San Francisco walking question

jjduck

On our last visit to San Francisco, we walked from the ship to Chinatown and continued to Coit Tower. This time, we're thinking of walking to Lombard Street (the switchbacks) and then onward to Golden Gate Park. It looks to be about six-miles one way. We're wondering how "safe" it is to walk in these areas and the best route to take from the ship?

Also, is it possible to walk from the ship to the Golden Gate Bridge?

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

Noreen.

We lived on Lombard (the straight part). SF is a safe city to walk. But get a good transit map (watch for pickpockets) and take the local transit any where you want to go. Walking can be tricky - you don't know where the hills are and they can be very steep. Busses and street cars run very often so take advantage and save your energy for all the great stuff in to do in the city.

From the ship, walk straight up the street towards Fishermans wharf, turn left on Taylor st, and Lumbard st will be about 5 bks ( give or take) up the street, turn right and follow the street to the to the staicase, it starts to get really steep even before you get to the stairs.

I know how to get to Golden Gate Park but there will be about 7 streets you will be turning on and i don't know all the names, i usually drive to the park, i do use Lumbard part of the way to get there though.

Maybe someone else walks it and knows all the street names. I think yorr calculations are pretty close, should be 6 or 7 miles.

The walk up Lumbard is very safe, I walk it all the time.

It is a great walk to the Golden Gate Bridge from the ship. Just continue along the Embarcadero (waterfront) and then Bay street until Crissy Field. But, why stop there? Consider walking across the bridge to Sausalito (a quaint town with shops & restaurants) then either take the bus back to SF or a ferry from Sausalito will drop you at the Ferry Bldg (bottom of Market St. & Embarcadero) about 3/4 mile from the ship & pier.

Archived