Anyone else excited about Rio?

BBMacLaird

I have had no information regarding a Rio shuttle for our afternoon, Dec 12, prior to disembarkation the following day. I have tried here on CC, and a direct email to Azamara CLub Cruises. Since a shuttle is an advertised inclusion, shall I assume that one will be available? We just want to explore the central part of the city before staying for two extra days to see other highlights. Thanks in advance.

Please refer to my previous posts of 13 September [specifically, my comment as to the complete lack of Land Discovery opportunities on 1 March at Devil's Island, French Guiana] and of 18 September [specifically, my comment that--aside from the AzAmazing Evening--only one Land Discovery offering has been posted during our 37 hour port call at Barbados on 3/4 March]...

You ought know that both issues persist--to my mind, somewhat inexcusable given that final payment on both my cruises has now passed--and I just sent off an e-mail to the Miami Shore Ex Team seeking their prompt reply, and hopefully, resolution...

I am confident that you referred this matter to them in the past but would appreciate it if you would again reiterate the need for action/sense of immediacy that I conveyed to the team in today's note...

Thanks and regards,

--Mike

Hi Xport and Airhose, I'll see if what I can find out.

Elbon, thanks so much for your advice & first hand experience. The H.Stern complimentary bus is a good idea. I took that tour years ago...even managed to get out without buying anything!

Please refer to my previous posts of 13 September [specifically, my comment as to the complete lack of Land Discovery opportunities on 1 March at Devil's Island, French Guiana] and of 18 September [specifically, my comment that--aside from the AzAmazing Evening--only one Land Discovery offering has been posted during our 37 hour port call at Barbados on 3/4 March]...

You ought know that both issues persist--to my mind, somewhat inexcusable given that final payment on both my cruises has now passed--and I just sent off an e-mail to the Miami Shore Ex Team seeking their prompt reply, and hopefully, resolution...

I am confident that you referred this matter to them in the past but would appreciate it if you would again reiterate the need for action/sense of immediacy that I conveyed to the team in today's note...

Thanks and regards,

--Mike

Hello Xport Mike,

re. Devils Island, unfortunately I don't have good news for you. "Please note that there are no organized activities available on Devil's Island. A park representative provides information when guests go ashore. It is a a self-exploration destination.There are no guides nor tour operators that can provide a ship's tour on Devil's Island."

re. Barbados, we are in contact with the local tour operator there. I expect to have more clarification by Wednesday. Fingers crossed I can bring you better news on this port.

Bonnie

Bonnie....thank you for checking into this.

Ellbon......thank you for your suggestion wrt Stern.....we aren't shoppers though.

I am and never done it. .but it takes you to an area you can al least walk on the sidewalk near the beach . tere an H Stern booth in the terminal adn it maps where it goes. .beats beng in a so/so area with nothing to do.. after 3 times in Rio i would sit at the pool or use the free internet at terminal. all are options.

I do understand that tourism is quite undeveloped in French Guiana/at Devil's Island and--while I was hopeful for a different answer--appreciate your having brought closure to the open issue...

Upon advice as to Barbados--that one does perplex me--I'll complete my purchase of Land Discoveries for Journey's 19 February sailing from Rio to Miami... I otherwise know what I hope to see/do during our other port calls and, aside from securing my Brazilian visa [i'll work that upon my seasonal return to Florida next week], I'm good to go...

Still excited/psyched about Rio! Thanks so much for your assistance along the way; these sailings promise to be truly memorable!

--Mike

Edited by Xport

I received a very nice/very prompt reply from Elaine--who's affiliated with Miami Shore Ex--this afternoon and, after just looking, note that the Land Discoveries section of the website has been updated today...

An entry has been added to explain the self-exploration opportunity at Devil's Island... While there is no formal tour--as you had indicated and I came to understand--I do think the new text is a vast improvement over the former which held out hope that something might eventually be offered... Nice job with infinitely better, guest-focused communication!

In addition, a second tour--a 4X4 trip which includes a visit to see the noted green monkeys--is now being offered on each of the two afternoons we will be in Barbados... I did a 4X4 excursion when last there--it included a visit to Harrison Cave rather than the monkey encounter [which a friend enjoyed and recommends]--and had fun... Seemingly, there may be other Land Discovery options offered at Bridgetown but, for now, I'm pleased to have a different excursion opportunity--in addition to our AzAmazing Evening [polo!]--during each of our two days there...

Sincerest thanks again for your many intercessions with the Land Discoveries Team relative to tour opportunities during Journey's sailings of 7 and 19 February... I know your efforts will not only enhance my personal experiences but will also enhance the experiences/opportunities of my cruise mates...

--Mike

I really enjoy Brazilian music and, per Trip Advisor, no place does it better and in a more interesting venue in Rio than The Scenarium... It gets great reviews and is ranked #1 for Rio nightlife...

Also purchased my box seat for the Sambadrome Parades today...

As Bonnie initially asked when she started this thread, I'm very excited about Rio!

Having never been to Brazil before, would this trip to The Scenarium be better than the Azamazing Evening to the samba show at Plataforma 1? We are currently signed up for the Azamazing Evening on our Dec 13 cruise, but this venue gets poorly reviewed on Trip Advisor. I'd gladly pay for the trip to The Scenarium if it would be more worthwhile.

Michael

Having never been to Brazil before, would this trip to The Scenarium be better than the Azamazing Evening to the samba show at Plataforma 1? We are currently signed up for the Azamazing Evening on our Dec 13 cruise, but this venue gets poorly reviewed on Trip Advisor. I'd gladly pay for the trip to The Scenarium if it would be more worthwhile.

Michael

I rather go to the Scenarium.. i wrote somewhere on here about it. .three floors of very cool objects on the walls.. do you dance/ i did there. you can buy food and drinks..you drive to an area that has hair salons etc open at night -then you walk into this place and go wow! skip the Azamazing evening for this... plus if Trip Advisor says no -why go..

I believe that we are on different cruises... I'm doing back-to-back sailings on 7 February [round-trip Rio with port calls at Montevideo, Buenos Aires. Punta del Este, back to Rio for an overnight coincident with Carnival, and Buzios] and 19 February [Rio to Miami via Salvador De Bahia, Recife, Belém, Devil's Island (French Guiana), Barbados, and Virgin Gorda] and we seemingly have different choices... For us, the AzAmazing Evening on the first cruise is in Buenos Aires [to Tango Porteño; I attended the show while there after a Celebrity cruise in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it/look forward to going again] and our AzAmazing Evening on the second cruise is to attend a Polo Match at Lion's Castle in Barbados [a new experience for me].

For us there are two paid, post dinner Land Discovery offerings--to The Scenarium or to The Plataforma--on 19 February... My reading suggests that The Scenarium [which gets great reviews] is all about Brazilian music--with the opportunity to dance if so inclined--while Plataforma [which gets mixed reviews] offers a Samba show... For me, the decision to do The Scenarium on the evening of our turn-around was an easy one as I'll be attending the Carnival Parade [really, a competition among Rio's best samba schools; it apparently goes on all night (and tickets are very pricey)] at The Sambadrome on 16 February...

I'm not sure the decision is necessarily as clear-cut for you... Samba is at the core of Rio's culture/folklore and The Plataforma Show apparently gives one the opportunity to experience a sampling of Carnival's true highlight without the wild, crowded street scene that accompanies the event... The Scenarium is apparently a terrific, interesting venue--attracting both locals and visitors--with great Brazilian music and the opportunity to join in the dancing or watch others dance without all the costumes/glitz... Those are very different opportunities [but please validate my research; my decisions were made in the context of all I'll be doing in Rio/my desire to mix things up a bit] and it comes down to your personal entertainment preferences and the memories and experiences you'd like to take away from your time there... Fact is that I may well have chosen to take in The Plataforma Samba Show if I were not also attending the Carnival Parade/festivities [as Robin (ellbon) also did in the past]...

This is my first visit to Rio too and I'm really psyched about it... Whatever our choices, let's both enjoy every moment of it and have a great trip!

For what it's worth, hope this helps...

--Mike

Edited by Xport

I received a very nice/very prompt reply from Elaine--who's affiliated with Miami Shore Ex--this afternoon and, after just looking, note that the Land Discoveries section of the website has been updated today...

An entry has been added to explain the self-exploration opportunity at Devil's Island... While there is no formal tour--as you had indicated and I came to understand--I do think the new text is a vast improvement over the former which held out hope that something might eventually be offered... Nice job with infinitely better, guest-focused communication!

In addition, a second tour--a 4X4 trip which includes a visit to see the noted green monkeys--is now being offered on each of the two afternoons we will be in Barbados... I did a 4X4 excursion when last there--it included a visit to Harrison Cave rather than the monkey encounter [which a friend enjoyed and recommends]--and had fun... Seemingly, there may be other Land Discovery options offered at Bridgetown but, for now, I'm pleased to have a different excursion opportunity--in addition to our AzAmazing Evening [polo!]--during each of our two days there...

Sincerest thanks again for your many intercessions with the Land Discoveries Team relative to tour opportunities during Journey's sailings of 7 and 19 February... I know your efforts will not only enhance my personal experiences but will also enhance the experiences/opportunities of my cruise mates...

--Mike

Thank you Mike for writing again to say you've been contacted, and that you appreciate the help. I've passed along this thread to ShoreEx/Land Discoveries. I know they'll appreciate hearing from you.

And as I've said before, thank you for letting us know about holes in our offerings and/or web functionality. Without your diligence these holes may have gone unnoticed.

Bonnie

Without your active "listening" here, your sincere desire to understand the issues that I identified, and your advocacy, I don't know how effective I'd have been in trying to bring my observations to the forefront with any sort of priority for my benefit, the benefit of my cruise mates, and--as I've always believed--the benefit of Azamara...

As promised, I purchased the last six of my tours yesterday [for a total of fourteen not including the AzAmazing Evenings]... So yes, I'm really excited about Rio and all of the other experiences surrounding my visit!

With my sincerest appreciation,

--Mike

Hi Michael

Just booked this cruise as a last minute birthday pressie..looking forward to it as well..2nd this year on Azamara..we sailed the Quest in Croatia last July. We live half a world away so we l be arriving 2 days before and staying 3 days after in Buenos aires..any one has any tips re hotels in Rio and Buenos Aires pls

steph and Joseph

Hi Michael

Just booked this cruise as a last minute birthday pressie..looking forward to it as well..2nd this year on Azamara..we sailed the Quest in Croatia last July. We live half a world away so we l be arriving 2 days before and staying 3 days after in Buenos aires..any one has any tips re hotels in Rio and Buenos Aires pls

steph and Joseph

The Hilton in Buenos Aries is great and in a safe area, we stayed there before and after our Azamara cruise (we back to backed so came in and out of BA) Do you really want 3 nights in BA - we had one night only before heading up to the Iguazu Falls for what was a trip of a lifetime

Hi Michael

steph and Joseph

It depends of your budget. In Buenos Aires we have stayed in a hotel called Fierro. It is located in a not so tourist neighborhood and for this reason is apparently safer. The neighbourhood was reccommended to us by friends living in Buenos Aires. Have a look at the reviews on trip advisor.

For next time, we might try a hotel in Recoleta or in Puerto Madero, just in order to get to know a new neighboorhood.

I have gone with the Four Season and no one told me it was under rehab.. ig not for the pool I would of really hated it.. i think one neds at oleast 2 full days to see everything. I went from the falls to Rio on a land tour.