New Orleans, LA: carnival elation - Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

ccleveland

we were on the elation 2 years ago with the same iten. and the ship was great!!:)

Cozumel is always a great place. we didn't care for progresso.

we are going back on the elation feb.2nd. going to nachi cocom again in Cozumel and just using the ship while in progresso.

Oh ok well is Progreso pretty at all or just a waste of time? Im wanting to just get off the ship and walk around. This cruise is no excursions... just relaxing and more relaxing lol.

Hows the weather going out of the new Orleans port in feb? I might be doing the feb 2nd cruise to. Its a really decent price.

there is shopping when you get off the ship. several shops.:) also, there is some good excursions to several of the ruins.

we just didn't like the town next to the pier. the pier is about 5 miles long. they bus you to the town.

Progreso is for travelers, not tourists. It's not your cookie cutter, Margaritaville, Carlos and Charlie's port. But it's the gateway to some of the most impressive marvels of the world: the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins. Also, the nearby colonial city of Merida is wonderful for a day trip. Progreso will be great for those seeking a more genuine Mexico experience and for those who enjoy exploring beyond the immediate port area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We have done this trip a few times.

The weather in Jan/Feb is similar to Atlanta. We were able to walk around in shorts and sweatshirts. It was to cool for the pools on the embarkation day and about 1/2 of the last day back.

The water was more choppy but no wear near unpleasant.

Cancun-we just walked around in town, that was our plan so I don't remember how cold it really was but we were in shorts and t shirts in our photos. We have been to Nachi, and it is great.

Progresso- I remember it was warm. I would encourage you to use Autoprogresso and go to Uxmal. They have their own website. We have been to Tulum and Uxmal both and enjoyed Uxmal much more. It is great to be able to climb the ruins.

Cool. Sounds like this place is fun! Now Regarding The Water Being More Ruff.. do you think if I want to take a cruise for calmer seas in Feb then go with the western caribbean? I found a cheap cruise for 5 days on the paradise out if tampa so I hope that's not a bad one?

dont look for negatives while enjoying positives. 91 cruzes just finished, 23rd on Ela, weather is always a guess, hot cold, smoothe or choppy seas, we are not in charge of that, make no promises,,just promise yourselves to have a gr8 time, no matter what. I've experienced all types weather, ships,situations on board many ships and activities.....always come home having had a marvelous time!......!

Just got off elation and we stopped in progresso and Cozumel. I will be doing a review this week, but I will say I loved it! In progresso we took the bus and went to the free beach. Well sorta free lol to get a table you would buy from one of the restaurants that own the tables, we went with Tonys and all of us got drinks and they were pretty reasonable. They were very friendly and the beach was pretty nice. One thing that you will notice is that it is nonstop asking if you want a massage or buy something from a booth. One of my friends did the $20 massage and she said it was one of the best she's had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love to see the review! I would love to go to new Orleans. Is the port beautiful or better than tampa or port canaveral? Only reason I'm worried about ruff seas is because I have a weak stomach lol.

Killer thing about this trip is I have my wife thinking were going camping. Surpirse!!! Haha

I would love to see the review! I would love to go to new Orleans. Is the port beautiful or better than tampa or port canaveral? Only reason I'm worried about ruff seas is because I have a weak stomach lol.

Killer thing about this trip is I have my wife thinking were going camping. Surpirse!!! Haha

we are in the river quite a while..til 10 or so.......u can tell a diff out of it....have had good seas on all, bnut a few days from 26 cruzes from NOLA..

Progreso is for travelers, not tourists. It's not your cookie cutter, Margaritaville, Carlos and Charlie's port. But it's the gateway to some of the most impressive marvels of the world: the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins. Also, the nearby colonial city of Merida is wonderful for a day trip. Progreso will be great for those seeking a more genuine Mexico experience and for those who enjoy exploring beyond the immediate port area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm glad to see someone say this about Progreso. I'm excited for Cozumel, of course, but equally excited about seeing the cultural side Progreso has to offer. :)

If all one is doing is getting off the boat and walking around, just about any port is pretty bland. Unless you really like shopping in a lot of the same shops you can shop at in the Caribbean. Taking a tour that will get you out and away from the port shops is the best way to experience Mexico.

I went last September with my grandmother and we both enjoyed Progreso. We didn't really have a plan other than taking the free bus to Progreso. On the bus, we were told about the beach break at the technotel and the ruin combo. We picked the beach so she didn't have to walk as much. It was so much nicer than I thought it would be. The ocean was very beautiful that day. The resort was pretty clean. My main complaint was that the buffet had too many flies around. I wish it had been inside. The drinks were watered down, but we aren't drinkers. There were many drunks on the way back, but they actually made the trip more entertaining.

I liked the Elation so much, I booked a cruise for my husband, kids, and myself. We leave in a week.

I was in Progresso 2 years ago in February on elation. It was sunny and 85°....beautiful weather. Progresso is not a beautiful place but it's worth getting off the ship even to just walk around. I loved relaxing on the beach and getting an hour massage for $20. That alone was worth getting off the ship. While walking around many restaurants offered 2 margaritas for $5....beer was also cheap. I enjoyed my relaxing day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

When I go on a cruise, I want to see sights that I cant see at home. Progresso is definately one of those ports. Yes it is very different from Cozumel, or the other ports but it is rich in culture and history.

Chichen Itza is a wonderful day trip. One of the wonders of the world?? Ding ding its a no brainer.

But as other posters have said, it is your state of mind and your attitude of what you want out of your cruise.

Yeah I understand about it not being glitzy and sparkly, but look past these expectations and you will not be disappointed

• 2 weeks later...

We're travelers who like to see real places and the unique aspects of each port. However, we're also traveling with three children, including a six-year-old who loves animals, a ten-year-old who loves history and swimming, and a thirteen-year-old who loves food. :)

I know that Mayan ruins are the highlight of Progreso. But we've seen small ruins before, in Belize, and DH is not sure about seeing more. The long ride to Chichen Itza to ruins we can't climb is also out. If we see ruins, we'd like it to be along with something else. We often tour on our own or directly with a local company, but I'd rather stick with Carnival if we're going to be more than an hour's drive away from the ship all day.

I'm considering:

Dzibilchaltun ruins + cenote swim + ranch w/ food and horse show -- something for everyone, but maybe not that unique and exciting

White and Golden cities (Merida and Izamel) w/ horse carriage ride + food -- very appealing to me but possibly boring for the 6-year-old?

Tour of Merida + ranch /w food and horse show

Uxmal and Hacienda Ochill + snack -- also appealing to me but maybe not the youngest?

Xcambo and Dzemul -- have read very little about this one

Edited to add: to the OP, I loved Elation enough to book another cruise on it. New Orleans was a very easy port for embark and disembark, the city itself is fascinating, and the ride down the river is unique.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

Just off the Magic 2/8 - 2/14. While in Cozumel I snorkeled in the Carribean for the first time. We had previosly scheduled an excursion out of Progresso to Uxmal Mayan ruins. Since the snorkeling adventure was still in my heart I changed my excursion in Progresso to the "Biking and Cenote Snorkeling" adventure. WOW.....WOW. The ride from port is a little over an hour. Our tourguide, Elsa, was wonderfully entertaining and educational. When we arrived after passing through a really poor little delapidated village then came upon a place where you can select a bike. DO THIS QUICKLY as some bikes are more in need of repair than others. We then biked about 2 miles through the wilderness on rocky trails to the first cenote. Words cannot describe the tropical, magical beauty I was witnessing. When I get the picture thingy figured out I will share We were able to snorkel in crystal clear fresh water. We traveled to another cenote, enjoyed more snorkeling and then biked to a small restaurant to have a light and enjoyable Mayan meal. The trip back was uneventful as most of us napped on and off. They only allow a maximum of 20 people per excursion. If you dont want to ride the bikes you can just take the van to the enotes and restaurant. I will return to do this someday and bring DS, DD and friends. It was truely an awsome experience to witness what nature has created.