Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice Offer up your advice for saving money on cruises...from booking tips to info on shore excursions.

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Drinks included in the cruise fare? What companies?

What companies have the all inclusive really so that also "all" the drinks are included? I donīt mean champagne, cognacs etc, mainly beer, wine, sodas etc? Itīs quite hard to compare the cruise prices with different cruise lines if I donīt know this? RCCL has it for extra cost. I was there two weeks ago and what I consumed alcohol/beverages were about the same as the cost of what it would have been if I would have taken the alcohol package (I took anyway the fountain soda package). Not a heavy drinker but next time Iīll think Iīll take the package.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitola View Post
What companies have the all inclusive really so that also "all" the drinks are included? I donīt mean champagne, cognacs etc, mainly beer, wine, sodas etc? Itīs quite hard to compare the cruise prices with different cruise lines if I donīt know this? RCCL has it for extra cost. I was there two weeks ago and what I consumed alcohol/beverages were about the same as the cost of what it would have been if I would have taken the alcohol package (I took anyway the fountain soda package). Not a heavy drinker but next time Iīll think Iīll take the package.
Paul Gauguin Cruise Line includes drinks.

This intimate ship is unregimented and informal - no tuxes or gowns here. The Connoisseur Club, with its warm woods and leather chairs, is a relaxing spot for pre-dinner cocktails. La Palette is an indoor/outdoor lounge whose deep blues and golden yellows reflect the colors of the sea and sun. At night, the lounge is transformed into a romantic nightclub where couples can dance the night away on the indoor/outdoor dance floor. There's open-seating dining in two restaurants: La Veranda is modern and stylish and offers indoor and outdoor dining, and L'Etoile resembles an art deco Parisian restaurant. Near the pool, Le Grill offers casual, open-air dining, as well as a buffet area. Complimentary wine is included at dinner. A retractable watersports platform brings guests to sea level, where they can try windsurfing, kayaking and water-skiing. Cabins feature marble baths with full-size tub and shower, refrigerator stocked with soft drinks and mineral water, complimentary minibar setup and more. There's also a print-on-demand service of newspapers such as USA Today and The Wall Street Journal for those who want to stay up-to-date with the goings-on at home. A selection of complimentary wines, spirits and champagnes is served throughout the ship.

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:14 PM
40,000+ Club

None of the mainstream lines do (Carnival, Princess, HAL, RCL, NCL, Celebrity). They are only included on the upscale lines like Regent, Seaborne, etc.

Old June 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Silversea is an all-inclusive upscale cruise on a par with those the above poster mentioned; Crystal is now all-inclusive as well, but that's yet another luxury ($$$) line.

Your best bet is to watch Royal Caribbean & Celebrity for promotions offering a free beverage package, then book!
Celebrity has just such a promo ending today, I think.

The trend is towards cruise lines selling drink packages, which means that may be one more perk to look for when booking. I have only seen those two do it so far, but as more lines implement drink package sales on their ships, we can likely expect to see them showing up as freebies in more booking promotions!

Last edited by FamilyCruiseDiva; June 30th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Old June 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Totally forgot about Azamara Club Cruises, which is not all-inclusive but might be closer to what OP has in mind. Pricier than mainstream but not as expensive as the others, from what I recall.

Old June 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
40,000+ Club

Some people have said that when you take into account everything that the luxury lines include, they are comparable to the mainstream lines. I am not convinced, but have never done the math on it. It just seems to me that my spending on the cruise is much less than the price difference.

Old July 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have in essence, done the math on it- I've done directly comparable transatlantics on three different cruise lines and have a pretty good idea of my total costs on each. The line which I ended up paying the fewest dollars in combined fare and spending, by far, was the least-inclusive line. I don't have my notes in front of me but it was something approaching $2000. (Note that I don't use alcohol, which seems to be a major interest for the OP.)
The ability to provide a coherent explanation on this topic is one of the factors I'd use in choosing a travel agent.

Old November 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Know a family that has only sailed HAL, in a suite for the past 6 years. And it has always been the transatlantic Europe to FLL. This year, right now as a matter of fact they are on Regent, after checking the price including business class flights for the three of them they realized that the $25k that the Regent cruise is costing is quite equivalent to the HAL cruise once they add in the shore excursions and the bar and spa bill, as well as their flights. And they still have $900 in obc to have fun with. They get home next week, and I will find out just how much they liked it more.
11/2007 Costa Fortuna 1 night FLL
10/2008 NCL Spirit- 1 night cruise to no where NYC
12/2008 NCL Sky 3 night Bahamas MIA
3/2009 NCL Sky 3 night Bahamas MIA
10/2009 NCL Sky 4 night Bahamas MIA
11/2009 Crown Princess 7 night Western FLL
11/2010 Allure of the Seas 2 night to nowhere FLL
11/2010 NCL EPIC 7 night Western MIA
4/2011 Celebrity Solstice 7 night Eastern FLL
3/2013 Disney Wonder 5 night Western MIA
10/2013 Royal Princess 2 night no where FLL
11/2013 Vision of the Seas 1 night NoWhere MIA
11/2013 Vision of the Seas 2 night Bahamas MIA
NEXT UP 1/2014 Norwegian Getaway 2 night to Nowhere NYC

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did a Rhine river cruise a few years ago. Beer and wine were free at lunch and dinner. There was champagne available at breakfast (but I don't recall seeing anyone drinking it). An hour before dinner, there was Happy Hour - cocktails were buy one, get second $1. Not quite all drinks included, but most.

Old January 1st, 2014, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Go Seabourn!