Thanksgiving Cruise NOS 11/20 - 11/27 - My Review

estaggs

Just returned home from the NOS Thanksgiving Eastern Caribbean cruise. The cruise was awesome. Some background on us. This was my husband’s and my (39 and 35 years old) third cruise (all with RCI). My daughter’s second cruise (11 years old) and my parents (64 and 62) first cruise. We had 2 balcony cabins on deck 6 (6612 and 6610). Cabins were awesome – Cabin attendants were awesome. No complaints at all.

The overall cruise experience was fabulous for both us and my parents. Dining table was 410 and our wait staff was beyond belief. The food was, in my opinion, delicious. If the quality of food is decreasing (as is the claim by so many people), then I can’t imagine how good the food was “back then.” Everything was just delicious.

Given the fact that the ship was filled to capacity (3500 people, 800 of them children), I would have to say that the crowd control was handled beautifully and the kids were incredibly well-behaved. There were issues getting elevators, but if the wait was too long, I just took the stairs (that probably explains why I only gained 3 pounds instead of 7 or 8).

The weather was fabulous – I think we only had one cloudy day. The ports were beautiful.

The shows were good – Love and Marriage was hilarious, Quest was awesome. The Royal Caribbean Singers & Dancers were talented and kept us well entertained. The Cruise Director, Ken Rush, and his staff did a good job handling the activities.

The kids program was amazing. My daughter hardly spent any time with us as the activities kept her busy, entertained, and out of trouble. She was always where she said she would be and I can say that I didn’t see any kids acting up.

Embarkation was a breeze. Departure was another story. Trying to get 3500 people off a ship and through immigration has to be a logistical nightmare. Someone has to be the last person off the ship and since we were driving, we were in the last group. My only complaint is that if you’re in the last group, they should let you stay in your stateroom until 9:00 or 9:30, instead of making you leave at 8:00. Not a show-stopper at all, just a suggestion.

Although the ship was filled to capacity, I would take this cruise again tomorrow! I never saw a crew member that wasn’t smiling and didn’t go out of their way to help.

I will happily sail with Royal Caribbean again.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Estaggs -- We must have been very close to you in the dining room -- we were a group of 17 with three 6-top tables by the window -- 414, 415 & 416. Glad you had a great time. We did, too!!

- PAGA

6 RCCL

4 Celebrity

Sbell1

We took the skyride to Paradise Point in St. Thomas and went to Orient Beach in St. Maarten. We didn't do anything but walk around in San Juan and in Nassau, the weather was too cool & cloudy (Floridian here) to go to the beach / swimming resort we had booked. So, we ended up walking around Nassau and doing some shopping. Paga - we were by the window too, so we must have been close to you. Your review was good. Going back to work was tough today, but we've got to start working towards the next cruise. I wish I read better things about the cruises out of San Juan as I really like the itineraries. Does anyone have anything nice to say? If not, we may try Mariner or Explorer next. Also, has anyone done the "smaller" ships after a voyager class ship? I think we'd feel like we were missing something if the Promenade weren't there. Any advice?

I absolutely LOVED the Southern Caribbean itinerary. Back in 2001 when I did it, Grandeur was on that run. Now I think it is Adventure. (I have only been on Vision class before, which I found breathtaking in itself, so it will be interesting to see the Voyager [Eagle] class when I go on Navigator Eastern Caribbean on 12/18.) I loved all the islands we visited -- Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. Leaving from San Juan was no problem at all (we were able to fly direct from Chicago) although airfare to SJ is a bit more than to FL. We went in late Feb. and the weather was absolutely picture perfect every single day.

• 1 year later...

Can you tell me if the pullman in cabin 6610 is over the sofa or is it on top of the twin beds. I have a choice of 6610 hump or 8390 aft. The 8390 aft has the pullman on top of the other beds. Can not determine where it is on 6610. Would perfer not to have the 14 yr old boy above us.

Archived