Family Mediterranean Summer Cruising?

212cruiser

Can anyone post their experiences about summer cruising with the family in the Mediterranean? We have older teenagers who have done the Caribbean several times, and we're considering either an eastern Mediterranean or northern capitals type cruise next summer.

I'm curious as to the length of the cruise you would suggest, before and after cruise land excursions, and your comments about the cruise line you took.

Thanks!

With teenagers I recommend Royal Caribbean as they have a lot of entertainment for the kids, although I like the itinerary with Celebrity, but they can be kind of stuffy for kids.

We like to stay in our departure city two days before we leave to rest from jet lag and to explorer the city before getting on the ship. Also because after the cruise is over we are so tired (the Med. Cruises are exhausting, but fun!) we just want to go home.

I took my two teens (14 DS and 18 DD) on Galaxy in 8/05 on an 11 nighter out of Rome. They had a really great time. They enjoyed Rome and all of the other ports. The only "unhappy" time was a very hot tour of Delos. They enjoyed the history of Delos, but it was very very hot. I went from the shadow of one column to another to stay out of the blazing sun. They really liked Istanbul, Rhodes, Ephesus, Santorini, Athens and Naples/Pompei. The only thing we did not like about Galaxy was that the pools close too early, so no after dinner swim. The teens found enough night life on the ship to keep them happy and they made several friends. The two or three day pre-cruise stay over in/near your port city is good advice, especially if you are coming from the west coast. The time change is a killer.

My DS enjoyed this last trip so much, we are going back next August for a 12 nighter out of Rome again, but on Legend of the Seas. This trip offers a really nice mix of destinations, including Greece, Turkey, Egypt and Cyprus. We are planning five nights in Italy pre-cruise to get over the time change from Seattle, and to enjoy the Italian experience. Let's hope they keep the pool open after dinner on Legend.

'Miner

Archived