Bahamas Breakaway vs Bermuda Dawn

Hi Everyone!

My fiancé and I currently have our honeymoon cruise booked for the last week in February on the Breakaway. We would be in a spa mini suite. The more that I read about the Breakaway and how it is such a huge ship with LOTS of people and kids aboard, the more I'm wondering if it was a good choice. So I'm exploring other options for ports we could drive to. Any input/advice about this would be great - especially from anyone who has done both!!

OPTION 1

Breakaway out of NYC in February 2015

Spa Mini Suite

Train to Penn Station, then taxi to Port

Destination Bahamas

OPTION 2

Dawn out of Boston in October 2015

Balcony Room, purchase Spa passes

Drive to Port, park there

Destination Bermuda

Approximate total cost for the Breakaway cruise for us would be around $400 more (at current prices).

Edited by theantireality
didn't get to finish origianlly

I have been on the Dawn and the BA. I have been to both Bermuda & the Bahamas on the BA. So, my opinion:

The BA is big- but she is beautiful. The Spa is awesome and you will love it- especially the thermal loungers. There is so much on her to enjoy.

As for crowds, by end of February, there shouldn't be too many kids on it because most of the winter breaks will be over. Even though she is big, I have not ever really felt crowded on her outside of 1)mad rushes by the elevators when shows get out and 2) jams to take the tender to the private island.

I think for your honeymoon, you will love it!

The only thing that detracts from the BA choice is that Bermuda is a great place to go honeymoon if you want beautiful beaches. The BA FL/Bahamas is ok, but it's nothing compared to Bermuda.

Been on both and done both routes. If you are primarily looking for stuff to do on the ship, then BA. If you are interested in things mostly off the ship, Dawn to Bermuda.

Also - on the Bahamas run this year they missed the private island at least twice in February and we missed it in March - YMMV.

Hi Everyone!

My fiancé and I currently have our honeymoon cruise booked for the last week in February on the Breakaway. We would be in a spa mini suite. The more that I read about the Breakaway and how it is such a huge ship with LOTS of people and kids aboard, the more I'm wondering if it was a good choice. So I'm exploring other options for ports we could drive to. Any input/advice about this would be great - especially from anyone who has done both!!

OPTION 1

Spa Mini Suite

Destination Bahamas

OPTION 2

Destination Bermuda

Approximate total cost for the Breakaway cruise for us would be around $400 more (at current prices).

I love the Dawn and Bermuda. If you can spend a night in Boston and do some sightseeing that would be a bonus :)

I just got off the BA to Bermuda also a great ship! But I would take Bermuda over the Bahamas, and the Dawn over the Breakaway.

Edited by monkeybone

We did Bermuda in October, still a great place to be, better than the Bahamas. We enjoyed the BA to Bahamas, never felt crowded, but will probably never take that cruise again, but expect to return to Bermuda.

We did Bermuda in October, still a great place to be, better than the Bahamas. We enjoyed the BA to Bahamas, never felt crowded, but will probably never take that cruise again, but expect to return to Bermuda.

Was it the food in the MDR's?

Edited by monkeybone

No, it was the itinerary, the food was great on the BA, they even made special Filipino food for 10 of us. Bermuda is just so much more fun and romantic than the Bahamas trip, especially with the threat of no tendering. The NCL island was enjoyable, but limited. When I start repeating cruises, Canaveral/Bahamas is currently last on my list.

Hi Everyone!

OPTION 1

Spa Mini Suite

Destination Bahamas

OPTION 2

Destination Bermuda

Very good question. First I will say that any cruise ship sailing out of this area is packed with kids when school is out. I avoid those cruises, not because I don't like kids, but the ship is booked to capacity and its way too crowded. I have sailed the Breakaway in October of 2013 (Halloween cruise) and in February of this year and will be going back in November so far the ship has never seemed a bit crowded. Some dates in February can be bad because of kids being out of school for winter break, presidents week etc. I would pick early in Feb.

Lets start with the ports. Bermuda is beautiful and safe. Its pretty awesome staying in one port for 2 days you don't have to be concerned about getting back to the ship before it sails… Bermuda hands down, is the best destination of any Island I have been to and I think I hit quite a few.. Their public transportation, ferry and bus are pretty convenient and cheap too..

Florida, Cape Canaveral is nice if you want to do Disney (short day at the park and long ride) or Cape Canaveral. Otherwise there is Coco Beach Nearby. Nassau is not the greatest port, a bit trashy but NCL's private island is awesome. Trouble with the private island is if the seas are choppy the ship can't go there….

Putting aside, the crowded ship because as I said any ship will be crowded when school is out and thankfully you can avoid that……. The Breakaway is an awesome ship, lots to do and the prices do fall so you can watch them and your TA will reduce your cost as long as its before you make your final payment. This time Im choosing a cabin right near the elevator which should help for the times when I just want to run back to m cabin for a minute. There is more to do on the Breakaway.

But… then there the Dawn, I love that ship, she is just the right size. I have sailed on her many times when she home-ported in NY. I always booked mid ship cabins on decks around the elevators.

If you and Dh are very active and would enjoy the plank, rope course, water slides etc. the Breakaway is perfect but if not and you are the type to relax at the pool, I would go for the Bermuda cruise on the Dawn mainly because of the destination. Happy planning and I hope this helped….

Haven't been on the Breakaway so can't comment but Bermuda is my favourite destination and the Dawn is one of my favourite ships. The issue with leaving out of Boston though is that the port is my least favourite to drive to. When you are completed your cruise you then have to pay to park. The last time it took us over an hour to get out of the parking garage. Not fun when you already have a 10 hour drive ahead of you. Taking the train to Penn station is a favourite of mine in NY. It makes travelling so easy.

I did the Breakaway to Bermuda last september, going on the Dawn to bermuda this october. I would much rather go to Bermuda on any ship than the Bahama's. The Breakaway was very nice but due to the slides and ropes course I think it would be better for a family, Do Bermuda! you won't be sorry! I have NEVER felt safer in port. I am looking forward to the Dawn in October to compare the two NCL ships.

I have done both...Breakaway last Dec & Feb and booked for the end of Feb 2015...

The Dawn is a nice ship but can't compare with the Breakaway for things to do on the ship...Better entertainment on the Breakaway, enjoyed the waterfront restaurants and there are some nice excursion to do at the ports...We did stop at their private island which is wonderful if your a beach person, but aslo staying on the ship is nice with the adult areas.

The spa's on the Dawn & Breakaway are very nice, but no loungers in the one on the Dawn.

What can you say about Bermuda! Beautiful island..Been their seven times on cruises out of Boston..We live close by so easy to drive to, but we took a bus to NY and dropped us right of at the pier, so that was also easy.

If your looking just to cruise & things to do on the ship, go for the Breakaway, but if you want to explore then do the Dawn

Both are nice ships...Good luck on your decision.

Hi Everyone!

OPTION 1

Spa Mini Suite

Destination Bahamas

OPTION 2

Destination Bermuda

.....that is quite a quandary in my eyes. I loved the Breakaway last year but have never been on the Dawn. That aside, I would much rather go to Bermuda than the Caribbean route, but going in October, not sure I would want to do Bermuda then.

I would love to give you advice, but all I'll say is good luck.

Remember, any cruise is better than a week at work!

;)

wasiii

I have sailed on both the Dawn and Breakaway. Although both ships have their highlights, I would have to say hands down that the Breakaway blows the Dawn out of the water as far as overall ambiance and experience as well as amenities. We took the Breakaway to Bermuda this past May and Bermuda was absolutely beautiful, however, the temperatures mimicked those that were in the New England area where we are from with a high of only about 72-75. I would be nervous that the temperatures in October may be a bit chilly. Did you look at the normal weather trends for that time of the year in Bermuda??

I had a balcony room on both the Dawn and the Breakaway. Obviously the Breakaway is practically a brand new ship when compared with the Dawn and this is reflected in the differences between the cabins. My husband and I were very pleased with the room on the Breakaway, the bathroom was decently sized and the balcony was average in comparison to other ships.

Hope this somewhat helps! Which ever you choose you'll have a great time :)

For anyone who was wondering - I think that I have found the solution for us! For about $60 cheaper than our current booking, we can get a Spa Balcony on the Breakaway going to Bermuda in May!! My fiancé really didn't want to wait until October to go on vacation and we're not super hot weather people so the 75 degree days in Bermuda should be perfect!

Now I'm just hoping that the price drops between now and then and we can snag an even better deal! Has anyone had their Breakaway to Bermuda cruise price drop before final payment?

For anyone who was wondering - I think that I have found the solution for us! For about $60 cheaper than our current booking, we can get a Spa Balcony on the Breakaway going to Bermuda in May!! My fiancé really didn't want to wait until October to go on vacation and we're not super hot weather people so the 75 degree days in Bermuda should be perfect!

Now I'm just hoping that the price drops between now and then and we can snag an even better deal! Has anyone had their Breakaway to Bermuda cruise price drop before final payment?

Hi,

When in May ?

If you go on the week of the Bermuda Day, ( May 25th in 2015 ) it is a holiday and you might experience a very much reduced public transportation system.

There is a good difference in temperature between early and late May also...

Some activities like Harbor nights starts also in May ( May 7th this year ).

I completely agree with the Bermuda choice...I will not do Florida/Bahamas route again...if you miss GSC you loose the best part of the cruise.

Hi,

When in May ?

If you go on the week of the Bermuda Day, ( May 25th in 2015 ) it is a holiday and you might experience a very much reduced public transportation system.

There is a good difference in temperature between early and late May also...

Some activities like Harbor nights starts also in May ( May 7th this year ).

I completely agree with the Bermuda choice...I will not do Florida/Bahamas route again...if you miss GSC you loose the best part of the cruise.

So would May 17-24 be a bad idea? We could also do May 10-17