Why MSC is defining the new cruise industry - opinion

Skipper Tim

First water-gate then coffee-gate. How can a cruise line succeed when it denies cruise regulars of other, mostly U.S. lines, what they thought were their inalienable rights - free water and coffee at meals, among other things?This is beyond 'nickel and diming', this is an affront to regular cruise passengers, isn't it?

Yes and no. I believe MSC will continue to increase market share from the incumbent lines who are trapped between a rock and a hard place.

MSC is being disruptive. They are offering stunningly beautiful ships with the highest proportion of cabins that most cruisers want (modestly-sized balcony cabins), taking away the extras the non-U.S. guests do not expect (free water and coffee with meals, free shuttles, free bar for old timers, orchestras for the shows, designer toiletries, etc., etc., etc.) which none of their competition could do because of the backlash from their mainstay repeat guests, then offering a far lower headline fare than the competition, free child places (at little cost because every cabin in every ship was designed for this policy) and a quirky, sumptious, over-the-top Italian theme for unforgettable brand identity.

Result? The incumbents look increasingly over-priced and rely increasingly on their loyalty schemes for repeat guests who are, to put it daintily, slowly dwindling. Looking at the reaction here from some experienced cruisers to what MSC is doing - those who would never sail with a line that did not provide coffee with dessert for example - the mainstream U.S. lines have to maintain a 'full-service' model for their mainstay market. They will get increasingly squeezed as the likes of MSC breathe in the new market - the relatively young and culturally more diverse.

The cruise market is becoming ever more global. The "de-facto" norms count for nothing for first time cruisers except as historical record.

The top nosh at MSC expect these type of protests from die-hards. It would have been factored in to their game plan from the start. As is, they make minor concessions to the U.S. market - free water and that poor coffee at dinner - but for how much longer?

The manager of a five star hotel in Turkey once confided to me that a large part of staff training was in training them to train the guests how to behave in a five star hotel. This is a transition period where the new model grows and the old one shrinks. MSC at present can only be the beneficiary of this. In the transition however, MSC are educating their first-time guests. (Barrante's well written recent review on a b2b from US mode to EU mode illustrates the reaction of having those concessions withdrawn).

MSC announced that the most recent Fantasia class ship was the last. One never says never unless one knows there is something better in the pipeline. I like change and I can't wait to see where MSC will go next.

However, my next cruise will be aboard the oldest and smallest of MSC's current fleet visiting some of the World's current trouble spots. Variety is still the spice!

After sailing on MSC for the first time this year and having sailed on 6 star, Silverseas, Regent, and virtually every other major cruise line except Carnival and Costa, I rated MSC an excellent value for the money particularly for the solo cruiser. I also purchased their drink package which took away any of those issues. And liked their longer stays in Ports.

Sailed on a Princess Cruise last year that stopped at Buenas Aires, Argentina from 8:00 AM to 2:00PM on a 14 day cruise that also skipped a stop that left us with a total of 8 days at sea with nothing but Bingo and Trivia.

I have also already booked another MSC cruise this year with fingers crossed that the Egyptian turmoil will die down

They're obviously doing something right as they've moved up into 3rd spot for Market share.

They don't appeal to everyone but they don't have to. Neither should other lines suit everyone too. We all have different views and preferences, so it's good that there is choice.

MSC is growing by adding more huge ships that look like high density apartment buildings to their fleet.

More people per square inch, less open space, less dining options, less $$ per berth.

You get what you pay for.

Just a business model that is as old as business itself.

Not a bad model if it brings money to their owners.

I have nothing against MSC, nor I have against Walmart or Primark.

From my prospective as a consumer, I cannot afford MSC so far.

I am a vacation cruiser.

My vacation time is limited and precious.

So I have to spend my hard earned dollars on a better product than MSC is able to offer at this time.

Looking for a really budget cruise for a family of four this fall, I was ready to give a try to Divina in the Caribbean (MSC in the Mediterranean is out of the question for me) but surprisingly found a better deal on a much better ship (and itinerary).

Things happen.

If you add in Allegrissimo, the overall MSC product takes some beating at anything approaching the price. I would prefer it if MSC just included Allegrissimo in the fare as not only would that move kill most of the criticisms at a stroke but suddenly the same people would be raving about the amazing selection of speciality coffees, smoothies, milk shakes and ice creams on top of the encyclopaedic bar menu - all included.

I have spent 38 nights on Royal Caribbean ships across two thirds of the globe and the single most irritating aspect was the U.S. style service. It is intrusive and cheesy. The second most significant annoyance was the constant hard sell. I now cruise with a small toolkit to disconnect the cabin speaker because of the torture I endured on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. Thankfully on MSC I have not needed it - the announcements are very few and far between. I don't go on holiday to be irritated, annoyed and constantly harassed by sales and waiting staff. The discovery of MSC was a welcome relief for me.

The old-world style discreet service of MSC may be a by-product of the Italian theme, or it may a further market-disrupting tactic in response to reactions like mine on other lines, but it is the single most valuable aspect of a cruise with MSC.

As Amomondo says choice is good. There are many reasons why more people will try and like MSC. As I have said before, after MSC it would be very difficult to endure a cruise on an American style line.

Hmm.

Guess you could take that to an extreme, and take a ferry.

Everything's extra then.

There are pros and cons to MSC, just like the other lines. I don't see their model as taking over the world.

They're obviously doing something right as they've moved up into 3rd spot for Market share.

They don't appeal to everyone but they don't have to. Neither should other lines suit everyone too. We all have different views and preferences, so it's good that there is choice.

Third place?

Incorrect, it has a 6% share

Carnival corporation: 11 cruise brands, over 100 ships

Royal Caribbean: 5 cruise brands, 41 ships

Star cruise lines: 19 ships, 3 brands, 9% share

MSC: 6% share 12 ships

Definitely not the 3rd largest, in ships or market share

It has a found a niche market with its service and price, and many have found it acceptable

Interestingly enough, my favorite line HAL has 15 ships, and has had a rather a stable number so we will call it a niche line too, all of them seem to be promoting themselves as "niche" markets one way or another.

Skipper Tim, I never tire of reading your posts and comments to others! Would love to bump into you on a future cruise

Davidonaboat, thank you. I have never met anyone who does not eventually tire of me so that is brilliant news :). Join the swelling party on the Armonia, I know it will be extraordinary just from those I know who are going. We could do with a journalist or two to write up whatever happens, or better, a film crew.

Tim.

Davidonaboat, thank you. I have never met anyone who does not eventually tire of me so that is brilliant news :). Join the swelling party on the Armonia, I know it will be extraordinary just from those I know who are going. We could do with a journalist or two to write up whatever happens, or better, a film crew.

Tim.

A film crew?!

That can only end badly!

I have spent 38 nights on Royal Caribbean ships across two thirds of the globe and the single most irritating aspect was the U.S. style service. It is intrusive and cheesy. The second most significant annoyance was the constant hard sell. I now cruise with a small toolkit to disconnect the cabin speaker because of the torture I endured on my last Royal Caribbean cruise. Thankfully on MSC I have not needed it - the announcements are very few and far between. I don't go on holiday to be irritated, annoyed and constantly harassed by sales and waiting staff. The discovery of MSC was a welcome relief for me.

I have sailed on Carnival, RCCL and Princess. Of the three RCCL had a noticeable hard sell to the point of annoyance. You really couldn't seem to walk for more than 2 minutes without running into yet another server trying to get you to buy a drink. I'll admit it was annoying but I am not so certain this is prevalent on "all" lines.

I never had this issue on Princess or Carnival. Princess because it wasn't part of the ship's service culture, Carnival because there was a noticeable lack of staff in ALL areas period. On Carnival the servers seemed overwhelmed with FAR too many passengers per server. If anything it was the other way around, me trying to find somebody to get me a drink, or fighting the hordes at the bar.

A film crew?!

That can only end badly!

For us yes, initially. The viewers would be enthralled and then we would all be minor celebrities opening supermarkets, leading charity walks etc. Yes, you are right. Let's keep it to ourselves.

"Skip please reassure me I have picked the right cruise to do on my own !!!!!!!!! Orchestra 25/10/13"

How can it be on your own when you have an Orchestra with you ? .... :D

I will be a new cruiser with MSC on Armonia next month having done RCI & Celebrity so far and I am thoroughly looking forward to it.

Even if I do have to pay for coffee and water the ridiculous price I have paid for a cruise for four during the school holidays taking in Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu etc still makes it a very favourable comparison to a package holiday in the Costas.

My only issue is whether to take up the all inclusive drinks package or not but seeing as it is a very intensive port itinerary I don't think I could take full value from it.

Not a mankini then, disappointing : ( ooo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Funny you should say that as one is due to make an appearance week commencing 16 August :D

Sounds like MSC has a gay party atmosphere - is that so? I am trying to decide if I should try this line out, but there are so many negative reviews? Is it just that the provincial No American attitude? Is the food good on MSC? How about service - is it too laid back for average No American tastes? Cabin size? Any tips would be appreciated.

Skip please reassure me I have picked the right cruise to do on my own !!!!!!!!! Orchestra 25/10/13

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey, just learn a few words of Spanish and Italian and how to kiss mothers respectfully and you will never look back.

It looks like a great cruise - enjoy!

T.

Third place?

Incorrect, it has a 6% share

Carnival corporation: 11 cruise brands, over 100 ships

Royal Caribbean: 5 cruise brands, 41 ships

Star cruise lines: 19 ships, 3 brands, 9% share

MSC: 6% share 12 ships

Definitely not the 3rd largest, in ships or market share

It has a found a niche market with its service and price, and many have found it acceptable

Interestingly enough, my favorite line HAL has 15 ships, and has had a rather a stable number so we will call it a niche line too, all of them seem to be promoting themselves as "niche" markets one way or another.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803224&highlight=third

There were other threads on here too, saying they had become the third largest cruise line.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803224&highlight=third

There were other threads on here too, saying they had become the third largest cruise line.

What I have posted is easily verifiable with facts.

Posts/threads on CC? Just opinions usually.

I would like to see any facts if you have them.

Archived