Distilled water for CPAP

Peery5

Does anyone know if any of the major cruise lines sell distilled water for CPAP machines. I find that now I have to take my CPAP on our upcoming HAL cruise. I have searched back several pages on this board and cannot find any information regarding this. I hate the thought of carrying 1 or 2 gallon jugs with me.

I know that cruise ships use desalinized water but have read that the minerals used in the process can harm the CPAP. Any information regarding the availability of distilled water or using the ships desalinized water would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I've never sailed HAL and don't know if all their ships have the same service, but you could probably use bottled drinking water instead of ship's tap water, in a pinch. I often use tap water in mine when I travel and find that all that it needs when I get home is a good scrubbing of the metal base of the reservoir.

Yes, RCI provides it free. We are sailing Princess in a week or so and I don't even know if they will provide it or not. If not, I guess I'll be using the overpriced bottled water again.

Thanks Everyone:

I sent an email to HAL just after I posted this question but they haven't responded. Bottled water sounds like the best way to go. I'd rather pay a little more than have to travel with a gallon jug or two.

Tom

Carol, you are exactly right. I received an email from HAL yesterday telling me the same. I called the number they gave me and ordered it. The distilled water along with an extension cord for my CPAP will be in our cabin when we board.

Does anyone know what NCL offers to help with distilled water for cpap:confused:

I had the same question and just got off the phone with the disabilities desk at NCL and they told me that if you call them 14 -21 days in advance of sailing they will put distilled water in your cabin. She mentioned something that it also had to be in writing but skipped over that. There is no charge.

Our next cruise on NCL will be in October. We have sailed with them about 12 times and I did not know of this service.

Hope this helps.

We have been told that the water on the ship is treated with reverse osmosis and is appropriate in use for Cpap machines. I have sailed on NCL 25 times and used their tap water and had no residue in the machine. One less thing to worry about.

We have been told that the water on the ship is treated with reverse osmosis and is appropriate in use for Cpap machines. I have sailed on NCL 25 times and used their tap water and had no residue in the machine. One less thing to worry about.

Eileen, Reverse Osmosis is not the same as distilled or deionized water. Deionized is completely free as is Distilled. Reverse Osmosis is about 90% free of impurities. I will use ship water if I must but would much rather have DI or Distilled water. If they give it away with a phone call, I am sure going to call them.

Pete

Carol, you are exactly right. I received an email from HAL yesterday telling me the same. I called the number they gave me and ordered it. The distilled water along with an extension cord for my CPAP will be in our cabin when we board.

Glad I could help. Have a wonderful cruise on the Noordam. She's a great ship; one of my favorites.

Archived