Good snorkeling without the crowds and vendors

cruiseatick

We were in Rotan a year ago and did Bowden tour and it was great except for the stop at Tatiana beach the beach was way to crowded and the vendors were all over us and it is hard to relax when you are being pestered by local vendor ,does anybody know of a quite beach day or resort that is not so crowded ,we like to snorkel so that would be a plus .thanks for your help

We are looking for the exact same thing and I've been doing hours of research (both on the web and here on CC) and I'm leaning towards booking with Roatan Sun Splash Tours.

They appear to have 2 websites, but the contact phone number is the same: http://www.snorkelroatantours.com/ and http://www.roatansunsplashtours.com/

I'm planning to call them tomorrow to see if I can narrow down the differences in their snorkeling tours as it appears they have several

Do Inifinity Bay or Gran Roatan then. Private resorts but all beaches are public. The best snorkeling on West Bay is in front of there. Actually, the best clear snorkeling from the beach is West Bay. If your a good swimmer, go to the second reef.

Do Inifinity Bay or Gran Roatan then. Private resorts but all beaches are public. The best snorkeling on West Bay is in front of there. Actually, the best clear snorkeling from the beach is West Bay. If your a good swimmer, go to the second reef.

We usually snorkel right in front of Infinity Bay, is the second reef near there?

thank you!

One is not going to get away from the crowds or the vendors on West Bay beach. The OP may be better off with say Free Radical or Upachaya for snorkeling without crowds. I do not think either one offer a beach.

Maya Key may do the trick.. or Little French Kay but that place can be a mad house and one need take a boat to the reef. Anyplace else along the island the reef is to far out for the average person to swim it.

Houseflipper~ I believe this thread as a map or two of the reef system off of West Bay.

Edit ~ Fantasy Island offers day passes and if you are willing to swim the channel over to CocoView's "front yard" that would suit.

Edited by Guest 2000

This has some great info on the reef and snorkeling at West Bay. A lot of people swim way out there... another option is to hire a boat to take you over there and hang out. Depends on how confident of a swimmer you are. http://www.snorkeling-report.com/spot/west-bay-roatan-honduras/

Edited by BrotherCraig

• 2 weeks later...
This has some great info on the reef and snorkeling at West Bay. A lot of people swim way out there... another option is to hire a boat to take you over there and hang out. Depends on how confident of a swimmer you are. http://www.snorkeling-report.com/spot/west-bay-roatan-honduras/

I have stayed in Roatan on land-based trips and there is great snorkeling in West End. However, there is a lot of water taxi traffic and I didn't feel as safe as other places.

Just got back from an 11 day stay on Roatan; spent the last 4 days at Half Moon Bay, which is located in the West End community. This is slow season for cruises there, but there was one day that a ship was in while we were there; it may well meet your desires. The snorkeling is very good from there, and none of the vendors seemed to be using the property as "home base" for groups (there were a couple of groups that stopped in for a short time, just to enjoy the view & have a drink). There were also two snorkel groups who hit the area, but they were both only there for a short time - one coming by boat, one by bus. They did a snorkel stop, then moved on to other sites.

There's a fresh water shower at the exit from the water, the food at the restaurant is very, very good, and they have cold beer & a full bar.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you get there? I looked in the site but there is no mention of transportation.

I would like to know more as well. This will be our first visit to Honduras, and the options seem overwhelming at this point in my research. Would like a good island tour OR a day at the beach minus the vendors. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

If you want to get away from the crowds, the east end of the island is the way to go.

We had a great day with Free Radical - spent the day on a beautiful catamaran, with excellent service, food, drinks and a nice, relaxing snorkel stop and never even saw another boat. And they keep the numbers to 15 - 20 people (it is a large catamaran that could certainly hold 40+) so you have plenty of room to relax on board while you are provided with great food and drinks from the excellent crew.

This was the best excursion of our trip. I was surprised there were not more reviews on this Board but there are hundreds of excellent reviews on Trip Advisor (Goggle "Radical Adventures Roatan") you can check out also.