A Review of the Magic - 9/28/14 - Enter at your own Risk!

cmcsharon

I don’t usually write reviews. I probably shouldn’t. I’m already starting to feel giddy from the power…………..…CARNIVAL…feel the WRATH of my WORDS! …all you private EXCURSION VENDORS…….tremble at my MIGHT!

Yeah…I can tell already…this isn’t going to end well.

Let me start with a quick public service announcement…Carnival Haters and Complainers…there’s nothing to see here. Move along.

For those of you that are already tired of me…here’s the Cliff Notes version:

Faster to the Fun – Worth it

Cove Balcony – My kind of place

Cabin and Ship Air Conditioning – Nice and cool…no complaints

Food – Plenty and tasty…again, no complaints

Cheers Program – I’m a light drinker but I got it anyway…would do it again

Galveston Port – Easy

Carnival Magic – Perfect!

That’s it for the quick recap. If you’re along for the ride for the long version…I’m guessing…insomnia? Or, you’re a relative and feel obligated. (Hi Mom!)

Here goes…it’s been 4 years since my last cruise………and…….…I can still smell the fresh paint. The linens had never been slept on…….. :o wrong story.

Let's start again...on this trip it’s…me, my 21 year old son…and, my 18 year old daughter…along with an assorted number of minions (I mean…relatives) totaling 8, all traveling from Northern California. Hubby doesn’t like to cruise…so he stayed home. (Just in case you’re wondering…not liking to cruise is not considered…”reasonable”…grounds for divorce…I checked.) We were cruising in celebration of my daughter’s graduation from high school…and, it’s the Western Caribbean itinerary of Montego Bay - Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Chapter 1 – Planning (How to properly pack a Cap & Gown, Shuttle Shock and Locked Up Abroad!)

I booked the cruise about 6 months out on an ES rate, using the gnome people (you know, the one’s that want you to go - you smell…or, something like that)…I don’t really like using mythical creatures as go betweens…but…those gnomes had some great extra perks…and, they came through. (Score one for the pointy hat freaks!)

I started doing some cruise research on cruise critic around June or July and kept coming up with these references to a crazy mom that made her daughter wear her graduation cap & gown on the ship. This became my new, go to, threat for my daughter…don’t make me pack your Cap & Gown! (Worked like a charm!)

This was also my first experience traveling with my children when they were both considered “legal” adults. (Oh my!) When I asked them what they’d want to do in the ports…my son was quick to respond with…explore the seedy underbellies of third world countries.

Great. Time to increase the travel budget…I’m now booking port excursions! And then I made it perfectly clear that none of us are going to be featured on the Locked Up Abroad reality show. Repeat after me….…Locked Up Abroad = Muy No Bueno! There will be NO underbellies on this trip!

The one thing I didn’t look into before booking this cruise…was Galveston. Galveston is an island. (Who knew?) Galveston is a long way from the airport. Galveston has some sort of Shuttle mafia or something going on………you, shiny new CHEAPER shuttle services try and come into our turf…we’re going to cut you off at the knees. Yeah…didn’t know about this part. If you’re coming in a day or two early…just be aware. I ended up booking a great deal for the 8 of us to take us from the airport to the hotel in Galveston. Pick us up the morning of the cruise at the hotel and take us to the ship. And then, pick us up at the ship at the end of the cruise and take us back to the airport. Great price…really nice people…I was pleased. But wait…just FIVE days before we leave…you guessed it…the mafia! I get a cryptic email…sorry to inform you, as of today we are no longer in business. Are you kidding me…now I’m looking over my shoulder and checking under the sheets for a horse head.

I quickly call the minions and tell them to book the return transfers through Carnival…I’ll figure something else out for the trip in (thank you Sam’s Limo…as I begrudgingly pay the increased mafia price)…and, we’ll just have to figure something out about how to get to the ship…the morning of the cruise…once we’re in Galveston (which is an island…who knew?).

Sorry for the recurring, who knew – theme about Galveston. It was an issue with the minions. Apparently, I failed to mention that Galveston was, in fact, an island! (Am I the only one with Google?) And…it’s not like the minions had to swim there with their luggage strapped on their backs…we got to the “island”…via freeway! Just saying.

Next up (not sure when)…Chapter 2 – To Galveston we go (Freak Storm, Humidity and a lot of Y’Alls)

Definitely going to be following this one even though I have no plans for a Magic cruise, I like your style.

And oof, Galveston....I've cruised out of there once, and while the town was cute and we had a great time once we settled into our hotel, it was one of the longest pre-cruise travel times we've ever had! I'm pretty sure I fell asleep for awhile in the cab from the airport to our hotel....

Great start really looking forward to the rest.

However I am new to Carnival so need some references

Please can you explain....

Faster to the Fun

Cove Balcony

Cheers Program

Carnival Magic – Perfect!

Im looking forward to following your review.

We are booked on Magic, same itinerary on 22nd March next year, me & other half. We are new to Carnival & only our 3rd cruise. Strangely this is just the 2 of us, no kids & no grandkids, due to school holidays in the U.K.

Really looking forward to this cruise,, having read all the wonderful reviews on here, & following the cruise critic boards.

We really want FTTF, but check it several times a day & its sold out. Also going to book the Cheers on the 2nd day. Never been to the Caribbean, so super excited.

I didnt know Galveston was an island!!. We have friends in Houston , who also have a house in Galveston so get to spend a week with them before cruising.

Cant wait to read more of your review, and any tips you have.

Jan xx

Edited by Jan the City Fan

This is going to be a fun review. I can't wait for more. I am liking your style, and please bring on the pictures. It will take me back to my Breeze cruise. There will be no eating...sleeping...or any activities reserved for everyone else. You have an important project to finish, so get to it, ya hear? :D.

Chapter 2 – There but for the grace of God go I…is that how it goes?

HOORAY…I’M ON VACATION!! It’s finally here! Our flight out of Sacramento leaves at 6:00am. That means, we have to be at the airport at 5:00am. That means, we have to leave the house at 4:00am…that means…getting up at 3:00am….hooray…I’m on vacation…snore. (Note to self…book later flights in future!)

Our flight is on Southwest and they email us a day ahead about a new service…you can download an app on your devices and have access to live TV for free on their flights. Yay…technology! (Or is it?)

We make it to the airport with no problems and now my daughter is not excited about this part…the flying. Here’s the TMI part…she hasn’t been on a plane since she was about 12…so, 6 years ago. This past year, while she was finishing her senior year in high school, she went through a freak major medical issue, multiple surgeries, and now has a Stent in an artery in her abdomen. She nearly died a couple of times and sometimes has issues with anxiety because of it. Not only was she nervous about the flying part…just the airport screening scared her…she was afraid the stent would cause problems…she doesn’t like bringing attention to herself. Fortunately…we breezed through screening…the big screen-y thing that you have to put your arms up while they take movies of your jiggly fat…and post to youtube later…was backed up…so they diverted us through the old fashioned metal screeners…hooray!

My daughter’s doctor had given her some anxiety medicine for the flight so we drug her up and out she goes. Thanks, Doc! Our flight has a quick stop in Phoenix, AZ…where we don’t even have to deplane, and then we’ll be on our way to Galveston (the island).

Our stop in Phoenix…is a bit longer than planned…we have to sit on the runway for awhile…but, eventually they get us to the gate…get some people off and more on…and away we go. Now’s where that technology comes in to play…it’s a little disconcerting to be watching live TV of a freak storm blowing the roof off the airport you just left (Phoenix Airport – 9/27/14 – yikes!). Like an idiot, I start looking out the airplane window looking back, like I can still see Phoenix…to see if that storm is behind us! Fortunately, it's not...and a few hours later we arrive in Houston…hooray!

Sam’s Limo is waiting for us, we gather our bags, and then join the traffic out to the island to our hotel, the Four Points Sheraton. The first thing my daughter says when we get to the hotel (who’s still groggy from being drugged) is…what is wrong with the air here? It’s called humidity! We don’t have humidity where we live. We only have two seasons…Summer, which is very hot (close to 100 degrees) and lasts from May until November…and Winter…which averages about 50 degrees. During the summer, we might get a total of 3 days of rain. And, it’s not really rain…it’s more like…is that a rain drop or did someone just spit on me (California = drought!). Humidity is a foreign concept for my daughter…and…she doesn’t like it!

Random thought…..……we are about to get on a ship that is heading to the very humid Caribbean…uh oh!

I picked our hotel because of its location…I wanted an easy place to go for dinner and to explore the night before our cruise and Galveston’s Pleasure Pier seemed like a good idea…we had a view of the pier from our room and it was very pretty all lit up at night. We had dinner at Bubba Gumps and explored along the sea wall for the evening...it was a warm, humid and VERY windy evening…but…we’re on vacation! I loved it!

Pier.jpg

(This is not the view from our room...this is the view from the Wendy's parking lot next door to our hotel where you can get chocolate frosty's before heading up to the room...yum! And...in case you're wondering...Wendy's does not serve breakfast...we checked. But...you can get a burger at 9:30am...if you so desire. We didn't.)

A couple of the minions had gotten to Galveston several days early to explore the island. One day, when I was still at work…I get a text from a minion that simply says: There’s a lot of y’alls.

Now that I’m here…that minion was right. This is my first experience in Texas…I always thought the y’all thing was a stereotype…but, nope! It’s full on…y’all…around here............not judging…just a comment.

I had put those early minions to work finding us travel to the port for Sunday and they had reserved 2 taxi vans for us for 10:30am the next morning…looks like we have a plan! (Or…do we?)

Next up…Chapter 3…Embarkation! (Pink trolleys, Brown Water and THE BEST Entertainment on the Ship!)

Loving this review, we were on the Magic for the 2nd time a couple of weeks before you. We relate to the humidity being a shock as we are from Tucson, Az. and also the Y'all thing. We found that to be part of our vocabulary for a couple of days post cruise both times we sailed out of Galveston. We really do love Texas and the people that sail out of Galveston. Can't wait to do it again!

Im looking forward to following your review.

We are booked on Magic, same itinerary on 22nd March next year, me & other half. We are new to Carnival & only our 3rd cruise. Strangely this is just the 2 of us, no kids & no grandkids, due to school holidays in the U.K.

Really looking forward to this cruise,, having read all the wonderful reviews on here, & following the cruise critic boards.

We really want FTTF, but check it several times a day & its sold out. Also going to book the Cheers on the 2nd day. Never been to the Caribbean, so super excited.

I didnt know Galveston was an island!!. We have friends in Houston , who also have a house in Galveston so get to spend a week with them before cruising.

Cant wait to read more of your review, and any tips you have.

Jan xx

Jan, I have been checking FTTF at least seven times a day since May for my November 9 cruise on the magic. Lo and behold if it was available this week. I am mediately purchased one. It said only 4 left. I checked a few hours later and it was again sold out!

Do not give up! Keep checking several times a day you just have to hit it right.

I love the MAGIC, too!!! Was on board in early September! ...and wrote a review! Love your humor!!

Son lives in Sacto, and he refuses to cruise, too!! I think he must be close friend to your hubby! ;) but daughter and Nana and I cruise a lot!!! And Galveston is our go to port!

I'm reading along and hope to see more photos!!!

A cruising we will go!

My kids and I have Faster to the Fun (FTTF) so we want to be at the ship early…hence, the 10:30am reservation time for the taxi’s.

Here’s the scoop on FTTF. It’s always sold out…so, there’s a secret. You can email the excursions desk (email is on Carnival’s page) and politely ask them if there will be any more FTTF’s for whatever date you’re sailing…and, if you’re lucky, they’ll email you back saying…be ready, in 5 minutes I’m about to release 10 more spots! This worked for me! But…don’t do the stupid thing I did! They’re in Miami…I’m in California…I emailed them at 4:30pm my time…that’s 7:30pm and they’re home having dinner with their family by then. They emailed me back…with that 5 minute – be ready – message at 8:00am their time…that’s 5:00am for me! I’m not ready!!! Luckily, by the time I saw the message, hours later, spots were still available. Yay for FTTF!

So…it’s the morning of the cruise…I drag my kids out of bed and we head down to the lobby at 10:20am for our 10:30am taxi’s. I can see the rest of the minions gathered in the lobby…and, it looks like 2 taxi vans are out front loading people and bags into them. As we are approaching the minions…there go the taxis. Okay…we think. No big deal…it’s only a few miles to the port…those weren’t our taxis…or…they’ll be right back. We head out to the front with the mobs of other people waiting for taxi’s and just to be sure, one of the minions calls the cab company. The dispatcher ‘politely’ says…you weren’t there so the driver took other people. The minion explains that we are there…our reservation was for 10:30am and it’s 10:28am right now. So…the dispatcher says she will send them back when they’re available. And, we wait. And wait. And wait. (It’s another cloudy, humid, and very windy day here on the island of Galveston.) And…we wait some more.

We’re not good at waiting. So, one of minions notices the aqua-duck boat thing and the pink trolley behind it across the street over by the pier and says…lets go see if we can get that duck to take us! A couple minions take off to give it a try. They go to the duck thing and there’s no one to be found…but, they notice the guy with the pink trolley and his sign for Historical Tours of Galveston. They explain we have a bunch of people that need to get to the ship and what would it cost to take us. Oh no…he can’t do that…he does Historical Tours. So...one of the minions says…we’d like a historical tour of the streets that lead to the port. Oh! Well then…for 8 of you it’ll be $50 bucks! He can’t go on the port property but he’ll drop us close enough. Score! The minion calls me and I gather the bags and get everyone ready…as the pink trolley approaches!

We load everyone up…and have room for two more so we invite a Texas couple to join us. And…off we go! This will go down as the most memorable way to get to a port! We had a great time on this little pink trolley and what a way to start off the cruise! We were dropped off just a little over a block from the port…and we tipped generously!

treasuretrain.jpg

Pink Trolley at the Pier

IMG953404a.jpg

Here’s some of us on the pink trolley…including my son and daughter, and then the unknown Texas couple behind them, and some more minions loading up their luggage in the back.

Within minutes of being dropped off…we were wheeling our luggage right up to the porters and were on our way to the check-in line. By now, it’s about 11:15am. Now…if you’ve been reading along on cruise critic on the Gulf Coast Departures section…you’d think the Galveston port was medieval. Using rocks and stones to pound out boarding passes…no electricity, long slow lines…etc. I now think those reviews are a strategic attempt at keeping people from sailing there so they can keep it to themselves. This port was EASY! We walked right up to check-in…with 1 person in front of us for FTTF…and yet, by the time the kids and I were done with check-in, the rest of the minions had all already been through the regular check-in lines and were waiting with their boarding cards. The kids and I walked right on to the ship and within a half hour, the rest of the family was on board. No complaints about this port…at all!

This was my first experience with the Gulf of Mexico and the water is ugly. I didn’t expect it. It’s brown. But, we saw more dolphins around Galveston both leaving and coming back, then we did the entire rest of the cruise…so, ugly water or not, if the dolphins are happy in it…it’s okay by me!

IMG_2034301932843.jpeg

Dolphins playing just outside the cove balcony as we’re still boarding.

We drop our carry-on bags in our cabin and head back up to the lobby. I want to stop by guest services as I have 8 of the $100 egift cards from the Verizon reward program to apply to our sail and sign account (I knew I would be purchasing the Cheers program for 2, and would need to pay the tips for 3 people…so, I saved a little money by pre-purchasing these cards). The guest services line is really long but…I have FTTF…so I jump to the empty VIP line. My son joins me in the line and we’re quickly brought up to the next service person…a very nice guy with an Aussie accent. I explain what we need to do and he very efficiently gets working on the e cards which have to be entered one by one…no problems.

The service girl next to us becomes free and invites the next couple up to the counter. The woman proceeds to explain that…there’s a problem. Her luggage is not in her cabin. At this point…my son starts giggling. He works in customer service at his job so he knows what this is like. The service girl politely explains that it’s only 12:15pm right now and no one has their luggage yet. Luggage will be delivered later in the afternoon. The guest then says…I think my luggage is on that ship behind us (the Royal Caribbean one). And…my giggling son gets louder! The guest continues with…I gave my luggage to one of those guys in the Hawaiian shirts out front…but, I’m not sure it was a Carnival guy. The service person, as polite as she can be, explains that it’s the tags they’ve put on their bags that show the porters that they go to the Carnival ship. So then the husband steps us (and I’m thinking…good, he’s going to help this poor services girl out and explain to his wife)…and he says…….you know, I think we’re supposed to be on that Royal Caribbean ship…not this one.

And…my son is losing it. People behind us in line are laughing just because my son can’t contain himself. Our poor guest services person is standing there with his lips pressed together trying so hard not to laugh. His face is turning red.

And then…the guest services person on the other side of us becomes free. And, up steps this big Texan, with his big booming Texan voice…and he says…Y’all need to find me a different room. And the services person very politely says, I’m sorry to hear that what seems to be the problem with your room. And he booms out with…my room only has two outlets in it…and, they’re all the way across on the other side of the room. That just won’t do.

I bet you can guess what my son thought of this latest development…he’s got tears coming out of his eyes as I’m pushing him away and saying…go find your sister!

Best entertainment on the ship…hands down…guest services at embarkation!

Next up…Chapter 3 – Around the ship! (Garment Bag vs. Forklift, Wass Up and Unleash the Cracken!)

Omg, hilarious! I still dream about that girl and her green cap and gown. JH had so much fun with that. I usually stay away from GS first day but maybe I'll get some popcorn and pull up a chair.

And I'm with you, FTTF and coves are awesome!!

Edited by kona_wahine