Azamara V Silversea

flys767

Hello there, we have enjoyed three incredible cruises with Azamara. However we have been directed towards Silver Spirit. Can any one give me a CLUE as to what to do. I know the dress code Casual/Formal is a difference . HELP XXXX

About 40 years...

This comes from a fellow couple that was on our Quest British Isles cruise last summer. they, like us, are in their 40's and made that comment when we were gazing at the Silversea ship berthed next to us....FWIW.

Oh come on...it was a JOKE. Read my signature line. I enjoyed cruising on Azamara.

FWIW means "for what it's worth" and you can internet search all internet acronyms, I have to often as they seem to get created daily, IMO:D

Sorry don't know what FWTW means .

For what it's worth ...

And FWIW we had two Silversea cruises before we "discovered" Azamara ... and we have just completed Azamara cruise number 11 ...

We really enjoyed our first Silversea Cruise in 2005 and so booked the second in 2007 .. we were very disappointed with the quality of the food and the attitude of the senior officers - we were in the Caribbean and without functioning air conditioning and the "Executive Chef" appeared to know less about food than I did !

We know that many people are fiercely loyal to Silversea and wouldn't consider another line but, for us, the food, service and the amazing "can-do" attitude and friendliness of the crew on Azamara more than make up for the lack of stateroom facilities ( marble bathrooms/dressing rooms etc) that you will find on Silversea.

FWIW means For What It's Worth in Internet Slang.

I have been on Silver Spirit quite a few times. It is a beautiful small ship, very classy and certainly the Suites are much more impressive than Azamara's. The food is similar in quality, with Silversea perhaps having the slight edge. The SS crew are fantastic too, but perhaps Azamara has the edge here, due to the high visibility and interaction of Senior Officers on AZ.

Entertainment....I enjoy it very much on both ships, but the Theatre on SS is better designed, with stepped seating. There are fab Cruise Directors on both lines but I do have a clear favourite....he knows who he is! :D

Dress Code....Yes it is much more formal on SS than AZ. Everyone enjoys formal nights and a Tux is essential. You will be denied entry to bars and restaurants if not in the required dress code ....no problem for me as I love to dress up.

I love both cruise lines and you will have a wonderful time on either of them but my heart belongs to Quest....and also a rather lovely American guy. :D

Foxtrot Whiskey India Whiskey. Cheers. All your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Love the Azamara experience. How does the quality of food compare. Also , BAD ME , the smoking area. Is it an area where people meet.? XX

We have been on the Azamara as recent smokers.-- huge problem with the smoking area.,,.- to beeing non-smokers....- well this must be individual, but my feeling is that this is no problem. I can pass the smokers lounge and it can be filled with smoke and it doesn't bother me.

I have never been affected by any smoking...............

Enjoyed a cruise on the Silver Spirit in 2011 and, for the most part, enjoyed the trip; however, we found the passengers and crew to be rather aloof, and the food to be mediocre. The ship is pretty, though was in need at the time of some new carpet in places. We recently took a trip on the Oceania Nautica which we liked much better than the Silver Spirit. We are booked for our first Azamara Cruise in August..would have taken another Oceania cruise, but they didn't have the itinerary we wanted. We are looking forward to our Azamara experience!! BTW, there weren't many tuxedos/gowns on our cruise, though people dressed up more than other cruises we've taken, including Oceania.

Enjoyed a cruise on the Silver Spirit in 2011 and, for the most part, enjoyed the trip; however, we found the passengers and crew to be rather aloof, and the food to be mediocre. The ship is pretty, though was in need at the time of some new carpet in places. We recently took a trip on the Oceania Nautica which we liked much better than the Silver Spirit. We are booked for our first Azamara Cruise in August..would have taken another Oceania cruise, but they didn't have the itinerary we wanted. We are looking forward to our Azamara experience!! BTW, there weren't many tuxedos/gowns on our cruise, though people dressed up more than other cruises we've taken, including Oceania.

We had a very similar experience. But we found to food to be very disappointing, even in the specialty restaurants. :(The whole experience was a bit too formal for us. Glad we tried it, but we won't be back.

I have sailed both, so I'll try to answer. Keep in mind however, it all comes down to what YOU want. I have and am sailing both.

Silvesea is definitely more formal. That is a negative for us. We like the more relaxed nature AZ.

Silversea has a lower space to passenger ratio, therefore a bit more attentive service. That being said however, I would say that on our AZ Quest cruise we had the nicest staff we have ever had. Very friendly and the Captain was everywhere and out front meeting the passengers.

We think the staterooms on Silversea are a bit more luxurious. They are also larger in their standard staterooms. You would have to go to Continent Club or better on AZ. Everyone on SS gets butler service. Not something we necessarily care about. We also like having the separate tub and shower on SS. A little thing, but something that can make a difference.

We like having more overnights onboard the ship that Azamara offers. We also like the AZamazing Evenings. Both have deck parties that we enjoy very much.

Unlike the previous poster, we thought the food was better on Silversea. Again, food taste is very subjective and it does vary between ships as well as sailings. Nothing particularly bad on our AZ Quest sailing, but Prime C and Aqualina could not make a properly done souffle to save their lives. Also, the food on deck by the pool on SS was far and away better. I think these were the best burgers that we have ever gotten at sea. Done exactly the way we wanted them prepared. You can ask on AZ for a burger cooked to the temp you want, but it will most likely never come out that way.

Silversea is definitely more inclusive. AZ doesn't offer any sparkling wines at all as a standard pour. SS serves REAL champagne wherever and whenever. Also bar stock, we had champagne replenished daily along with Perrier. An upcharge on AZ.

What we look for is a total picture package. We tend to sail Spring and Fall. We look at the destinations we would like to go to. We look at the length of the cruise (7-14 days is the window due to work) and we look at the overall value for what you get.

Hope this helps. Whichever you choose, I don't think you can go wrong.

Thank you all so much. Really appreciate the information and input. I have come to the conclusion to stay with Azamara !! Why ? Because of all the reasons you have put above . Love Love the ships and crew. Food Ect. Being informal is very relaxing , for packing and for the "On Board " experience. It is a big plus for us. Maybe we will catch Silversea another day. XX

But, we had wonderful souffles on Journey a few weeks ago - in Aqualina and prepared by a chef from Mauritius ....

Good to know. We will be on the Journey in June. Hope he is still onboard.

BTW, I should have clarified that we were on the Quest. Don't recall ever seeing the goat cheese soufflé. We did the other twice in Prime C and once on Aqualina and they were not done. they didn't rise and were undercooked. Sent it back twice and the waiter came back and said the chef said that was the way it was supposed to be. Since we love soufflés we gave it a third try, before we finally gave up.

• 1 year later...

I love Azamara and have done one Oceania which I wasn't too mad on.

we need to cruise from dubai in april and Azamara has only no balcony cabins so thats out

and Seabourn is outrageous price so the Silverwind is reasonable.

but I have read lots of bad reports on Silverwind.

also we aren't big on formal.

not sure what to do. I do like the Silverwind ports.

any thoughts on that particular ship in comparison to Azamara Journey?

I love Azamara and have done one Oceania which I wasn't too mad on.

we need to cruise from dubai in april and Azamara has only no balcony cabins so thats out

and Seabourn is outrageous price so the Silverwind is reasonable.

but I have read lots of bad reports on Silverwind.

also we aren't big on formal.

not sure what to do. I do like the Silverwind ports.

any thoughts on that particular ship in comparison to Azamara Journey?

You might rethink the need for a balcony. We did the cruise from Mumbai to Athens in April 2014, and we never opened the balcony door for the days cruising the Gulf of Aden through the Suez canal. It was so hot, even on the back deck of Windows. Plus the drapes are drawn in all the stateroom at dusk and no one is even allowed out on the balconies at nights for those 9 nights, due to the pirates.