favorite things to do -places to eat

lovevacadays

We liked the Fusion Hotel restaurant on the beach, great burger, excellent drinks and fantastic staff. Great bands here (reggae, blues) and a beautiful spot in the sand.

Karen's Mexican restaurant on 5th Ave is a fun spot, a bit cheesy of a Mexican experience but with the band and hawkers out front it's more of a loud spot, food is decent.

For most evening entertainment we like our resort (Ibero Tucan).

Check the Playa Del Carmen forum on tripadvisor for helpful insight from destination experts.

We liked the Fusion Hotel restaurant on the beach, great burger, excellent drinks and fantastic staff. Great bands here (reggae, blues) and a beautiful spot in the sand.

Karen's Mexican restaurant on 5th Ave is a fun spot, a bit cheesy of a Mexican experience but with the band and hawkers out front it's more of a loud spot, food is decent.

For most evening entertainment we like our resort (Ibero Tucan).

Check the Playa Del Carmen forum on tripadvisor for helpful insight from destination experts.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I'm looking at tripadvisor too. That's a great site!

There is way too much to see and do in this area. I think that your best option is to check with Edventures. They can customize the tours to fit your needs. They have excellent reviews and very knowledgable guides.

What are your favorite things to do and places to eat in Playa Del Carmen. We have a very diverse group so we want as many options as possible.

Thanks

I probably should answer your questions now. A trip to Tulum, Dos Ojos, Yal-Ku Lagoon, Akumal or shopping in Playa Del Carmen are our favs. You can google PDC and find lots of good places to eat but Las Bresas on 5th Avenue has very good fajitas and when we go back I will be looking for a street vendor who serves Cochinita Pibil. He has suckling pig rubbed with spices and roasted in banana leaves. I will have to go back in my notes to come up with his name, but I would bet a dollar to a donut that I could ask a local and find him in heartbeat.

Absolutely love this port!!!

I probably should answer your questions now. A trip to Tulum, Dos Ojos, Yal-Ku Lagoon, Akumal or shopping in Playa Del Carmen are our favs. You can google PDC and find lots of good places to eat but Las Bresas on 5th Avenue has very good fajitas and when we go back I will be looking for a street vendor who serves Cochinita Pibil. He has suckling pig rubbed with spices and roasted in banana leaves. I will have to go back in my notes to come up with his name, but I would bet a dollar to a donut that I could ask a local and find him in heartbeat.

Thanks. I appreciate your info.

Just wandering up and down 5th Avenue in Playa is a treat in itself if you've never been there. Favorite restaurant? HC de Monterey on 1st between 20th and 25th (the Original one). It's fabulous. The arrecherra nacional and baked onion are to die for. You can also try Alux for a restaurant situated in a cave. The food is pretty good, but I'd go for the atmosphere and a couple of drinks. You'll need a taxi to get here.

Just wandering up and down 5th Avenue in Playa is a treat in itself if you've never been there. Favorite restaurant? HC de Monterey on 1st between 20th and 25th (the Original one). It's fabulous. The arrecherra nacional and baked onion are to die for. You can also try Alux for a restaurant situated in a cave. The food is pretty good, but I'd go for the atmosphere and a couple of drinks. You'll need a taxi to get here.

Thank you so much. I haven't seen info on these so appreciate a few other options.

I'll second that recommendation on the Cochinita Pibil. Best street food anywhere. 12th street and 20th Ave. Worth the short walk, you can ask for directions or have your taxi drop you there. Be warned, he may be sold out depending on when you arrive (after the lunch rush). Eat early.

I'll second that recommendation on the Cochinita Pibil. Best street food anywhere. 12th street and 20th Ave. Worth the short walk, you can ask for directions or have your taxi drop you there. Be warned, he may be sold out depending on when you arrive (after the lunch rush). Eat early.

Thanks we will definitely check it out. 5 months now. I can't wait!:D

• 1 month later...

Favorite eatery...La Parrilla Mexican Grill Margarita's are great...usually dont remember when you leave... LOL j/k! Not authentic, but FUN

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150812-d1108612-Reviews-La_Parrilla_Mexican_Grill-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Or for on the beach action, Senior Frogs. It's pretty mellow during the day but the views of the beach are outstanding and you can watch the ferries leave from here back to Cozumel. Go to google and google images of Senior Frogs Playa Del Carmen and you will see what I'm talking about

Favorite thing to do...ATV jungle tour with stop at Cenote. The adults loved is so much we did it twice and the kids loved it too! Highly recommend this trip. We have done it twice, once with just adults and the other time with kids from the ages of 8 to 15 and we all had a ball!!!

http://www.atvexplorer.com/

Enjoy!!!

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
Favorite eatery...La Parrilla Mexican Grill Margarita's are great...usually dont remember when you leave... LOL j/k! Not authentic, but FUN

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150812-d1108612-Reviews-La_Parrilla_Mexican_Grill-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Or for on the beach action, Senior Frogs. It's pretty mellow during the day but the views of the beach are outstanding and you can watch the ferries leave from here back to Cozumel. Go to google and google images of Senior Frogs Playa Del Carmen and you will see what I'm talking about

Favorite thing to do...ATV jungle tour with stop at Cenote. The adults loved is so much we did it twice and the kids loved it too! Highly recommend this trip. We have done it twice, once with just adults and the other time with kids from the ages of 8 to 15 and we all had a ball!!!

http://www.atvexplorer.com/

Enjoy

Enjoy!

Thanks. That sounds like fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We ate at Carboncitos our last trip to PDC and we thought it was fantastic. Very reasonably priced & great margaritas! Hubby and I shared an appy (the salsa sampler - yummy!), we each had an entrée, I had a jumbo mango margarita and he had 2 beer for about $35 US. It's right off 5th but I can't remember the intersecting street.

If you're looking for day trips or excursions, YucaTreks is very good. We did a 3-stop snorkelng day with them last April. We went to a Cenote (very cool!), Akumul Bay to swim with the sea turtles (amazing - a highlight of our trip), and then a stop a Yal-Ku Lagoon, which was very beautiful but it was overcast & raining hard by the time we got there. It was starting to get chilly and the water was very murky.

It was a really fantastic day. We met some very nice people and our guide Noel was great - very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Answered all of our questions and told us lots of local stories and Mayan history. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Archived