 a day and 2 seated atv is 80.....did u feel aFraid leaving cart and exploring... Do they give u a lock? How was driving... On right side? Crazy drivers?

We ( wife, 2 daughters 19 & 9 and I) will be in Grand Turk in June. I have those exact questions as well.

Best way to see the island. Traffic is not heavy and driving on the wrong side of the road is not difficult you just need to think a little more when you approach an intersection;). You take the keys out of the cart when you stop at a beach etc. we used Nathans twice before but they proved to be too difficult to get in touch with this time so we are trying Karib rentals. Love this island and always feel safe there!:)

We just got back from Grand Turk, again, and this time we did the helicopter tour! It was awesome. Grand Turk is beautiful, but from the air its breath taking! We saw stingrays from the air, an old ship wreck, and the pilot said they often seen sharks and on occasion whales (during certain times of the year).

The Helicopter tour co also has their own private beach, you can stay there and swim for a while and when your ready they will take you back to the port. (its only a 5 minute drive)

Well worth the money. I think we paid $100 a person.

What company did you do your helicopter tour with? Did you book before you went or when you were there? Think my husband would love this kind of tour, so eager to find out more.

Thanks

CaribbeanVirgin