Alesund some advice please

going here in July we will be in port 9-5 but if we say 10-4 (im a worrier :rolleyes:)

I been looking at a few things here namely the alesund city train sight seeing tour which is the little tourist train.

Also looking at the Atlantic sea-park.

What I was wondering was has anyone done either of these and if so your thoughts on them.

the tour train say it runs more trips when a ship is in Port and that its close to the port. Has this been the case and how close is close (im a worrier can't help it).

Also the sea park run a shuttle bus my question is this a regular service that goes on through out the day?

Also could we manage the two of these in the time we have with the train trip taking 1 hour to do

and only a 10 min walk from pier.Right in center of town with sign on left side of road as you walk.We did that and then walked,shopped,looked at wharf with cute boats,etc.Also, went back to ship for lunch(since so close and prices very high in town).Did NOT go to park,sorry never even heard about it,but its such a quaint town probably would NOT have anyway.Hope that helps SOME.;)

going here in July we will be in port 9-5 but if we say 10-4 (im a worrier) I been looking at a few things here namely the alesund city train sight seeing tour which is the little tourist train. Also looking at the Atlantic sea-park. What I was wondering was has anyone done either of these and if so your thoughts on them. the tour train say it runs more trips when a ship is in Port and that its close to the port. Has this been the case and how close is close (im a worrier can't help it). Also the sea park run a shuttle bus my question is this a regular service that goes on through out the day? Also could we manage the two of these in the time we have with the train trip taking 1 hour to do

alexandra cruiser: Took the tourist tram and only a 10 min walk from pier.Right in center of town with sign on left side of road as you walk.We did that and then walked' date='shopped,looked at wharf with cute boats,etc. Also, went back to ship for lunch (since so close and prices very high in town). Did NOT go to park, sorry never even heard about it,but its such a quaint town probably would NOT have anyway.Hope that helps SOME [/quote']

Good suggestions from alexandra cruiser. Like her, had not heard of that park. For our stops in Alesund, we did more adventure, getting a rental car, going south to Runde Island, etc. It was good and interesting to see more of the various islands, small villages, nature settings, etc. As shown below, the super scenic mountain overview is wonderful. We drove up there to see the sights from that great location.

What other ports are you visiting along the Norway coast? From my live/blog below you can see more details on what we did and saw. Lots of pictures!! Below are a few samples for what we saw and did in Alesund.

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,479 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

From Aksla, here is some of the charming architecture in Alesund. This includes a canal or waterway in the middle of the town. :

AlesundHarbor2.jpg

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

From the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund, here is another angle with the spectacular view that shows distance islands, landscapes and mountains.:

AlesundVistaPerch.jpg

Here were a couple of interesting Norway ladies in their special native costumes that were very unique and interesting at the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund.

AlesundLocalDress.jpg

In Alesund, here is one of the interesting stone buildings in this area with a scenic canal running through the middle of the business area.:

AlesundDowntownStoneBldg.jpg

hi also going to Bergen, Flam, Geiranger these also do a stop for an hour at hellesyt im assuming this is to put people of who want to go on excursion here.

We know what we are doing in Bergen because we been there before and we know sort of what we are doing in the other places. btw the sea park place is where the aquarim is

There is a guided walk from the tourist office which isn't expensive and is highly enjoyable. I forget the exact time (approx midday?) but we googled walks in Alesund and found it on the Norway Tourist site. There was a very friendly crowd when we did it in the summer. Pay just before setting off and it was a very easy pleasant walk. The ship's berth in Alesund is very near the centre of town and it's a beautiful place. Well recommended.

• 1 month later...
going here in July we will be in port 9-5 but if we say 10-4 (im a worrier :rolleyes:)

I been looking at a few things here namely the alesund city train sight seeing tour which is the little tourist train.

What I was wondering was has anyone done either of these and if so your thoughts on them.

the tour train say it runs more trips when a ship is in Port and that its close to the port. Has this been the case and how close is close (im a worrier can't help it).

Also the sea park run a shuttle bus my question is this a regular service that goes on through out the day?

Also could we manage the two of these in the time we have with the train trip taking 1 hour to do

You could do both but the Atlantic sea park is really not worth it.

Unless, you would like to see cod etc in an aquarium.

Believe me, I live in Alesund ;)

I would spend my day taking the train around town and to mountain Aksla for some stunning views.

To get to the train from where you dock is very easy.

I think you will be docking at the new cruise terminal by the bus station.

Walk past the bus station.

Cross the road to Hotel Atlantica.

Cross the road again and walk fro a few minutes to "Dronning Sonja Plass" (Queen Sonja Place)

This is where you will catch the train.

Its opposite "Kremergaarden shopping mall/Radhus (Town hall)

Other things to do in Alesund is to walk around town and take in the beautiful architecture.

What is descrbed in the pictures as "a little canal running throught town" is actually called "Brosundet" (The Bridge sound) or Ale sund (Sloping sound - the sound slopes through town.

This is how Alesund got its name.

The town burned down in 1904.

What is decried in one of the pictures as "interesting stone building" is in fact an old pharmacy called the swan. Hence the statue of a swan above the entrance.

The house now holds a cafe and a "jugend style" museum.

Here you can see the history of the town, the fire etc in a interesting multi media show.

If you want to walk. you should walk pass the Jugend style museum, follow the road to the right and pass small interesting shops.

Walk past the Sandic hotel all the way through to you get to a small street with only old wooden buildings.

Not many find this place. I love it here.

Its quiet and out of the way. The road have lots of art shops (painting, glass), antique shop, cafe and a museum.

Also, you should walk all the way out to the light house.

From here you will have a very different view of Alesund:)

Oh, the firehouse is actually a hotel room!!

When you walk back you could continue straight ahead when you get to the crossroad taking you down to Brosundet (Bridge sound)

You will then get to the Alesund Church.

I doubt it will be open but its a nice walk.

The town of Alesund an be easily done in a few hours.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Lars

Believe me, I live in Alesund ;)

What is descrbed in the pictures as "a little canal running throught town" is actually called "Brosundet" (The Bridge sound) or Ale sund (Sloping sound - the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.

The town burned down in 1904. What is decried in one of the pictures as "interesting stone building" is in fact an old pharmacy called the swan. Hence the statue of a swan above the entrance.

The house now holds a cafe and a "jugend style" museum. Here you can see the history of the town, the fire etc in a interesting multi media show.

Let me know if you have other questions. Lars

Appreciate, Lars, the added info and background on those two pictures of mine you mentioned. I have updated my photo descriptions so that when I post those in the future, it will have the benefit of that added history, details. I was not trying to "decry" anything. Just doing a description based on the limited info that I had available and in my brain. Earlier on this thread, I posted my summary of the background on the fire and other info, history about Alesund. Anything major missing there and/or needing correction from that summary?

OTHER ALESUND OPTIONS TO CONSIDER?: We got a rental car and did a trip down to Runde Island. Really enjoyed that "adventure". Gave us a nice, added sampling for the beauty, smaller towns, riding the ferry, etc. On my full live/blog connected below, there is more info/details for how we did that, what we saw, etc. Below are a few of my visual samples for Runde, the ride there and back, etc. We had time after Runde Island to then drive up to the top of the overlook over this great and interesting town with its wonderful setting.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,461 views.

To the south of Alesund is Runde Island, famous for its birds and scenic views. This shows a house on this beautiful island with the mountains on other nearby islands.:

RundeIsHouseMountains.jpg

Runde Island has a very small population, except for the thousands of birds. Here is one of the small farm there with a wall of rock behind it.:

RundeIsFarmRockWall.jpg

Here’s another view from Runde Island, showing the unique bridge design allowing access to this island. It is a one-land bridge with a wide spot at its top to allow for passing cars.:

RundeIsBridge.jpg

On the way back from Runde Island, here is another view. This is a coastal village with dramatic mountains in the background.:

AlesundSouthCoastVillage.jpg

Terry, your pictures are as usual wonderful.

I think everyone enjoys them.

I dont think you were trying decry at all:) Its not easy to tag a picture when there is no tag button:D ...your description of the pictures made it easy for everyone to see and find them. I just added some more info:)

Runde is also a nice place to visit - for sure very different.

I guess it will take 2-3 hours to get there but it would be perfect if you have been to Alesund before.

We were in beautiful Alesund last year and this year we were thinking of taking Path of the Trolls tour.Our next port is Molde where there is a tour around Troll. Mountain.

Are these 2 tours similar? If not, do you suggest one over the other? Both tours are full day. Thank you in advance.

We were in beautiful Alesund last year and this year we were thinking of taking Path of the Trolls tour.Our next port is Molde where there is a tour around Troll. Mountain.

Are these 2 tours similar? If not, do you suggest one over the other? Both tours are full day. Thank you in advance.

The Troll road and the Troll mountain are really next to each others.

The mountain is at the very bottom of the Troll Road.

The Troll mountain is Europe's larges vertical mountain wall

I do need some more info regarding the tours to give you an answer.

The Troll road is spectacular.

I hope you get the time to go to the view point which seems to be hanging in the air over the cayon. It really is a stomach churning experience.

The troll road itself is a narrow sloping road with waterfalls an steep mountains.

This link is of the Troll Road (Trollstigen)

http://www.visitnorway.com/no/Reisemal/Vestlandet/Geirangerfjorden-og-Trollstigen/Aktiviteter-ved-Geirangerfjorden-og-Trollstigen/Attraksjonar-ved-Geirangerfjorden-og-Trollstigen/Trollstigen/

This link is of The Troll Mountain (Trollveggen)

http://www.visitandalsnes.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=87&lang=en

Terry, your pictures are as usual wonderful.

I think everyone enjoys them. I dont think you were trying decry at all:) Its not easy to tag a picture when there is no tag button:D ...your description of the pictures made it easy for everyone to see and find them. I just added some more info:) Runde is also a nice place to visit - for sure very different. I guess it will take 2-3 hours to get there but it would be perfect if you have been to Alesund before.

Appreciate, Lars, your follow-up and nice comments. YES, that added info you provided was very helpful. Originally, you mentioned the word "decried", but probably meant to say description for the wording on the pictures. No problem. it helps to know that extra history and background.

It worked well for us in sampling BOTH Alesund and doing Runde Island, all in one day.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,566 views.

Thank you for the info. Here are the 2 tours-RCI cruise

1.Alesund-7hrs.scenic drive down Troll. Mt-drive along Storfjarden Mt. stop Stordal Church-go to Valladal and pass the gorge-cross Stigfoss Waterfall-pass by Andalsnes and see Troll wall-11 bends

2.Molde-8hrs.Board ferry to Vestnes-drive along fijord to Valldal and Stordal to Trol. Mt.11 bends-drive to Afarnes for ferry crossing.(not a lot of info)

I know both will be beautiful but we don't want to do 2 long tours back to back.

.Appreciate your help!!!

I would love to hear, and probably many others researching, how you did Ålesund and Runde in one day.

Did you have a private car?? Did you take the boat/BIB??

how far was it one way?? How long did you stay in Runde??

Did you walk up the mountain to watch the birds??

Thank you for the info. Here are the 2 tours-RCI cruise

1.Alesund-7hrs.scenic drive down Troll. Mt-drive along Storfjarden Mt. stop Stordal Church-go to Valladal and pass the gorge-cross Stigfoss Waterfall-pass by Andalsnes and see Troll wall-11 bends

2.Molde-8hrs.Board ferry to Vestnes-drive along fijord to Valldal and Stordal to Trol. Mt.11 bends-drive to Afarnes for ferry crossing.(not a lot of info)

I know both will be beautiful but we don't want to do 2 long tours back to back.

.Appreciate your help!!!

Those tours are visiting the same areas just approached, and probably sold, differently:-)

I think there will be more driving during tour no 1 but its the most scenic route.

Tour 2 from Molde has 2x 45 minutes ferry ride between them.

I would go for tour 1 from Alesund.

The drive from Ålesund to Valldal will take approx 1.5-2 hours, and you drive along the most stunning fjords and landscape.

The Gorge in Valldal is also very interesting - not to be missed.

I believe Valdal to Åndalsnes take around approx 1 hour drive.

I hope you get to stop at the viewing area at the top of the Troll Road.

The drive - the 11 bends - will be breathtaking for sure. In a large bus with big windows it will be stunning and probably a bit scary :D The road is pretty narrow.

It didnt say if you take the same road back to Aalesund or follow the road pass the fjords by Andalsnes.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thank you all for your wonderful information on this post!

I am on the same cruise with cruising diva (hi to our fellow Floridians!).

I have been scouring these boards for information and have read everything I can find here about Iceland and Norway.

We are really looking forward to our cruise and are especially happy to be visiting Alesund.

By the way, I-Cruiser, I think you said you had been to Cuba. My DH is Cuban, so muchas gracias to you!

Barbara and Orlando

Thank you all for your wonderful information on this post!

I am on the same cruise with cruising diva (hi to our fellow Floridians!).

I have been scouring these boards for information and have read everything I can find here about Iceland and Norway.

We are really looking forward to our cruise and are especially happy to be visiting Alesund.

By the way, I-Cruiser, I think you said you had been to Cuba. My DH is Cuban, so muchas gracias to you!

Barbara and Orlando

De nada :) I have been to Cuba twice.

My partner or DH:D is Cuban too.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi, have you considered going to the Sunnmoere Folk Museum.

Last year, after spending the morning exploring the town and climbing up the steps to Mount Aksla, we took the 12.15 pm bus to the Museum, which is only a 10 minute ride from the Bus Station. Last year it cost 40 NOK each way for the 2 of us.

I am not sure how frequently the bus goes there from the Bus Station, which is very close to the dock that the Celebrity Constellation used when we were there.

We would have stayed longer had it not started to rain and had really enjoyed the visit there. There were numerous regional/period farm house/ barns etc, some of which were open, and a collection of old vessels/boats on display, including a whaler and a very small boat that was used to evacuate a number of Norwegians across to the UK during the war.

The Wikipedia link is "http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunnm%C3%B8re_Museum"

• Like 1

From what I gather, there is a bus every 15 minutes from the bus terminal in Ålesund. Sundays there seem to be 1 or 2 departure pr. hour.

The current bus schedule expires June 16.

The bus stop you should ask for is:

1: larsgaarden (get of the bus and walk over the bridge. The entrance to the museum is to your right just after the bridge. Its a nice and scenic walk.

2: Sunnmore museum. (You should ask the driver to stop and let you off)

Bus no: 618 and 624.

Its possible to purchase bus tickets from the driver. Cash only.

You could also get a "smart ticket" or "kollektivkort".

This card has to be purchased at the bus terminal and it will give you a 17% fare reduction.

The fares are divided into zones and you should expect to pay NOK 35,- pr. person one way from Ålesund to the museum.

The museum is open from 10am-4pm Monday-Friday and 12noon-4pm Sundays. Saturdays its closed

The Medival Museum is closed until spring 2014.

Of course its possible to go and look at the buildings at the open air museum whenever.

I would love to hear, and probably many others researching, how you did Ålesund and Runde in one day. Did you have a private car?? Did you take the boat/BIB?? how far was it one way?? How long did you stay in Runde?? Did you walk up the mountain to watch the birds??

YES, we did BOTH, but there is more to the story. Below are more details. On Runde Island, we did not get to see the prime bird places as that would have required more time to get a smaller boat in order to circle around to where they are located. We knew that later, near the North Cape, we would be seeing another, better bird location, allowing us to see lots and lots of puffins, etc.

We had booked our rental car in advance and picked it up at a nearby Seven-11 store. They were a little disorganized there and it took a little longer to get things all squared away. But, we got our car, picked up our wives at the ship and started our adventure.

About 18 miles to the west is Runde, Norway’s southern most major bird rock with 240 species breeding there. It is a habitat for around one million seabirds, including 100,000 puffins. We had a rental car lined up for the four of us to journey south to this special island. The ship was offering a trip to here, but it got scrubbed as there was not enough signed up for this tour/trip. It was good (and lots cheaper) that we had made our own special arrangements in advance or we would have missed this unique island and coastal experience. It involved a five-mile ferry ride for us and the car, but that was a nice way to sample how that transportation system works. It was very timely and well run, efficient for how the cars and truck got on and off. It took 30 minutes for the trip. This ferry hold 120 cars and 350 passengers. The ferry coast $28 each way for the car and us.

It was great seeing more of the wide and beautiful variety of terrains in a way that you cannot appreciate if you are sailing by on a boat at a distance. Some of bridges were unique as we jumped island to island in order to reach Runde. Parts of Runde were so dramatic with the green grasses, rock faces, etc., that it reminded us of Ireland. Great beauty, plus lots of birds there.

As we drove back from Runde, did the ferry, etc., we wanted to do the Aksla hilltop that dramatically overlooks Alesund. Some from the ship did the 418 steps up Aksla hill in the center of town. We had our car and that made it much easier, plus you could see some of the housing where residents have great views over the town and area. Whether by walking or car, the view from there is super worth it. You get breath-taking views from this 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the town. It is called Kniven (the Knife) and has a refreshment place at the top. But, it is all about the views as some of the photos below illustrate.

Road conditions here and in other parts of Norway where we drove were very good. Thanks to the oil wealth, Norway has done lots of good investments in roads, bridges, etc., connecting many places and islands well. With the ferry and driving, it might have been around 90 minutes to get from Alesund to Runde Island. I had checked in advance and knew the ferry schedule.

Does this help? Other reactions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 98,698 views.

Here’s a closer view from Runde Island, showing the unique “S” bridge design allowing access to this island. It is a one-land bridge with a wide spot at its top to allow for passing cars.:

AlesundSouthBridgeCurve.jpg

Here are a few more views from Runde Island and nearby. First is showing a view near the water with all of coastal rocks and looking up to the nearby and towering peaks. Second is looking across the water to a nearby area with a lighthouse. Third is another island view with three local houses and the green mountains rising in the background and flowers in the foreground. Lots of color, drama and beauty here in Norway!!:

RundeRocksHousesMtnsWater.jpg

RundeMtnTopsLightHouseWater.jpg

RundeHousesGreenMtnFlowers.jpg

Thank you:) Runde is very different. I have been there a few times but never seen the birds.

Its a nice drive when the weather is good.

When the weather does not corporate and gets to windy, the bridge closes for safety reasons.

Here in the western part of Norway the weather is really unstable. A perfect morning might turn in to a horrible afternoon - or vice versa:)

It sure never gets boring around here.....

Thank you:)

Here in the western part of Norway the weather is really unstable. A perfect morning might turn in to a horrible afternoon - or vice versa:)

It sure never gets boring around here.....

Its quite nice to know there's somewhere else where the weather is as changeable as it is here in England!! We shall come to Norway well prepared as we do here too. :D