Favorite evening/formalwear retailer?

My evening and formalwear are in need of an update, so I'd love to get some recommendations. Where do you find beautiful dresses and gowns? Why do you shop there?

I'm looking for quality, a range of styles, and prices that fall somewhere below "designer wedding gown" but above "tweeny-bopper chic."

Also, brands/designers that run small would be helpful.

Pictures are fun, too -- everyone could use a little inspiration, right? :)

I get most of my "gowns" at Macy's....they have a huge selection, and are usually on sale....which makes it very nice. I try things on....too much trouble doing the mail-order thing, and having to make returns. Each gown/dress will fit differently...what looks great on the hanger might not suit my body....easier to try them on!!!

Adrianna Appel dresses are lovely and many styles for many age groups. Can be found at Macys, Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor. Nordstroms has no shipping fees and free returns as well.

Chicos Travelers. Black, no wrinkle, dress up with jewelry. I don't wear gowns or cocktail dresses, but these I can wear multiple times. These aren't mine, but similar. I've had mine for years and they are still in great condition! :)

570113893_001_shelf.jpg

570102850_001_shelf.jpg

570111905_438_shelf.jpg

100082647_1309_shelf.jpg

prod9810244_001_shelf.jpg

I wish I could wear Chico's clothing -- I've seen the Travel collection you mentioned, and always wanted to buy some outfits for casual days. Sadly, none of their clothing is small enough to fit me :(

I get most of my "gowns" at Macy's....they have a huge selection, and are usually on sale....which makes it very nice. I try things on....too much trouble doing the mail-order thing, and having to make returns. Each gown/dress will fit differently...what looks great on the hanger might not suit my body....easier to try them on!!!

I definitely have to try things on, as *most* of my clothing has to be tailored to fit properly. I haven't set foot in a Macy's in many years, but perhaps things have changed since then!

I've found some lovely things at Nordstrom on the sale racks!:D I usually go about a month before I'm going to cruise to check out what they have just in case things have to be altered before my cruise.

I second BCBG. Also, I like Bloomingdale's and Lord & Taylor formal and evening wear selections. Great mix of moderate to expensive designer clothing for special occasions. They carry 00-14 in women's sizing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

Church-related thrift stores. No guarantee that you will find the perfect outfit on the first visit, but when you do - Wow! The dressiest things are the most likely to have been worn only once or not at all, so they are in great condition. I have many designer dresses (Ralph Lauren, Norma Kamali, Betsey Johnson, Tom & Linda Platt, Adrianna Papell), all of which were under $15.

DH just passed up an Armani tuxedo that was $25.

I buy the majority of my clothes both formal and general day to day on Ruelala, Ideeli or HauteLook. I love the bargain sites!!

Me, too! I also like Beyond the Rack and Gilt for awesome designer deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughters are smaller, but they're not into prom style dresses and want things that are a bit more adult like. Cache and BCBG are great. We have a BCBG outlet at our mall, and you can get some great deals! For example, this weekend, the entire store was 40% off. That is off the marked down price for the outlet too.

I also have 2 BCBG outlets nearby and I have to avoid going in there or I will spend too much $$$. I buy dresses from there even when I don't have an occasion coming up. They are well-made, fit nicely and very colorful so I always stand out in a crowd!

I also have 2 BCBG outlets nearby and I have to avoid going in there or I will spend too much $$$. I buy dresses from there even when I don't have an occasion coming up. They are well-made, fit nicely and very colorful so I always stand out in a crowd!

BCBG won this round! I hit the outlet -- 40% off even the gowns already reduced -- and scored a gorgeous blue and green one-shoulder flowing gown. Perfection!

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone; I'm keeping a running list of place to check out (shops I'm familiar with but might have forgotten about AND some new ideas)!

Keep them coming if you wish :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maddycat
Chicos Travelers. Black, no wrinkle, dress up with jewelry. I don't wear gowns or cocktail dresses, but these I can wear multiple times. These aren't mine, but similar. I've had mine for years and they are still in great condition! :)

570113893_001_shelf.jpg

570102850_001_shelf.jpg

570111905_438_shelf.jpg

100082647_1309_shelf.jpg

prod9810244_001_shelf.jpg

This could have been posted by me. I've been wearing my Chicos Travelers outfits for years. They're timeless.

My evening and formalwear are in need of an update, so I'd love to get some recommendations. Where do you find beautiful dresses and gowns? Why do you shop there?

I'm looking for quality, a range of styles, and prices that fall somewhere below "designer wedding gown" but above "tweeny-bopper chic."

Also, brands/designers that run small would be helpful.

Pictures are fun, too -- everyone could use a little inspiration, right? :)

Macy's is a start, or an outlet store.