Not sure what to do in this port

Noel182002

We are not in port very long for here....we are in there from 7-1...so I figure by the time we get off it will be close to 8...and we like to be back on an hour before we are supposed to be...so I'm assuming time will be 12? So then we would want to be on at 1130 at the latest....What is something fun here to do and enjoy? I wanted to do an AI but I know we won't get our monies worth with that time frame....Just FYI...we are a family of four...two adults and two little ones 4 and 7

All the beach clubs will be open. Just take a taxi to Mahahual and then walk down the malecon and find a lounger ( nice lounger hawker) at a place you like and park it. REvoews on this board point to Blue Kay, Tropicante, YaYas and Pez Quadro as better places to go. There are a couple of other places further south of Pez Quadro and Nohoch Kay (which is an AI) but they might be a tad far to walk with little ones.

I say since you are not going to be in port for a long time, you obvioiusly don't want to pay an AI price.

Just grab the open air taxi for $3pp/$2pp for child and head over to the Malecon and go to Blue Kay. It's the first stop that you come to on the bus and it's beautiful there. It's free to get in and they only want you to buy your food/drinks there. The beach is beautiful, the water is shallow and calm and if you are in to snorkeling, it's super easy there at the beach and pretty good too.

We went there a few months ago and for the 3 of us, we ate and drank all day and it only cost us $48 for the entire day. When you are ready to leave, they'll call you a cab and it's there within a few minutes. Very easy to do.

I have a complete review in my signature line with hundreds of pictures. :)

We are not in port very long for here....we are in there from 7-1...so I figure by the time we get off it will be close to 8...and we like to be back on an hour before we are supposed to be...so I'm assuming time will be 12? So then we would want to be on at 1130 at the latest....What is something fun here to do and enjoy? I wanted to do an AI but I know we won't get our monies worth with that time frame....Just FYI...we are a family of four...two adults and two little ones 4 and 7

To me, this is really a beach port. But that said, our first Mayan ruins with our 8 year old were there...Chachobeen. If you are going to be "beached out" you can always book this through the cruise line. It is less than an hour ride away and pretty cool.

Does Blue Kay have wifi by chance? This seems like the cheapest and easiest option since I might just sleep in that day and slowly make my way to the port.

It most certainly does AND it's free AND it's also on the beach. No need to head to the main building/restaurant area like most places. :D

Mistsugilry I must ask---are you the paid spokesperson for blue Kay?!?!?! If not you should be! Your reviews and consistent follow up are making me consider stopping there.

This brings me to my question-I don't get around as well as I used to so how much walking between the trolley stop to the actual beach area?

Thanks for your help and again---you should be getting checks in the mail!:D

deb

Mistsugilry I must ask---are you the paid spokesperson for blue Kay?!?!?! If not you should be! Your reviews and consistent follow up are making me consider stopping there.

This brings me to my question-I don't get around as well as I used to so how much walking between the trolley stop to the actual beach area?

Thanks for your help and again---you should be getting checks in the mail!:D

deb

Haha, don't I wish I was a paid spokesperson for most of the places I have been to because I know that I have brought a lot of places business with my extensive reviews. But, I do it for the cruisers so that they know what's out there and if it's something they personally will like.

As for the trolley stop, they stop right next door to Blue Kay. You basically walk from Senior Frogs back entry to next door. Right beyond that is the malecon walkway and then the beach. I don't think it's that much walking at all. Everything is fairly close.

I was trying to find a decent picture that would give a better perspective.

This is a picture of the malecon and you can see the beach/sand area and beyond that the ocean. Not far at all across the malecon.

PB130081%20copy-L.jpg

Now this is standing on the malecon looking back at the restaurant. You can see that the restaurant sits right basically on the malecon.

PB130150%20copy-L.jpg

Right beside the restaurant is the entrance...or at least the way we came in. I'm pretty sure you could have walked in between the buildings of Senior Frogs and Blue Kay and save some time and walking, but at the time, I didn't realize that the place was free and I thought we had to check in at the front desk, which is where we headed. But you can go in that way too.

This is the "office" area and just a little walk way.

PB130160%20copy-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When you're driving down the main road to the malecon there is a driveway with a Blue Kay sign on it just before you get to the first little road leading to the malecon.

Or you can take the first little road leading to the malecon and then take the malecon past Sr Frogs back to Blue Kay. You can park in Blue Kays lot right by the malecon.

Edited by tallyho8

can u get there by golf cart if not where do u park it and how far is the walk?We rented golf carts but I want to go to Malecon and Blue kay

Are you renting the golf cart right at the port? If so, here's your easy directions. I made a google earth map for you and it's super easy to get there.

Now this is the way that all the taxi's and traffic goes to the Malecon. I do see there are other "roads" appearing on the map, but I'm not sure if you can go down them. When I pulled the "person" down on google earth, I did find road-blocks of trees and shrubs, so they might not be accessible, but then again, they might be now since this last update for this place was 2010. LOL

Here's the map and where you turn. Follow the white outline I made.

directions-XL.jpg

You will head out the gates at the port and down the split street. You will come to the end and see a pyramid type building in the middle of the street like this:

PB130023%20copy-L.jpg

You go around it and head left on down the street.

At the end of that street is another area that has a boat in the middle of the street. You go around that too and to the left and keep going.

P5160034-L.jpg

Then you will come to the end and see this and turn left.

PB130029%20copy-L.jpg

This will dead end into the light house. Beyond that...well that's the ocean.

PB130328%20copy-L.jpg

You turn down the little street right before that and look to your left. That's Blue Kay. You will see the entrance and parking there.

PB130037%20copy-L.jpg

I hope that helps.

Edited by mitsugirly

Hello Mitsugirly,

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering if your upcoming cruise is on the Carnival Pride or the Pride of America. We will be on Poa on 4/18 and I have always followed your review's. If it is Hawaii, I would be very curious as to which excursions you are leaning to.

Thanks...

Hello Mitsugirly,

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I was wondering if your upcoming cruise is on the Carnival Pride or the Pride of America. We will be on Poa on 4/18 and I have always followed your review's. If it is Hawaii, I would be very curious as to which excursions you are leaning to.

Thanks...

Sorry, it is on the Carnival Pride. :)