How much time should I allow for connecting in Amsterdam airport on our way to JFK?

stipmom

Minimumconnecting time in Amsterdam is 55 minutes. Remember security takes place at the gate, so donot come late there. Forget about shopping etc. at the airport in this case.

I am interested in these answers. I've booked a European river cruise next year, flying from my local airport to Amsterdam with an onward connecting flight. I haven't had the detailed schedule yet, but my TA said the cruise line had indicated there would be 50 minutes between flights at Amsterdam. Granted both flights will be with KLM and I'm an EU citizen, but even so that sounds much too tight to me.

We had about 2 hrs connection from BUD to YYZ via AMS...it was plenty of time to look around & grab a snack

just be sure to get to the gate earlier as you do go through the security check there

I would rather have more time than be stressed ;)

I am interested in these answers. I've booked a European river cruise next year, flying from my local airport to Amsterdam with an onward connecting flight. I haven't had the detailed schedule yet, but my TA said the cruise line had indicated there would be 50 minutes between flights at Amsterdam. Granted both flights will be with KLM and I'm an EU citizen, but even so that sounds much too tight to me.

Schengen area consists of the B, C concourses and D 59-87 gates (upper level D concourse).

Worst case; most far B gate to most far D gate, takes 20-22 minutes, can be done in less if you walk fast/use the automatic walkways smart (i.e. not standing still ;))

schipholmap.gif

(no M gates on this map, they arenear the G concourse!)

I posted this on the Cruise Air thread:

Need longer connection times.

Originally Posted by frugaltravel

"Why not let the airline use a delivery service that brings it right to your front door?

"Because there have been times when it has been almost 24 hours before the bag comes in the door. And if there is "stuff" inside that I planned on having that next day.

And, if for some reason the airline manages to misplace the bag before it gets sent to your house, even more delay."

I flew home at the end of June from Barcelona with a connection in Amsterdam (Cruise Air). I thought that 2 hours was close and, although I made the long way to the next terminal (via their Golf Cart), my Luggage did not make it.

I arrived home on a Friday and had to wait until Sunday for my luggage to be delivered. I live in the San Fernando Valley - 45 miles from LAX. Well, the poor little guy had a very small, old car but I expected a large truck or at least a van. He said that he can fit 15 pieces of luggage in his car. Yeah, right.

After he had put my luggage onto my porch and I took it into the bedroom, I discovered that one of my straps was missing. Then I had to unpack both pieces to see if anything else was missing. :eek:

I did have a "Control Number" that I got at the airport and tried to file a claim on line. Kept calling. Finally, I had to send a Fax and, just yesterday, I finally received my $26 check from Delta (code share with KLM Royal Dutch Airways). The check had the Delta name & logo on it. > Two months later.

I had thought about filing a claim with Berkeley Care since I always buy the cruise travel insurance and that covers you from the time you walk out your door until you get back to your home.

This was very time-consuming and frustrating, although now I can buy a new locking strap. :D

Sounds more like a mild inconvenience than a horror story :)

Bags go missing on many flights. Add a connection into the mix and the chances increase - 50% of delayed baggage incidents occur at transfer. I will pay a premium to take a direct flight, where possible, specifically to mitigate that risk, particularly outbound.

But to go to your suggestion, it is unlikely that increasing your connection from a very adequate 2 hours would have made much difference. It's possible the airlines didn't know your bag had not made the connection until you reported it missing on arrival - it had been misplaced, it didn't run out of time.

Archived